• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to get a new disc (mid)

I'll start off with what mids/putter i have and what I typically use them for. I'm not very good with telling distances, so these are mainly a close estimate.

KC pro Roc - 100-175ft
I use this when i need to fade it left, but avoid it as much as i can. I think it's the plastic, but i don't like throwing it much at all.

DX cobra (sort of beat in) - 100-175ft
I prefer this over the roc, but somewhat inconsistent with it. Sometimes it holds the line, sometimes is turns a lot and doesn't come back, and sometimes it goes straight and fades. I'm sure it's me, but I never know how it's going to fly that time. I do like the feel of it over the roc.

DX Aviar P&A (very grippy) - under 100ft
Took over my putter spot from my Birdie. Love the grippy, bendy plastic. Fairly straight disc and I use for putts, approaches, and push it for mids.

I've gotten into a habit of pushing the aviar 100ft (or just over) and sometimes lose control. I feel like I can throw my roc/cobra for the 75-100ft shots, but I would only be half throwing it.

I'm looking at a number of discs, either a midrange or that approach between putt and mid.

Looking at Buzzz (regular or ss) in either z or flx plastic for mid and looking at XD or dart for approach. I'm leaning toward the flx buzzz for mid right now.

Any suggestions for me based on what I have, what needs to be filled in, and what might work well for me?

If you like the feel of the cobra but want something a little more stable, I'd say Champion Cobra (even though they are OOP :( )

If you like what the Roc does for you but can't stand the KC Pro plastic, try a DX Roc. My DX Rocs are noticeably softer than my 12x.

If you do decide to get the Buzzz, try the original first, not the SS version. The Elite-Z Buzzz should be available at an Academy Sports near you for $10.99 plus tax. Awesome disc that will (assuming its not lost) hold a spot in your bag for years.

*EDIT - I've never tried the XD or the dart, but it doesn't sound like you need something faster for your approach, just something more stable... Try one of the many big-bead Aviars in production, one of those might be just what you want. (KC Pro, JK Pro, Yeti Pro)

Last edited:
For those who said Z buzzz, why that over flx? is the flight characterists different or just the feel? The z feels like champion plastic and i'm guessing flx is like star plastic but very bendy. I've held Z a few times in the store ($16.99, yikes), but never felt the flx plastic.

Try a Star Roc? I carry both a Buzzz and a Roc and feel you need both. Another that is right between these two in stability, but is also about 10 to15 feet longer. Is the Latitude 64 Core, great disc! but since I already carry and love my Rcc and Buzzz. It's missed out. Others that I've tried are the Fuse, Pain, Wasp (in my bag), and Shockwave. For a shorter mid I love my Classic Roc....it's money for me.

II'd also suggest trying to learn how to work the Aviar to around 230-250'. Should be very doable unless it's totally beat. Great practice and what you learn on the way will do wonders for you. =)

you're a newer player, low end plastic will work best for you now.

best 2 beginner discs:
D Buzzz
DX Shark

why? because they are straight, stable, and go farther with less effort.

I had a Buzzz for a while, but never really used it. I picked up an Impact (Discraft) and really like it -- excellent glide and great control. It will hold any line you put on it.

Garret

I carry 5 putter/mids, and here's why...

Main Putter/Short Approach: Dart Pro-R 3/4/0/0 Very soft, grippy plastic, tends not to bounce out of the basket. Can shape good lines for longer approaches, but reacts badly to lots of power, so I keep it for shorter distances.

Mid Approach: Mako 4/5/0/0 Basically it's a stiffer Dart. Has a tendancy to go a bit wild on flex shots, so concentrate on throwing with a good smooth motion. Is great for longer putts, as it's predictable and the Star plastic is pretty soft, so it grips the chains well.

Mid Approach: Stingray (Star) 4/5/-3/1 Since this disc has an understable tendency, I find it useful for throwing into the wind, or with shots where I need to watch the fade out (on a slope for instance). When you get used to it, this disc can be deadly accurate on long range putts and approaches.

Long Approach: Crystal Buzz I love the Crsytal plastic, as it's stiff, so I can tee off on short holes. Has a nice, predictable fade at the end, and is very reliable for "needle" shots that have to have a very precise flight path. Holds throw angles well, and is very, very durable. I have had Roc's in several plastics, yet no longer carry any, as I find the Crystal Buzz to be a superior disc to the Roc.

Obviously I am pretty new to the game but I love my Z-Comet. OK, now the one that will get some haters: I received a Gateway Scout at our Ice Bowl and have found that it is awesome when you need a little more stable mid.

At the distances you are throwing, throw your putter for everything right now. Once you get the Aviar over 150' consistently where you want it, then mix in a Buzzz, Roc, Core, Shark or other Mid. That mid should give you some good left fade.

Be patient, and work the putter for now. It will go farther and do more than you ever thought it would. Boring, but it will give you good skills and results.

I've really got three go-to mids:

Z Buzzz (167g) -- long approaches and shortish control drives. The more I use this disc, the less I use my DX Sharks, even the 150g that has been in my bag since the beginning. It took me a little bit to get used to it, but it really holds any line I want it to, as long as I throw it right.

E-HPP Element (179g) -- This acts a little more stable for me, probably because of the weight. This is my wind mid, which got a good bit of use today.

R-Pro Cro (170-ish) -- Got this in a trade, and really like it. I use this one for hyzer shots, but I really like it for shortish approaches -- things I don't want to throw my Glo Wizard for. It also resists rollaways pretty well -- I like the R-Pro plastic. Usually hits and stays. I'm getting better at controlling it, too. This is what I usually use between my putter and my other mids, just because I like the feel.

Sounds like you need to work on getting a little better distance with what you have maybe. I would think the mids you have now would fly pretty overstable for you when thrown without a lot of OAT.

A Buzzz would be a good disc I think it's a beginner friendly mold.

dont get the buzzz ss, don't get me wrong its a good disc but the original buzzz is way more useful IMO. If you want a straight flyer for distance then go with the meteor over the buzzz ss.

Right now im pretty stoked on my hornet/buzzz/meteor combo. Here is what i use them for since you didn't specify exactly what you wanted out of the disc

Buzzz (esp/z) - great for straight shots with minimal fade when thrown smooth, hard, and flat. great for lower mid shots. good hyzer disc with a good amount of fade to get around obstacles when thrown with lower power and a little higher

Meteor - good for nice straight shots no matter what range you are going for. can usually get it between 100-250ish with little to no fade either direction. typically height dependent

Hornet - little faster and more overstable than the buzzz. on drives it goes nice and flat with a healthy fade at the end. when you power down it will hook hard right. I use it more and more to get around obstacles and its great into a headwind.

The two most popular mids are the Roc and Buzzz. Both are excellent discs. If you don't like the feel of the Roc, get a Buzzz. As mentioned before, you can get a Z Buzzz at Academy Sports for $10.99 -- they are easy to trade if you end up not liking it. Ask some guys to let you try their ESP, FLX and X plastic discs, too. I've never thrown a bad Buzzz... any plastic.

There are so many good midrange discs on the market now, it's like choosing a putter. Throw as many as you can, find the ones that work for you and go with it.