• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Live Coverage Came "Of Age"

"Havlicek stole the ball!"

The radio broadcast for your local team is probably the only place you regularly hear that kind of excitement anymore. Although, on TV broadcasts you sometimes have the opposite "Vitale" problem where someone is brought in as almost a hype-man, and I'm not particularly a fan of that, as it usually comes off as manufactured.

There is nothing quite like someone doing a call who genuinely loves what they are seeing and is caught up in it.

I can't see the name Havlicek without thinking of this anymore...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnMmw50ERME - Go to 3:15.
HAVLICEK!

Imagine the people who caught it on ESPN Saturday night or Sunday morning. Jomez didn't come out until well into the afternoon.

Ha, yeah, you wouldn't expect a DG spoiler there all right! Nothing is safe anymore.

I can't see the name Havlicek without thinking of this anymore...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnMmw50ERME - Go to 3:15.
HAVLICEK!

Not a criticism of you, but man that kinda sports content (or really any content) really grinds my gears. As much as overly fawning coverage can be annoying, the "I hate life and it's those guys fault" schtick is old before it's even new. But some people love it. Fundamentally different outlooks or something.

Sorry, we now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of disc golf coverage.

Not a criticism of you, but man that kinda sports content (or really any content) really grinds my gears. As much as overly fawning coverage can be annoying, the "I hate life and it's those guys fault" schtick is old before it's even new. But some people love it. Fundamentally different outlooks or something.

Sorry, we now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of disc golf coverage.
Ha. I heard that rant via LeBatard, making fun of it. HAVLICEK!

Great tourney, great finish, great coverage). It is also great that you all are finally seeing how if the sport follows ball golf (like the coverage did), it is better for the sport overall.

I agree with Charlie Eisenhood being excellent. I hadn't really heard him before. Similar to Ian Anderson who is also excellent.

Its now a live sports event.... Im a paramedic and watched it all day, granted not while I was with a patient. But I swear it kills me to say it and sound remotely close to brodie but you cant spoil a live event. You just got to pay the 10 bucks its really not that much to buy. Think of it as a DX or Pro D putter.

Its now a live sports event.... Im a paramedic and watched it all day, granted not while I was with a patient. But I swear it kills me to say it and sound remotely close to brodie but you cant spoil a live event. You just got to pay the 10 bucks its really not that much to buy. Think of it as a DX or Pro D putter.

Ha, I'm not watching TV or videos of any kind during prime daylight on a summer weekend day. It's not because I'm cheap. If I was at work, that'd be a different story!

What's crazy to me is that I had multiple people, who don't disc golf or care about disc golf, send me a link and spoil it. It was actual mainstream viral 'news' that a long-haired professional disc golfer hit an amazing shot. 5 years ago it would be #8 on Top Ten, now it's freaking front page on probably hundreds of news feeds. That to me is crazy.

Ha, I'm not watching TV or videos of any kind during prime daylight on a summer weekend day. It's not because I'm cheap. If I was at work, that'd be a different story!

What's crazy to me is that I had multiple people, who don't disc golf or care about disc golf, send me a link and spoil it. It was actual mainstream viral 'news' that a long-haired professional disc golfer hit an amazing shot. 5 years ago it would be #8 on Top Ten, now it's freaking front page on probably hundreds of news feeds. That to me is crazy.

I watch it like pro football every sunday I will be watching my seahawks play. Just how I am. I love sports.

Nate Doss / Philo Braithwaite / Ian Anderson rose to the moment with the Conrad Miracle. I thought their commentary all weekend was great, and now they have a call for the ages.

There is nothing like live coverage for these big moments. This was a defining moment for the sport.

Glad I was able to "participate" in that outpouring of joy in real time from 2,800 miles away.

For me, there is something about Ian Anderson that I cant get enough of. Combine that with Philo's experience and excessive chillness with Doss's pedigree and more intense analysis and its a trifecta for me. I like the more laid back, but serious enough to not come off all dodgebally style I guess.

