• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Longest forehand in disc golf?

An indoor distance record with no wind is equally as relevant to the overall game as an outdoor record with wind assistance.

I just don't get all the hubbub about whether it was wind assisted or not. I understand why it matters in track and field events, both symbolically and because the speed/distance records are taken during the same competition that medals are handed out.

Why people care in disc golf confuses me though, it has no relevance to the Tour, it's just for fun. I get that people care to know who can throw "objectively" the furthest out of pure curiosity. I just don't understand why people care, to that degree of specificity, about something to irrelevant.

By your logic, why have a distance record at all? Its not a big deal to me with whom has it, but rather how the environment affects the flight.

If I know that player x can throw y number of feet at sea level, 68 degrees, z humidity..... then when said player throws greater than this, I know that environmentals assisted the flight.

I love disc golf, not just for the competition, but also of seeing the physics of flight in action.

things are relevant to those that care about those things.

Totally, I just think that the argument for why wind-assisted is bad is taken out of context when applied to disc golf.

If it doesn't apply to the tour whatsoever, why worry about it?

By your logic, why have a distance record at all? Its not a big deal to me with whom has it, but rather how the environment affects the flight.

If I know that player x can throw y number of feet at sea level, 68 degrees, z humidity..... then when said player throws greater than this, I know that environmentals assisted the flight.

I love disc golf, not just for the competition, but also of seeing the physics of flight in action.

Because a distance record represents what is possible, not what is consistently replicable IMO. That's why we differentiate in our lingo even in casual conversation, we say things like "course distance", etc.

I think it's way cooler to know that a disc CAN be thrown over 1000' by 2 people in the world right now, than to worry about "oh it SHOULD have been 900ft."

When people were circumnavigating the globe on the ocean for the first time, I doubt there were people who said, "Well if <INSERT OTHER SHIP/CREW> can't do it, it's not a REAL feat." Or, "Pshhh, tradewinds were too strong, you may have gotten to your destination a half-day quicker but you didnt' REALLY travel your route faster."

That's just my .02 - I think there's absolutely a point to having this contest. It's to show what's possible for humans, just not possible for you (and me, most likely). It just doesn't need to be overly regulated, keep it fun, it has nothing to do with the Tour itself. It'd be like complaining about the World Putting Champion not having to putt on one of every type of basket...the regulation outweighs the importance of the title.

Last edited:
An indoor distance record with no wind is equally as relevant to the overall game as an outdoor record with wind assistance.

I just don't get all the hubbub about whether it was wind assisted or not. I understand why it matters in track and field events, both symbolically and because the speed/distance records are taken during the same competition that medals are handed out.

Why people care in disc golf confuses me though, it has no relevance to the Tour, it's just for fun. I get that people care to know who can throw "objectively" the furthest out of pure curiosity. I just don't understand why people care, to that degree of specificity, about something to irrelevant.

Well obviously distance throwing is more of a track and field event and has no relevance to anyone's performance on a course. But people care about a lot of things that have no relevance to any disc golf tour. People care about the Super Bowl and the World Cup and the Olympics. We care about all sorts of weird things. Why can't we care about who throws a golf disc the furthest in actual controlled conditions?

The problem with an outdoor distance record is that it depends on the conditions at the moment of the throw just as much as it does the actual throw (well, maybe not "just as much" but it definitely can make the marginal difference between 2 equal throws). As soon as you get more than 30 feet off the ground, the wind gets a lot stronger (citation: https://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/10/science/10qna.html).

"Generally, the higher you go, you lose what is called the friction layer," where friction with the surface of the earth itself slows the wind somewhat, Mr. Searles explained. This happens at 30 to 100 feet, depending on the terrain and vegetation.

If you get a good gust at the moment of a throw, it's going to carry the disc a lot further. The current record is sort of meaningless because of this, and yet players get signature discs because of it. People obviously care. :)

Because a distance record represents what is possible, not what is consistently replicable IMO. That's why we differentiate in our lingo even in casual conversation, we say things like "course distance", etc.

I think it's way cooler to know that a disc CAN be thrown over 1000' by 2 people in the world right now, than to worry about "oh it SHOULD have been 900ft."

By your logic, someone should hold the distance record for throwing a disc off the rim of the grand canyon. It would definitely go more than 1000 feet, who cares about how it was thrown or what assisted the throw? The point is that it's probably actually NOT possible for a human to throw over 1000 feet. But it would be nice to know what is possible if guys like Lizotte and Wiggins were participating in distance contests where wind wasn't a factor. It would still be fun, and I'll bet both of them could get more than 470 feet.

