• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost Disc Return Protocol

Necrobump, specifically because I have a returned disc story to post and I want the choose the best thread to post it in. I searched and didn't find anything particularly to my liking so I thought I'd bump this one to hopefully get some opinions.

Oh, wait... asking for opinions on the internetz, probably a bad idea. :D

Necrobump with the promise of a story and then no story.....

e65.gif

Well I have a short story:

playing City Park in New Orleans, and I would always walk by the water on hole 15 to see if I could see a disc from shore, if the water was clear (this was before the gator sightings). I fished one out one day that just had a number and the name "Meatball". I text the number, contact the guy, we end up agreeing to meet in the city later that evening. I'm waiting at this chicken place with a friend I was already planning on hanging out with, when in walks this 6'2, large man, with a face that's scruffy but still round enough to be kind of a baby face, looks at me (I have his disc on the table), and says: "are you blake?" "yeah, are you Meatball?" "I sure am!"

and to this day he has never told me his real name.

Well I have a short story:

playing City Park in New Orleans, and I would always walk by the water on hole 15 to see if I could see a disc from shore, if the water was clear (this was before the gator sightings). I fished one out one day that just had a number and the name "Meatball". I text the number, contact the guy, we end up agreeing to meet in the city later that evening. I'm waiting at this chicken place with a friend I was already planning on hanging out with, when in walks this 6'2, large man, with a face that's scruffy but still round enough to be kind of a baby face, looks at me (I have his disc on the table), and says: "are you blake?" "yeah, are you Meatball?" "I sure am!"

and to this day he has never told me his real name.

You don't need a real name when you're called Meatball

Since Im not an adult, I have the person drop off the disc at the course and hide it somewhere like under a trash can or a bush.

I have done this. I found someone's disc and they lived out of town, but had friends in the area. I texted them a picture of a specific tree near the parking lot with their disc hidden behind it, where no one would think to look.

The burden should be 100% on the discs owner if someone was kind enough to contact them.

If the Disc does not have enough info on who's it is I keep it but otherwise I will try to give it to the owner. I have found more discs without anything on the bottom except one had only a full name on it that I gave to my mom a 5-6/10 eleven time KC Pro Aviar white with rainbow foil stamp at the time the 12x spelling ones were coming out. I do not use the Aviar molds and thought she could use it for a windy putter since she uses the Classic Grid Aviar mold. I could not give it to a person as It was only a name and did not want to check every phone book with the that had the same name and spelling in the USA and Canada. Most of the discs I have found like the Pro D Drone and others Were discs that had no name on them and were not used by anybody in my family including Aunt's, Uncles, and Cousins. My brother did take a disc he and I found that had the name of the Ski place we were playing, WISP because he wanted a disc with the name of the place and it was so chewed up
WISP would not take it back.

I have recived a phone call last year for an Elite Z XL that was lost for 10 years during the tournament. The Disc was clear and the tournament logo was mustered yellow and a tan/camel color. I told the person to keep the disc as I got right after the tournament a highlighter green one I was using at the time.:) Now I have a pink Stalker, needed a new XL and found the closet disc that flies more how my ESP XL flies that I still have in the bag. I also got a phone call a week later for a lost stiff Pro D Magnet during a tournament a week after the event but the kid who found it and called me ended up keeping the disc even though he promised to mail the disc to my address that I gave him. Kid age 9-10 at the time even called again to confirm the address when he got home but the disc never got mailed.:|

So... since we are waiting on a story I have a small one I thought a bit funny/interesting.

Playing a course ~:45 away there is a long blind down hill with lots of disc losing potential (most of the holes on the course actually have high disc losing potential) a lot of people if playing solo simply skip this hole. So... I throw anyway. Very long hole but also into a pretty decent head wind well headwind or not I throw too overstable and no idea where it may have landed. Leads to wandering in larger and larger circles searching brush and trees and a grown over creek bed. I find a tiedyed Feldberg Boss. No name no number and by the looks of the plastic it may have been there exposed to the elements for a while... though it would have been damaged by recent fires had it been there too long before...

So this course has a kiosk out front, large multi-use park, and a lost and found box I drop it in. Usually if a number on the disc I would text/call to say its being dropped in the box. That was a thursday afternoon.
So... next day friday late morning I am playing my home course. Not far away but far enough it isn't that normal people jump back and forth during the week. I am trying a new disc on a bit of a blind hole and fade way off into high grass. walking over to find my disc I step on... a tiedye Feldberg Boss... no name no number. I can't be 100% sure but it sure looked like the exact same disc, same colors and fading and yellowing of the plastic.

I posted on the facebook lost and found about the disc I found and possible that it was found, picked up and lost and again found at a different course :45 minutes away less than 24 hours later... no responses. I was back in the original town the middle of the following week and checked the lost and found just to see and it was not there.
just a funny what are the chances.

TLDR; I found a bit of a rare disc, returned to Lost and found and the I think found the same disc less than 24 hours later on a course :45 minutes away from the first.

Last edited:
I lost a disc on vacation, I had my name, phone# and PDGA# on the inside rim. I got a text the other day from a guy telling me he found my disc. I asked where and he told me. I asked if he would mail it to me I could send the funds to him. No answer. I thought since I hadn't heard and he new I was from out of state he was keeping it. I asked again and he said it had went through some hands in his area and wasn't his to give back. What are your thoughts on return protocol?

"I threw it and liked\lost it. I just can't admit it."

Get a female friend to write "Sarah" or "Jessica" or something in big white girl handwriting if you want to get a call back. Otherwise I never expect to see my lost discs again.

Once got a call from Alabama (never been). Told the dude it must have been found, not returned, and lost again. He offered to mail it but I insisted he keep the thing.

What are you guys doing wrong? I get almost all my discs back. Like 12 this season. And a few I got calls on but was too lazy to drive for. I honestly think always making an effort to return others' discs keeps the karmic wheel spinning well enough to get most of your own back.

But most of my friends are wishy washy on returns. Usually leave then for the next person to find. IMO this is why they never get theirs returned.

Not scientific. Totally superstitious. But it does seem to be the way things work!