• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keeping a positive attitude is just hippie malarkey

Also Disc Golf's a game vs yourself. I don't see where the opponents come in!

This. Yes you are trying to place first, above the other competitors, but they are not your opponents. How they play doesn't affect your score. Playing emotionless and confident works best for me. Playing mad worked for me in basketball and football, with baseball and disc golf the game is a lot more mental and takes more focus and concentration. Also I dont see how having a good/positive attitude is feminine, and if your in a bad mood/ mad all the time, I do not want to be your friend or play a single round of disc golf with you.

Look, if you live in a little fluffy white cloud world where disc golf is your escape, and you are just out to have fun all the time... yea, have fun being a lifelong rec player.

You do not have to be an outward jerk, but if you keep an attitude where you feel you need to prove yourself, you will.

And if you think all is well in the universe, then sadly, I would tell you to lay off so much Bud Light.

You do not have to be evil to be aggressive. You just need to be focused and strong.

Look, if you live in a little fluffy white cloud world where disc golf is your escape, and you are just out to have fun all the time... yea, have fun being a lifelong rec player.

I get where you're coming from, but I personally play that way and have been steadily progressing and fluctuate lately between upper 960s to 970s and have very realistic goals of getting near 1000 in the next couple years. It is possible to have the high level of fun with sunshine, rainbows, and puppy dogs and still perform relatively well.

people are actually describing themselves and admitting to being the random *insert descriptor of choice here* on the card?

i had a guy basically tell me, "i don't like to have fun, i like to be serious. i don't like those guys. they have fun, they're too casual." "come on, guys, this is a B tier, why are you enjoying yourselves?!" "i might not play that tournament this year. it's changed. i don't like the people i played with last year." (you played with me last year...scratch my head)

thankfully most folks, even in tournaments, are friendly and easy going. even if they do stay focused and talk at a minimum when it's time to throw. that's more than fine. what's not fun is someone taking their self and their game way too serious, not acknowledging or trying to interact on any level with their card mates, and generally exhibiting a poor attitude. that attitude can hurt the group/card dynamic as a whole. or maybe you'll just be ignored. either way, it's not as enjoyable with that type on the card.

You do not have to be an outward jerk, but if you keep an attitude where you feel you need to prove yourself, you will.

And if you think all is well in the universe, then sadly, I would tell you to lay off so much Bud Light.

You do not have to be evil to be aggressive. You just need to be focused and strong.

I know your type. You don't talk much (besides muttering about shots) and you look like you are having the least amount of fun. You are the most fun people to watch throw bad shots because you can see how much it bothers you. Keep up your "winnering" attitude because some day you will be a professional living in a huge mansion. Oh wait that never happens and you will just be bitter and playing solo for the rest of your DG career. I'll be smiling and laughing with people enjoying my Coors light.

To each his own. When I play with a chip on my shoulder, I play like crap. When I'm out having fun and being positive about my shots and my rounds I play a whole lot better.

Good movie. Favorite quotes: (Chazz Palminteri="Joe", Christopher Walken="Mike")
Joe: How the f*** does that make you feel... to be in that position with all your money on the table?
Mike: How much you got, Joe?
Joe: What?
Mike: Total. You put down 80 thousand like it didn't matter. That's a lot of money for somebody like you and him. I think it matters.
Joe: What's the difference...
Mike: I'm a millionaire! That's the difference. I lose 80 I get another 80. For me it doesn't matter. See, I think it's you... who's sweating this, the both of you.
Joe: You beat them, you take their money, you call them names to their faces... and they love you. I don't know how you do it. I never saw anything like it. Beating a man out of his money, that's easy. Anybody can do that. But beating a man out of his money and making him like it... that's an art. That's an art of a true hustler.
*former competitive billiard player here...

I doubt that McBeth and Wysocki(two best players right now imnsho) ever get uber-negative at anyone or themselves. They seem to have positive outlooks and an attitude of "I can do this" as opposed to "if I don't do this I'm terrible and deserve to be beat."

I also know there are other great frolfers that are well known pessimists, carrying that attitude everywhere they go, every time they play. May work for them, but I'd rather be known as a positive for the sport we're trying to grow than a great player with a negative attitude that attracts no one.

This has got to be one of the funniest posts I've ever read on here.
" fluffy, feminine positive attitude" ??? wow, this dude must be trollin . or a sexist. As already stated, it must be an overload on the Bud Light. All that sh!tty beer going to your head, man

After years and years of this positive attitude idea that somehow a positive attitude will make everything better in your life is just not so. Stepping up behind a 30' putt and believing I can make it has zero influence on me actually making the putt.

Sure, there is a mental aspect to the game, but keeping that fluffy, feminine positive attitude isn't it. Sure, on that beautiful, sunny, no wind, perfect day, playing by yourself, no groups in front of or behind you, yes, a positive attitude will work.

But get into a dogfight on a windy, cloudy day that is cold and spitting rain, and everyone is pressuring you to hurry up, the Mary Poppins thought pattern doesn't cut it.

Keep a negative thought pattern. Create a huge bolder, and put it on your shoulder. Have an attitude. If someone says "hi", pretend they said, "you are going to fail." Have a mental attitude that really states the plastic smiles and faces of disc golf. The other players WANT you to lose.

Now, go tick them off by winning.

So happy = feminine? Somebody wasn't hugged as a child.

Good luck with that attitude. You're confusing anger with focus.

Last edited:
Everyone has their way of finding focus. It is definitely good to want to win, as opposed to not caring either way.

However, if you are going to go around tournaments throwing stuff around, drive into the basket from 5 feet away and the like, you will certainly not focus better, and will end up with courtesy violations and such. My buddy regularly gets angry in this way, but I think he needs it to get out his daily angst.

I get ya Elvis. You will likely come around with age and maturity. I played sports and often used aggression, anger and intesity to kick start preformance, but it is a false prophet. All the Cobain angst starts to disappear as you come to realize external success in nowhere near as important without internal peace and success. The measure of a man is not what he does it is who he is. Life is too short to spend all of it looking for trophies to fill the mantle. Good luck winning brother, I am going to smell the flowers.

Well I don't know about all that, but I do fully support your right to drink Bud Light. To each his own. Screw all the beer snobs!

Oh yeah?! Well screw all the swill "beer" drinkers!!! :p :pffffftsmiley:

Also: Obama's the best prez eV-A!

*fulfills yearly quota of sloppydisc rilin'*

Hey, if winning isn't for you, load your ipod with some REM 'shiny happy people holding hands', keep that head in the clouds, and better luck next year.

To each their own.

Latest posts