By your logic, someone should hold the distance record for throwing a disc off the rim of the grand canyon. It would definitely go more than 1000 feet, who cares about how it was thrown or what assisted the throw? The point is that it's probably actually NOT possible for a human to throw over 1000 feet. But it would be nice to know what is possible if guys like Lizotte and Wiggins were participating in distance contests where wind wasn't a factor. It would still be fun, and I'll bet both of them could get more than 470 feet.

I appreciate your points, but I don't think that's what my logic says at all.

I didn't push for 0 regulation, just saying that the regulation level of the side competition should be commensurate with how relevant the side competition's outcome is to the main competition's required skillset.

i.e. - a 100m sprint world record should be highly regulated because the correlation between the meaning of the record and the main competition (Track and Field -> Sprinting) is very high.

There's just not nearly as clean of a translation between 360 distance shots and game planning for a Tour event.

Look at Golf - "long drive competitions" right? They use drivers with extra long shafts, the equipment has evolved to meet the needs of the side competition, but I'll bet you can name 10x more PGA pros from their Tour performance than you can name long drive champions. I honestly can't name one of the latter off the top of my head.

Disc Golf is very similar. Simon is using a very specific run of OOP Blizzard Bosses, not PD2's (though I did watch him win a distance contest in Australia with his golf setup, he threw ~600' with a PD2).

I understand why people care about knowing who can throw the farthest, it's cool! My point is specific to discussing why people care about strictly regulating a competition that should just be for fun, given the low correlation to the "main" thing (i.e. my points above in this post).

FWIW I'm not trying to say "don't have an indoor competition" - I'm just saying it's not more relevant suddenly because you took the wind out. I do think it's cool to know who can throw that far indoors, where you don't have the unlimited skyspace to work with.

I didn't push for 0 regulation, just saying that the regulation level of the side competition should be commensurate with how relevant the side competition's outcome is to the main competition's required skillset.

i.e. - a 100m sprint world record should be highly regulated because the correlation between the meaning of the record and the main competition (Track and Field -> Sprinting) is very high.

There's just not nearly as clean of a translation between 360 distance shots and game planning for a Tour event.

Look at Golf - "long drive competitions" right? They use drivers with extra long shafts, the equipment has evolved to meet the needs of the side competition, but I'll bet you can name 10x more PGA pros from their Tour performance than you can name long drive champions. I honestly can't name one of the latter off the top of my head.

Disc Golf is very similar. Simon is using a very specific run of OOP Blizzard Bosses, not PD2's (though I did watch him win a distance contest in Australia with his golf setup, he threw ~600' with a PD2).

I understand why people care about knowing who can throw the farthest, it's cool! My point is specific to discussing why people care about strictly regulating a competition that should just be for fun, given the low correlation to the "main" thing (i.e. my points above in this post).

FWIW I'm not trying to say "don't have an indoor competition" - I'm just saying it's not more relevant suddenly because you took the wind out. I do think it's cool to know who can throw that far indoors, where you don't have the unlimited skyspace to work with.

I come from ball golf. No one takes the ball golf long drive 'competitions' serious. None regulation equipment on non regulation surfaces..... They are just things to bet on.

Difference here is that disc golfers think that the long drive competitions mean something. They don't.

The long distance record should be set at a tier A event, or better, on the playing surface of the tournament with regulation equipment by players registered for and have played at least one full round.

It could still be a side game or during the actual scoring part of the tournament, I don't care there.

If you want an unlimited class event( see the current events), don't make the players use regulation equipment, allow them to use those crazy Gateway Ninjas of old.....just don't call it a disc GOLF distance record.

Words have meaning.

Hmmm I think we're just coming at this from different angles. Given your first principle, which is that the distance records of the WFDF are really just a "side competition" of disc golf, your conclusions make sense. If we were just talking about the little local distance competitions that take place as part of various disc golf tournaments, I would agree with you.

The principle I'm working off is that the World Flying Disc Federation is a regulating body of all disc sports, not just disc golf. It's also supposedly recognized by the International Olympic Committee. Given that, I don't think the world records that the WFDF records and tracks should be considered a "just for funsies" little side event to the disc golf tour. I think if you're going to have the overall governing body of all disc sports recording world records, then those world records should be set fairly with rules that make sense.

From Dave Wiggins immediately after he broke the record per Steve Hill's article in Ultiworld on march 29, 2016.

"Wiggins said he had seen some of the social media criticism of the outdoor distance record and the ability for wind to be a factor, and he suggested establishing a new standard for the competition in the future.

"I think we're going to start a record where we have a lot less variables as far as the conditions go," he said. "Something where you don't have any aid other than your personal power and skill."

From Simon Lizotte in the same article:

"I think this event, the way it is, will not really exist anymore because 1,109 feet will never be reached again, I think," Lizotte said. "So it does not make sense to go out there and hope for 60 mile an hour winds. This distance competition thing is pretty much over now, and we've got to find guidelines for wind or indoor records now which will be the future competition."

Their opinions seem pretty solid, who am I to disagree with them.

there's a guy in Nashville Telly Ryan Bretell whos now millenium sponsored that hits 500ft sidearm shots.

here's an actual 500ft sidearm on a golf line (where it needed to hyzerflip to s curve around brush/trees).

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=1142

if you go through his other shots though you'll see he throws slow putter/utility discs like dx/pro pigs and rhynos far too. and I mean he can throw 375ft holes and park them using baseline plastic pigs/rhynos!

here's telly throwing a 300ft tunnel shot with a dx pig:

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=963

if you notice Logan Bowers is also on this card and he's another sidearm bomber (along with backhand too). throwing the same hole with a sidearm fairway driver.

here's telly throwing what is probably a 400ft power sidearm on an extremely uphill wooded 495ft par 4 and having a jump putt eagle at it.

another pig sidearm through a hole that is slightly uphill tight gap and plays around 300ft.

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=1384

420ft smooth controlled destroyer sidearm on an uphill 725ft windy treacherous (ob) par 4:

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=305

I've played a lot of rounds with Telly and its weird because his sidearm is probably the smoothest one I've ever seen. It makes sense because he can CRUSH putters sidearm (again he can sling a pig/rhyno 375ft) on long golf lines and when he throws they look like distance drivers in flight/speed. its just super smooth and looks effortless when he bombs sidearm. often times just one step and throw

nashville also has a guy who can crush tomahawks and thumbers far too. like over 500ft into 600ft territory distance... here's him thowing 486ft during a pdga distance competition in distance killing bad wind conditions:

https://twitter.com/PDGA/status/752168950948061184

Last edited:
there's a guy in Nashville Telly Ryan Bretell whos now millenium sponsored that hits 500ft sidearm shots.

here's an actual 500ft sidearm on a golf line (where it needed to hyzerflip to s curve around brush/trees).

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=1142

if you go through his other shots though you'll see he throws slow putter/utility discs like dx/pro pigs and rhynos far too. and I mean he can throw 375ft holes and park them using baseline plastic pigs/rhynos!

here's telly throwing a 300ft tunnel shot with a dx pig:

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=963

if you notice Logan Bowers is also on this card and he's another sidearm bomber (along with backhand too). throwing the same hole with a sidearm fairway driver.

here's telly throwing what is probably a 400ft power sidearm on an extremely uphill wooded 495ft par 4 and having a jump putt eagle at it.

another pig sidearm through a hole that is slightly uphill tight gap and plays around 300ft.

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=1384

420ft smooth controlled destroyer sidearm on an uphill 725ft windy treacherous (ob) par 4:

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=305

I've played a lot of rounds with Telly and its weird because his sidearm is probably the smoothest one I've ever seen. It makes sense because he can CRUSH putters sidearm (again he can sling a pig/rhyno 375ft) on long golf lines and when he throws they look like distance drivers in flight/speed. its just super smooth and looks effortless when he bombs sidearm. often times just one step and throw

nashville also has a guy who can crush tomahawks and thumbers far too. like over 500ft into 600ft territory distance... here's him thowing 486ft during a pdga distance competition in distance killing bad wind conditions:

https://twitter.com/PDGA/status/752168950948061184

All those shots are soooo impressive!

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/38089

Long distance competition from worlds this year.

Not sure there will ever be a showcase that makes everyone happy. Same goes with "putting world champion." These events are simply meant to entertain.

Might have to keep the mindset of the parts vs the whole. The game is a lot more than throwing far, so I sort of see the comparison between long drive contest in golf and the actual tournaments to be valid. Fun but not indicative of much.

A fun round to watch of a mostly sidearm dominant player is 2018 masters cup, round 2 I believe. This tall local dude throws some heat of the "effortless" variety.