• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Live Coverage Came "Of Age"

I don't make the commentator decisions. If I did, people would hate me because some of the most beloved post production commentators I don't love. My dream team is:
McCall (maybe Charlie E) on play by play
Climo or Juliana on color
Dixon chiming in with stats
Terry in the field & interviews

I wouldn't mind this team.

Honest question: Is Robert McCall involved with any disc golf video production any more? Haven't seen him lately.

@jvphobic ... thank you for coming on here and explaining how things are working. I really appreciate it.
^This.

Genuinely appreciate when people who truly know weigh in here, when most of us are simply guessing, imagining, ....or smoking crack.

*tips cap to Chuck K. too ;)*

I wouldn't mind this team.

Honest question: Is Robert McCall involved with any disc golf video production any more? Haven't seen him lately.

Not really. Not since he moved to TX. It is a loss for the DG media community for sure.

I don't even understand the current paywall. The revenue off subscriptions must out earn the potential for sponsors????

Putting the last day behind a paywall will take my 2 or 3 views a season off live coverage.

I reiterate.....more eyes equal more money....now or potentially. IMO.

Seems like Steve Dodge was a big proponent for live coverage with the DGPT since day one. I'm not sure if that was because it was a part of the big picture DGPT business model originally, or because the DGWT was doing post production and no live coverage, or something else.

I'd always thought the free final round coverage was there pretty much as a proof of concept. Make it free to see how many viewers you would actually get. The diehard fans were already paying monthly for DGN, so you could look at how many subscribers you had compared to the number of people watching the free live coverage.

Eventually live coverage numbers increase enough to be confident saying ok we've improved the product a lot the last couple seasons but now we've gotta invest more into hardware so all live coverage will need now be available through DGN. Post production would still be there as the free coverage.

If free spectating is going away I would expect free coverage will too at some point. As far as advertising goes, I'd assume most of that would be done as signage on the course like it is now? I hadn't thought about the limited ad time until JVD mentioned it. Signage on the course would at least be visible during a lot of the footage.

Seems like Steve Dodge was a big proponent for live coverage with the DGPT since day one. I'm not sure if that was because it was a part of the big picture DGPT business model originally, or because the DGWT was doing post production and no live coverage, or something else.

I'd always thought the free final round coverage was there pretty much as a proof of concept. Make it free to see how many viewers you would actually get. The diehard fans were already paying monthly for DGN, so you could look at how many subscribers you had compared to the number of people watching the free live coverage.

Eventually live coverage numbers increase enough to be confident saying ok we've improved the product a lot the last couple seasons but now we've gotta invest more into hardware so all live coverage will need now be available through DGN. Post production would still be there as the free coverage.

If free spectating is going away I would expect free coverage will too at some point. As far as advertising goes, I'd assume most of that would be done as signage on the course like it is now? I hadn't thought about the limited ad time until JVD mentioned it. Signage on the course would at least be visible during a lot of the footage.

Everyone is glad I don't run the DGPT. ;) But if it were me, I would probably have one more year of free post production. Then after growth slows way down at DGN (and it eventually will), I would look at hiring an experienced editing crew to take the footage and make the lead card's post production behind the paywall, that would force some hands. Then you control both live and post and can sell ads against that. I would still release it for free on YouTube, but it wouldn't be for a few days after the event on the DGN YouTube channel. I would still allow all other cards to be covered by other post production crews.

Course advertising is good. But I still think the video coverage advertising is more important.

Then again, I don't know ANYTHING about the behind the scenes money stuff that goes on because I am technically just a contractor.

Just a couple thoughts.

I really disliked Aikman... as a player... since I'm a Redskins fan. I actually like him on commentary, though.

As far as DGN commentators go...

I really like Ian. His voice and style are engrained in me from watching all of the CCDG stuff.

Doss is my least favorite of the three. He does seem to be doing better with knowing that sometimes less is more, and seems more willing to not say anything than he was in the past. That could be related to...

Philo. I really like Philo. His knowledge, voice, and overall feel for it are excellent. There are two things I hope that he works on, though.

He has a tendency to finish the other guy's sentences and interrupts a bit in general. I also find that once he gets on a roll "with a saying" he tends to overuse it. The one that comes to mind now is "follow the vapor trail."

