• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's talk Overhand...

nb2210

Par Member
I throw a lot of tommys, and am working more thumbers into my game. I'm trying to find some other overhand throwers to talk technique with..

What would you like to discuss? Let me sing you the song of my people...

I throw both tomahawks and thumbers. Tommy for distance with control (compared to my longer RHBH drive) and thumbers for any and everything. Skip thumbers, accurate shorter drives (150'-250'), tight gaps, escape shots, high lobs with no turnover. You name it, I'll talk about it.:thmbup:

I really just truly discovered the thumber this year... slowly working towards the right mold for me before making it a serious contender in my game. I've kind of arrived at the Opto XXX, but want to try it in GoldLine next.
SUCH a fun throw.
Plenty of guys in my area use it a lot too.

Also a fan of both the thumber and the tomahawk. I like my Flick and Firebird in particular, but it's fun to throw others as well. The tomahawk (or hammer, from ultimate) is also particularly useful for "get out of trouble" situations.

I've been developing thumbers lately. Disc selection is huge.

150 class FLAT FIREBIRDS
Flat XXX.

I can't throw these discs backhand as far as I can throw them OH.

I started throwing mainly tommys, but the thumber is starting to seem more versatile... Like its easier to control the flight so I can get different shots...

Are you using the same discs for both... I throw flat dx firebirds for accuracy anywhere out to about 275... I can get my flicks and a nuke os out deeper but not as predictably

Interesting... I have a flat ti force, but have never tried it.. I'll have to check that out..

My limited insight - pulled mainly from 2 guys that I've seen throw thumbers much longer than I would have thought possible. They took me from 200' to 300' in short order.

1. Thumb needs to be able to hook in to the rim in a way that can tolerate the hit. Slipping early is just as detrimental to OH distance as it is in throwing a backhand. One guy pinches the flight plate, the other does the "gun" shaped grip.

2. Follow through:

Baseball_pitching_motion_2004.jpg

You wouldn't see a pitcher pulling up short. Follow through across your body. This added an additional 50' to my distance IMMEDIATELY. I had been trying to throw OH shots like a football pass, which is incorrect for a high long thumber.

3. Vertical disc at release. It's very easy to get the top or the disc angled out to the right at the ejection point. The issue with this is that the shape of the disc flight is cut short because you've already put it into the first 1/3 of the shape of the flight. Thrown vertical, you get an optimum grip - good power transfer into the disc and a full flight path. I would guess that you could release a thumber with the top of the disc angled to the left and extend the flight path, but at the detriment of being able to hold the disc well (and maybe your shoulder).

4. Loose. Loose. Loose. Every single time I tried to throw it hard, I ended up throwing it too forward. I go back to throwing baseballs: https://youtu.be/9w3xwYIx17s?t=157

Don't know if "vertical disc at release" is necessarily always true. Maybe if you're aiming for max distance.

I don't have the shoulder for full-strength overhand shots anymore, but I still throw them a LOT up to about 225' if I'm in trouble. I use an old CE Firebird pretty much 95% of the time, I'll sometimes throw a C-PD for a more gradual flip. I always default to thumbers instead of tomahawks unless I need the disc to flip the other way- I can get a cleaner and more consistent release with my thumb inside the disc.

I adjust my release angle depending on how much or (how fast) I want the disc to flip over. I've found that the key for accuracy is to really focus on a spot that you want the disc to travel through, and don't take your eyes off that spot. If I really miss on a thumber, chances are I took my eye off the target during my wind-up. Throw smooth and follow through. Not a whole lot else to it.

I'm seeing some improvement, but this is day 3, so lots of rough-around -the-edges.

Nothing is hurting, so that's good.

I think you're on to something with 150 class FBs.
I was using near max FBs and not liking it. XXX weight doesn't seem to be as much of an issue.
Also, I want to try a Kastaplast Rask sometime if I can get my hands on one.

i throw thumbers and tomahawks and i also throw a good amount of baseball style rollers. for instance, i'll take an H1 and throw it overhand in a tommy grip, but directly into the ground in front of me. they are a pretty major part of my approach game.

I throw RHBH and LHFH, so the LH gets all the OH duties. i use it to compensate for no RHFH game when I'm not comfortable throwing a short turnover, or to turn and skip toward the basket on the approach with no good BH line.

for instance

109de1f4.jpg

the two guardians in this are gone, unfortunately, and the basket is moved back to the right into a pocket in the woods, in that darker area. the flippy polecat or summit shot that starts hyzer, flips up and over is kind of tough to nail consistently. a hard LH tommy can skip around the corner with the right amount of height, or i can chuck a PD on the ground flat and it will curl right at the top of the hill.

i lay down either a BH roller, a turnover or a OH roller on this hole too. as time goes by i've started to favor the LHOH roller.

e2d0f000.jpg

this is just a couple examples of driving situations at a local course, but i find many more opportunities on the approach vs the drive, not necessarily for scrambling.

i will say, however, i have not much power on my OH game whatsoever, and even less on my FH game. i probably top out around 240' at the most. it's funny, since i used to play baseball and had an okay arm (in high school). haven't played in forever, though.

i'll get to working on some of these tips again, try to get the magic back.

What is the grip for a tommy and how does arm travel? I am planning on working on overhand throws this year. I can throw thumbers and tomahawks to get out of trouble. But would like to improve both throws. I have have heard of Tommy's but can't find how it is done? Any help would be appreciated!!

What is the grip for a tommy and how does arm travel? I am planning on working on overhand throws this year. I can throw thumbers and tomahawks to get out of trouble. But would like to improve both throws. I have have heard of Tommy's but can't find how it is done? Any help would be appreciated!!

Tim,
Go to the Aerobie web site and look at the short videos there (of throwing thumbers and tomahawks).
Even though I did it for the Epic (and explain the flights if it), the body positioning is the same for all OH throws no matter what disc you use.

HyzerUni:
Let me suggest that you 'follow after' your shot more. You seem to be pulling down (collapsing your chest) a bit too much instead of "following after" the disc...sort of like wanting to fly directly in its wake. Don't worry, you won't...gravity WILL bring you back to earth very quickly ;) .

I have a 1st run 150 class Z Flick that is great for tommies.

Just for fun, go out and OH a Roadrunner or something similar.

Report back.

Hmmmm.... now I kind of want to try out an Aerobie Epic. Theres something I never expected to say.

Latest posts