• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Live Coverage Came "Of Age"

So I think it's a fair question, and this might be the best place to ask.

How long before the free final day broadcast on YouTube goes away?

I would expect at some point it does. Either once enough people are paying monthly for DGN to prove the concept works, or in order to significantly improve live broadcast capabilities a large cash infusion is needed.

I don't even understand the current paywall. The revenue off subscriptions must out earn the potential for sponsors????

Putting the last day behind a paywall will take my 2 or 3 views a season off live coverage.

I reiterate.....more eyes equal more money....now or potentially. IMO.

It was fun to watch and amazing drama. I don't want to bog down this thread with my pessimistic view (pragmatic to me)of the future of disc golf.

They sold 1400 tickets out instantly and would have sold double that if it wasn't being limited due to covid. People were all over the internet trying to buy tickets. This sports future is blindingly bright, I'd bet the house on it.

We will have 5000 spectators lining the ball golf fairways at Worlds in 3 years or less, and the only thing stopping that will be covid going endemic.

Last edited:
I don't even understand the current paywall. The revenue off subscriptions must out earn the potential for sponsors????

Putting the last day behind a paywall will take my 2 or 3 views a season off live coverage.

I reiterate.....more eyes equal more money....now or potentially. IMO.

Yeah. I know you have said that before. But sponsors will still only pay so much... and potential doesn't pay the bills now. And yes, the subs VERY MUCH pay the bills over sponsors. We only have room for so many commercials in a broadcast. About 14-17 minutes in a 6 hour broadcast.

I don't know the future of Worlds coverage. That is a PDGA agreement that will be discussed. And I don't know how long the final day will continue to be free for DGPT, nothing has been decided. Or nothing has been shared with me about it. I am sure those conversations are happening somewhere.

We also do hang on players after tee shots, it is by design. As I say, going from camera 3 (reacts) to camera 2 (catch). I don't always care about the over the shoulder shot. If it is a wide open shot AND you have seen it already from another player's throw, sometimes I like to show the player reacting in the moment and then cut over to the disc in mid flight or close to landing. We have all seen a hyzer. And I usually do it on players that are out of contention as to not risk missing something crazy happening. I will continue to do it. I like seeing players faces react.

Hats off for you doing what you feel is right over what the popular opinion might be but watching someone's reaction in real time as apposed to the actual shot is very frustrating as a viewer. Like I keep waiting for the camera to show the shot and it just comes too late.

The Shot is gonna be the clip that lands the PDGA a cable TV deal to carry Worlds and probably more NTs & majors too. They already dipped their toe in the water and it came off well on TV. Huge opportunity to get in on the ground floor of TV coverage of a sport seeing hockey stick growth in interest and participation.

I didn't see anyone answer your question, but they are not associated.

Thank you. So there are 4 separate entities doing post pro.

I assumed GK was short for Gate Keeper :doh:

Maybe it's just me, but f I were the 2nd of those two chronologically, I'd have chosen a name that doesn't make people think of my competition.

Like I wouldn't name my pro DG film company "JPDG Media" ...too close to Jomez Pro.

I thought the coverage was great and the overall production gets better and better. I can even live with all of Doss' excessive talking and Ian's fanboi style (Philo is the real deal), but what the announcers have to stop doing is projecting what is about to happen. This is an unwritten rule of broadcasting. Nate and Ian are constantly stating "that will be a birdie" or "we will be all tied up after this hole" when a player has a 15 footer left. Please stop assuming they are going to make their putts. Sometimes they miss and sometimes the basket spits out a good putt. Let's just wait and see what happens. Also - it is not a good look for disc golf to assume that 15-20 footers are so easy. Next thing you know there will be people suggesting to make the basket smaller...

@jvphobic ... thank you for coming on here and explaining how things are working. I really appreciate it. Do you guys know when you will add the ability to pause and rewind during live broadcasts on the DGN app? It is really a bummer not being able to back when you miss something or to start the round an hour after you get home from work. I know you can do it watching on a PC, but it would be great to have that ability when watching on the app.

Hats off for you doing what you feel is right over what the popular opinion might be but watching someone's reaction in real time as apposed to the actual shot is very frustrating as a viewer. Like I keep waiting for the camera to show the shot and it just comes too late.

Horsman, I totally get that. But sometimes that angle of them throwing right at the camera is way better. And then the reaction is fun. And honestly, it is only about 3 times a broadcast I try that. Because it has to be the right hole and the right player. Post production has the advantage of going back in time. They can kinda fool the viewer that the reaction was after the shot. We can't do that. It has to be linear, or we have to go back and show it.

There was one guy on Reddit who was REALLY bothered by it a few months ago. So I mentally dedicate it to him almost every time now. I smile EVERY TIME I do it thinking about how much it bothered him. My own way of being a troll.

