• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Long Range Cobra

zenbot

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
My friend gave me a bunch of discs that his uncle used to play with. There was a Cobra that was labeled as a "Long Range Driver". Anybody know when the Cobra became a Mid Range disc?

Nope but do you have a pic? I would love to see it.

My friend gave me a bunch of discs that his uncle used to play with. There was a Cobra that was labeled as a "Long Range Driver". Anybody know when the Cobra became a Mid Range disc?

I may be wrong, but that disc must be from the 90s.

A cobra is not what I would throw for a long range disc.
I think of them as a user friendly beginner disc, imho.

This is the DX chart
cobra.gif

I may be wrong, but that disc must be from the 90s.
The 90's were a happy, ambiguous time. The discs rarely had defined uses on them. Some did like the Gazelle and Cheetah, but most did not. The Cobra looked like this:
001-2-1.jpg

It was marketed as a driver, kind of the fairway driver of the day. A disc that was a second cousin to the Cobra that did have a defined use on the stamp was the Moray.
005-2-1.jpg

As you can see, it's a "medium to long range driver," whatever that means.

At any rate, the defined use of a lot of discs has changed over time. Back in the early 90's, there was no such thing as a midrange so far as I could tell. There were putters and drivers. It really wasn't until disc like the Cyclone and Gazelle came out that some discs like the Shark and Roc started being called "mid-range" discs. The Aero, XD and Classic Roc all used to be called mid-ranges, now they are listed as putters. The Eagle used to be sold as an "ultra long-range driver," now it's a fairway driver.

A curious thing I have noticed is that currently the Stingray and Cobra are listed by Innova as being speed 4 while the Panther is listed as speed 5. Back in the 90's both the Stingray and Cobra were marketed as divers, while the Panther was always marketed as a Mid-Range. Of course, speed as a rating had not been invented back then. All of the terms and ratings are pretty subjective.

The 90's were a happy, ambiguous time. The discs rarely had defined uses on them. Some did like the Gazelle and Cheetah, but most did not. The Cobra looked like this:
001-2-1.jpg

It was marketed as a driver, kind of the fairway driver of the day. A disc that was a second cousin to the Cobra that did have a defined use on the stamp was the Moray.
005-2-1.jpg

As you can see, it's a "medium to long range driver," whatever that means.

At any rate, the defined use of a lot of discs has changed over time. Back in the early 90's, there was no such thing as a midrange so far as I could tell. There were putters and drivers. It really wasn't until disc like the Cyclone and Gazelle came out that some discs like the Shark and Roc started being called "mid-range" discs. The Aero, XD and Classic Roc all used to be called mid-ranges, now they are listed as putters. The Eagle used to be sold as an "ultra long-range driver," now it's a fairway driver.

A curious thing I have noticed is that currently the Stingray and Cobra are listed by Innova as being speed 4 while the Panther is listed as speed 5. Back in the 90's both the Stingray and Cobra were marketed as divers, while the Panther was always marketed as a Mid-Range. Of course, speed as a rating had not been invented back then. All of the terms and ratings are pretty subjective.
Great post. Thank you.

I have a classic cobra which is different from my champ cobras. Maybe that is what it is?

Man Three Putt, it would be awesome if you had some time to sit down and do a nice big historical write up for those of us that got into the game late. I know I would appreciate it immensely and I always like learning about stuff like this...especially since we got into the game very casually during the 3 factory time at Innova and I am just discovering details about that from you.

Man Three Putt, it would be awesome if you had some time to sit down and do a nice big historical write up for those of us that got into the game late. I know I would appreciate it immensely and I always like learning about stuff like this...especially since we got into the game very casually during the 3 factory time at Innova and I am just discovering details about that from you.
That would be a great coffee table book. A pictorial history of Innova.

I have a classic cobra which is different from my champ cobras. Maybe that is what it is?
Here we go again...

The "classic" Cobra was actually the first Cobra mold. It came out not too long after the Stingray and used the same top. After a while Innova decided that there was not enough difference between the two discs and put a new top on the Cobra, the "Ontario" top. So there were San Marino and Ontario Cobras.

In about '95ish Innova brought back some old molds as "classic" discs. The "Classic" Roc, "Classic" Hammer, "Classic" Aero and "Classic" Cobra all came back into the Innova line-up, so the San Marino Cobra was back as the Classic Cobra.

From what I understand now, they have dropped the Ontario top altogether and now are only making Classic Cobras, only now they are just being sold as Cobras. At any rate, flip that sucker over and look for the location on the bottom before you buy! If it doesn't say "Ontario" then I wouldn't bother.

There are people who know a lot more about this than I do. I agree that I'd like to see a history of golf discs, but there are a lot of people more qualified to do it than I.

When I saw the thread title I imediately thought oxymoron.

I wonder if in fifteen years we'll be having this same discussion about a Boss?

I'll bet the players back then could throw them long range. It's like that 1979 Frisbee Golf youtube video I posted a while back. Those guys were huking lids nearly 200-300 feet.

The first time I played disc golf was in '88 or '89, so about 20 years ago. I bought two discs from a guy in the parking lot. One was supposed to be a good all around disc I could use for short shots and putting. It was a Discraft Phantom +. The next one was supposed to be an all-out, balls-to-the-wall max D distance driver. This will make you laugh...it was an Innova Aviar XD.

The really funny part was it was true. In '88 the XD was a driver. :eek:

Sorry it took so long to post pics. Here it is. The LONG RANGE Cobra.

Attachments

• P1080190 (Large).JPG
    P1080190 (Large).JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 473
  • P1080191 (Large).JPG
    P1080191 (Large).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts