• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Looking for a new High Speed Understable Driver

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I've been throwing the Pro Katana for a long time for this slot, but lost the last one of a bunch I bought a while back. Then I bought some more, but they don't have the magic that I'm looking for. They're too stable and the only way I could get them to turn on a big air distance shot was releasing on an anhyzer, which is not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a disc that I can air out with a high flat shot and have the disc's natural turn take it from there. I don't want something that's going to keep going right, although I don't want something that's going to have a hard fade left either (RHBH). I want something that has a lot of glide and will pull out of the turn before landing. Some fade is ok, but I don't want a big skip or have to worry that I'm going to have a big fade after the turn and land in the woods.

I could get my Katanas out around 400-420 on this line and I'm now looking for a disc that can do the same. There are two holes at my local courses that I want to use this throw/disc on, and both have woods on the left and right, which is why I need a somewhat straight/flat finish.

Hole 12 at Circle C (short tee): I want to throw high and flat [RHBH] to the left of the tree that's in the middle of the fairway and have it curve around that tree landing directly on the other side of it.
2a9f3076.jpg

Hole 3 at Searight: Same type of shot [RHBH], aiming above that lighter green tree on the left edge of the fairway and having the disc turn to land in the fairway to the right after the dogleg, but not turning so much that it's going to hit that big leafless tree that hangs out over the fairway on the right that's just past the dogleg.
c89405ff.jpg

Last edited:
I use an Axiom Insanity for the shots you're describing. It has a lot of glide and some high speed turn out of the box, but it does want to come back a bit at the end.

Compared to the Katana its slower so easier to get up to speed, but not quite as high speed understable as a typical Katana flies.

Here's a few throws with some brand new ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVbtQ1PGb_M&t=0m31s

My main experience with Katanas is with a couple champs, which I used for similar lines/distances to what you're talking about. Right now I like a Z Crank for similar shots, but it might be a little more overstable than you're looking for. I guess you could try ESP or Big Z? I've said it many times, but I think the Crank is underrated. I use it for wide open distance as well as some of these "controlled distance" shots.

Crank might be a better suggestion than mine, its closer in speed to the Katana you're used to.

They have a ton of glide. I'm surprised they're not more popular...IMO they're kind of like a longer Tern.

As I read your (OP's) post, what came to mind was the Bolt, the Freedom, and the Destiny. I suspect a Gold Line Bolt would do you well, and if that too understable, go for the Freedom or Destiny.

I'd say either Star Tern or D4. Back when I had more Prodigy around, I used to think of the D4 as a sort of better, more controllable Katana. Very underrated disc I'd say.

I meant to mention in the OP that I've tried the Vulcan, but it was too understable to have any kind of predictability and someone farting in my general direction will instantly turn it into a roller.

Get a VIP or Elasto King. I used to throw Kantanas and Kings throw similar lines with it but more glide and better hand feel.

Well, Prodiscus Fasti is unstable, fast and glide is very long. Ultrium plastic = the best plastic in disc golf world right now. If you want to know how Fasti flies, look at the Dga Sail videos. Almost the same.

Vibram Lace.

For me, with a minimal break-in period, fly similar to a nicely seasoned champ katana that I also have. Worth a shot IMO. More turn than the flight numbers would suggest in my experience.

Last edited:
As I read your (OP's) post, what came to mind was the Bolt, the Freedom, and the Destiny. I suspect a Gold Line Bolt would do you well, and if that too understable, go for the Freedom or Destiny.

These are good suggestions. I'd add the Tern and Shryke to that list. All the discs here are straight fliers with little fade.

I've never liked Katanas personally. They don't glide great and often have sharp low speed fade. All the discs mentioned here will outfly Katanas.

I'd say Champion or Star Tern. It depends on your form & how flippy you want the disc to be (Star is more understable).

By the numbers, the Vulcan flies like a Katana that has some of the low-speed fade beat out of it. Very straight fading, for a high speed driver. Should get the turn you're looking for at 400' of power.

Tern for speed 12 driver. That is what the Tern does best, reliably turn at high speed, and then reliably fade back at low speed. You should play with the plastic and weight to get the disc that turns over enough for you, but still comes back. I like Gstar around 170g, or Star around 165-170, especially once it gets some wear on it.

I used to throw Katanas and Vulcans for that sort of shot, but Terns are more reliable and go just as far with my arm speed. I've also thrown the Insanity. I like it quite a bit too, more understable than a Tern for me, but my control with it is not as good as the Tern.

If you can step down in speed, I like the DGA Pipeline even better for that shot. I'm more reliable hitting the line with the lower speed disc, and it is sneaky long, often goes nearly as far, unless I really get a good snap on the Tern. Occasionally, with either disc, the shot will fail to fade as much as I like and turn hard, or I'll saw off the shot and not get enough turn. Those issues are more a matter of form and consistency. The slower disc tends to end up in a better place than a faster disc when you make mistakes, so I'll always use the slower disc, if it doesn't rule out a birdie to get a bit less distance.

Another vote for the Crank. Also, lightweight Cannons fly like Katanas for me. 166-168g in Pinnacle plastic. Hyzerflip uphill and/or downwind, or shots I can air out.

Mamba is changing my game. Maybe more understable than you are looking for, but with my bad form it flies just like your description.

OP here...Have any of y'all thrown a TD2 and do you think it'd work for what I'm looking for? I really like the TD as an all-around good distance driver, but it's too stable for this type of shot. From some videos I've seen, I'm thinking the Crank is going going to be too stable for me, whereas the Mamba might be a bit too understable, although maybe a 170g+ Champ Mamba might work. It's really hard to say because it all depends on my form and arm speed vs. speed and stability of the disc and trying to balance those to choose the right disc.

It doesn't have to be a max speed driver, it just needs to be long and glidey. I throw with almost all fairway drivers and the Katana has been my only high speed driver for the longest time. It's also the only disc I can get out to 400', and that's by throwing it on a distance line, which is what I consider these holes to be.

Drivers currently in my bag:
Z Glide (Speed 7, not long enough, but pretty much the stability I'm looking for)
Firm Vamp (Speed 8, too understable, once it starts turning it doesn't like to come back, but it's surprisingly long)
Champ 12x Teebird (Speed 7..that's wierd, would definitely consider this disc faster than a Glide, but anyway, too stable)
S-PD (Speed 10, too stable)
Z Flick (haha...yeah, no)
Pro Vulcan (Speed 13, too understable and unpredictable. This is the disc I want to replace.)