@jvphobic ... thank you for coming on here and explaining how things are working. I really appreciate it. Do you guys know when you will add the ability to pause and rewind during live broadcasts on the DGN app? It is really a bummer not being able to back when you miss something or to start the round an hour after you get home from work. I know you can do it watching on a PC, but it would be great to have that ability when watching on the app.

I don't know squat about the apps. I think you might be able to do that on the web app or the Roku??? I do know that Vimeo is working on an entire new framework that is supposed to be out by fall. So maybe that will help out whatever platform you are talking about. But all the app creation stuff is done by Vimeo and the DGN pays for that.

I don't know squat about the apps. I think you might be able to do that on the web app or the Roku??? I do know that Vimeo is working on an entire new framework that is supposed to be out by fall. So maybe that will help out whatever platform you are talking about. But all the app creation stuff is done by Vimeo and the DGN pays for that.

Gotcha - thanks for the reply

Doss hate. Uggg. So over it. He was not the right person to lead a booth, and when it was him and Val, it was WAY too much for 6+ hours. But he is good as a 2nd or 3rd. People say that he fanboys on McBeth, and maybe so. But guess what. McBeth is the greatest and always needs to be watched. He is our Tiger. When he popped up on the top 10 leaderboard he kept climbing, right to the top that round. That is why you always talk about McBeth and why we always keep a camera on him if he is in the top 3 cards. (PS. I personally like Collinsworth)

Doesn't particularly matter if you're "over it," as the fanbase (a.k.a. your own customer base) clearly is not. Being a good athlete =/= being a good broadcaster. Nate has had plenty of time to get better, and he clearly hasn't. He adds nothing, especially with Philo now in the booth to provide a pro's perspective. Meanwhile, he actively detracts from the other two commentators, and won't be quiet during the greatest moment the sport has seen. Nate seems like a nice guy, but he's not cut out for this job.

There was one guy on Reddit who was REALLY bothered by it a few months ago. So I mentally dedicate it to him almost every time now. I smile EVERY TIME I do it thinking about how much it bothered him. My own way of being a troll.

I love you JVD, I will now love it every time I see it.

Doesn't particularly matter if you're "over it," as the fanbase (a.k.a. your own customer base) clearly is not. Being a good athlete =/= being a good broadcaster. Nate has had plenty of time to get better, and he clearly hasn't. He adds nothing, especially with Philo now in the booth to provide a pro's perspective. Meanwhile, he actively detracts from the other two commentators, and won't be quiet during the greatest moment the sport has seen. Nate seems like a nice guy, but he's not cut out for this job.

I don't know what you are talking about with Nate talking over the shot. He didn't say a WORD. I just watched it again. Conrad threw, it was silent. The basket hits and Ian goes nuts with the "No Way" comments. Doss didn't talk until Conrad was running back to his lie, WELL AFTER everyone else in the booth. And all he said was that McBeth still had to get up and down now. Watch it again and tell me that Doss wasn't the MOST professional in the booth at that moment.

My complaint with Doss in that moment is that he didn't give it room to breathe. The shot happens, the crowd is going crazy, let the ambience of the moment speak for itself. He could have waited a bit longer before giving his rather obvious take. A professional knows how to read the moment.

Doesn't particularly matter if you're "over it," as the fanbase (a.k.a. your own customer base) clearly is not. Being a good athlete =/= being a good broadcaster. Nate has had plenty of time to get better, and he clearly hasn't.

It doesn't matter what the fanbase says. Joe Buck is HATED. Chris Collinsworth is HATED. Troy Aikman is HATED. And all of them have million dollar jobs and contracts.

I don't make the commentator decisions. If I did, people would hate me because some of the most beloved post production commentators I don't love. My dream team is:
McCall (maybe Charlie E) on play by play
Climo or Juliana on color
Dixon chiming in with stats
Terry in the field & interviews

Oh, and a disc brand or model would so RARELY ever be called out.

Remember, the people who are vocal are usually the people who hate something. The people who like something rarely speak up. The DGN continues to get more and more subs, and all with Doss at the mic. So... take that for what you will.

I don't know what you are talking about with Nate talking over the shot. He didn't say a WORD. I just watched it again. Conrad threw, it was silent. The basket hits and Ian goes nuts with the "No Way" comments. Doss didn't talk until Conrad was running back to his lie, WELL AFTER everyone else in the booth. And all he said was that McBeth still had to get up and down now. Watch it again and tell me that Doss wasn't the MOST professional in the booth at that moment.
Somebody at work had heard about the shot so I played the video for a group of people who don't play disc golf. They unanimously wanted to kill Ian for wailing "NO WAY" at screeching levels and totally losing his cool. Nobody said anything about what Nate Doss said.

We have this same thing every fall when the NFL goes live and the Joe Buck hate starts rolling. There is no way for a sports announcer to make people happy. It's the gig.

Latest posts