Hopefully the team continues to grow and learn. I think that things are going in the right direction and wouldn't mind this team sticking together for a while.

I pretty consistently feel like FPO commentary is better than MPO commentary. Ian doing MPO has certainly helped, but overall I like the rotating crew of FPO commentators best.

I dont have any complaint about the mpo commentators. FPO Hannah just needs to shut up. IDK why she really gets under my skin. To me she brings absolutely nothing to the show. I say this while Paul being my fav player since his first worlds win. I feel like she has a huge distaste for Paige and made it evident. Again this is just my opinion and I think Hannah is there bc of who she is married too.

Those "morons" have brought a bit of fun and quirkiness that all sports have enjoyed throughout history.

Nope. Never going to agree that intentionally making an ass of yourself, for the sole purpose of being seen is legit. Stand around in a crowd with dumb shorts and no shirt.....fine. Running around looking for a camera and jumping into a lake behind those being filmed to be noticed is a cry for help. This guy should have stayed in mom's basement.

This is the guy that lead Van Pelt to comment that you would have to been pretty stoned to be at a disc golf tournament.

Oddly, this fun and quirkiness history is only since the advent of TV.

I think Ian's reaction was perfect.... He has such unbridled passion for the game and it was on full display.

It's something that i think is missing from a lot of live sports nowadays in the era of national broadcast teams and the dwindling local live coverage.

"Havlicek stole the ball!"

The radio broadcast for your local team is probably the only place you regularly hear that kind of excitement anymore. Although, on TV broadcasts you sometimes have the opposite "Vitale" problem where someone is brought in as almost a hype-man, and I'm not particularly a fan of that, as it usually comes off as manufactured.

There is nothing quite like someone doing a call who genuinely loves what they are seeing and is caught up in it.

I dont have any complaint about the mpo commentators. FPO Hannah just needs to shut up. IDK why she really gets under my skin. To me she brings absolutely nothing to the show. I say this while Paul being my fav player since his first worlds win. I feel like she has a huge distaste for Paige and made it evident. Again this is just my opinion and I think Hannah is there bc of who she is married too.

She may have gotten a foot in the door because of Paul but imo Hannah is the best of the ladies commentating at this point. She does her homework and has improved steadily from one event to the next.

She may have gotten a foot in the door because of Paul but imo Hannah is the best of the ladies commentating at this point. She does her homework and has improved steadily from one event to the next.

She has improved and is fine to listen to. She is, of course, essentially a full time broadcaster. She should do her homework. Nearly all the other color commentators are full time players. Giving them far less time to work on that skill.

My only hate for Doss.... is that he's not playing anymore. He's too young and talented to be retired.

Even more so I gotta think Val, watching FPO this year and seeing all the attention, opportunities and money going towards FPO nowadays, and seeing a lot of the missed opportunities during that final Worlds round, has got to be thinking woulda, coulda, shoulda...

She has improved and is fine to listen to. She is, of course, essentially a full time broadcaster. She should do her homework. Nearly all the other color commentators are full time players. Giving them far less time to work on that skill.

I her defense she's still only 26/27. Sarah is pushing 40, so of course she's going to be much more confident and wise in general. Hannah's still pretty young, she'll continue to get better.

I almost exclusively watch post coverage, but most of the FPO players are way too nice and afraid of hurting feelings when doing commentary. If you are a sub 60% C1X putter and you leave yourself 25 feet on a stock 150 foot hyzer approach, it isn't a nice shot. I think Hannah is less afraid to address those kind of things and that puts her in front of a lot of the other ladies.

I was extremely pissed off because I had a coworker spoil it for me, who has disced like one time in the last 10 years.

I feel robbed that I couldn't just watch it post-production, spoiler free, like all the other tourneys. Robbed I say!! That must have been insane to watch live/unspoiled.

I was extremely pissed off because I had a coworker spoil it for me, who has disced like one time in the last 10 years.

I feel robbed that I couldn't just watch it post-production, spoiler free, like all the other tourneys. Robbed I say!! That must have been insane to watch live/unspoiled.

Imagine the people who caught it on ESPN Saturday night or Sunday morning. Jomez didn't come out until well into the afternoon.

Latest posts