It doesn't matter what the fanbase says. Joe Buck is HATED. Chris Collinsworth is HATED. Troy Aikman is HATED. And all of them have million dollar jobs and contracts.

I don't make the commentator decisions. If I did, people would hate me because some of the most beloved post production commentators I don't love. My dream team is:
McCall (maybe Charlie E) on play by play
Climo or Juliana on color
Dixon chiming in with stats
Terry in the field & interviews

Oh, and a disc brand or model would so RARELY ever be called out.

Remember, the people who are vocal are usually the people who hate something. The people who like something rarely speak up. The DGN continues to get more and more subs, and all with Doss at the mic. So... take that for what you will.

I like a lot of your thoughts here John. However, I really disagree with not mentioning the model of disc. Why would you avoid this?

For me, it shows how someone is approaching a hole before they throw it, and therefore allows me to spend less mental energy figuring out where the disc is going to go/what shot will be thrown. I can watch the player throw, then after looking at their form, I can move my eyes to the shot because I know ahead of time (roughly) where it's going/how it's going to fly.

I also get a clearer insight into their thinking. This was especially important while watching a tournament at high altitude where discs are flying differently. When I watched the live coverage of the tournament and McBeth threw his drive on 18 (final round), I thought "nah that doesn't go OB since it's a Force, it'll get down quickly." When I watched Jomez and saw that Paul threw an Undertaker, I understood why Paul was yelling "Get down." He was afraid the understable disc would never flip up and keep riding left. Adding little tidbits like that add to the coverage for smarter players.

If you don't want to provide "unpaid ads" for companies, I get that. But even saying "overstable mid" or "straight fairway" would help. Might be a bit awkward at first since the norms of disc golf lingo shy away from those terms, but it wouldn't take long for them to become normal since they clearly communicate the idea.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of thoughts, I'd love to hear why you don't like it. You've thought about coverage details much more than I have.

The Shot is gonna be the clip that lands the PDGA a cable TV deal to carry Worlds and probably more NTs & majors too. They already dipped their toe in the water and it came off well on TV. Huge opportunity to get in on the ground floor of TV coverage of a sport seeing hockey stick growth in interest and participation.
New contract with ESPN :cool:

I like a lot of your thoughts here John. However, I really disagree with not mentioning the model of disc. Why would you avoid this?

For me, it shows how someone is approaching a hole before they throw it, and therefore allows me to spend less mental energy figuring out where the disc is going to go/what shot will be thrown. I can watch the player throw, then after looking at their form, I can move my eyes to the shot because I know ahead of time (roughly) where it's going/how it's going to fly.

I also get a clearer insight into their thinking. This was especially important while watching a tournament at high altitude where discs are flying differently. When I watched the live coverage of the tournament and McBeth threw his drive on 18 (final round), I thought "nah that doesn't go OB since it's a Force, it'll get down quickly." When I watched Jomez and saw that Paul threw an Undertaker, I understood why Paul was yelling "Get down." He was afraid the understable disc would never flip up and keep riding left. Adding little tidbits like that add to the coverage for smarter players.

If you don't want to provide "unpaid ads" for companies, I get that. But even saying "overstable mid" or "straight fairway" would help. Might be a bit awkward at first since the norms of disc golf lingo shy away from those terms, but it wouldn't take long for them to become normal since they clearly communicate the idea.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of thoughts, I'd love to hear why you don't like it. You've thought about coverage details much more than I have.

To be clear. I don't mind "overstable mid" or "fairway driver". I would avoid the free advertisement of sponsors specific models. And we all know that Ricky has 5 different destroyers. What is the point of telling someone he is throwing a destroyer when they all do completely different things. And none of them are probably working that way for the viewer anyway.

And many times during live it involves our guys guessing as to what the disc is based on it's color. How many times do you hear Ian say, "I THINK that is..." And Ian is great and has a list of most of their discs, he would know more than ANYONE else. It just adds another level of people being wrong about things and future awkward convos that will have to be had with sponsors.