• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost Discs Poll - Gotten a call or not?

Do you get a call?

• I don't ink my discs!

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I've never lost a disc.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I've lost discs and have never gotten a call.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I've lost discs, but rarely get a call.

Votes: 99 53.5%
  • I've lost discs, but usually get a call.

Votes: 36 19.5%
  • I've lost discs and have always gotten a call.

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
That reminds me, where should you agree to meet people when returning a disc? I found one in a dried-up water hazard two weeks ago, and need to return it.

I lost about 6-7 discs through 2016, I got one call and it was just so the guy could tell me I wasn't getting it back. Disc golfers in general are nice people, but when the find a disc they get to excited and don't want to give it back, atleast thats my experience.

That reminds me, where should you agree to meet people when returning a disc? I found one in a dried-up water hazard two weeks ago, and need to return it.
One of the things I've found to work well is to ask the person if it's ok if I hide it for them. I know of one course in particular with a good hiding spot. I describe it to them and then take a picture of the spot once I've hidden it and text it to them.

Hopefully this thread doesn't end up lost in the landfill.

I return discs if they have contact info, otherwise I post on our local club's page that I've found a disc and ask for descriptions.

I've even bought people's discs from the local pawn shop to return to them with no expectation of reimbursement (pond divers sell them to the pawn shop, owner assumes they're legit).

I can't even remember how many discs I've lost over the years.

Never had a disc returned or even called about one. A few years ago I stopped putting my number on them for the sake of resale, and so my number isn't floating around.

On the flip side, I always call on any found discs. Seems to be about 50/50 if they want it back or not. Mailed one back to its owner about two months ago as he was too far away to be able to hand it over.

I've lost around 30 discs over the years. I've got one phone call and it was from a guy playing for the first time and saw my number. I would love to have a few of those losses back.

I've only been playing 8-9 months now and have only lost about 5 discs in that time so maybe my sample size is too small to mean anything:

Technically I have never gotten a call about my discs, however they've all been returned to me

I am fortunate enough to live an area where our local disc golf shop runs a lost and found program. If you find a disc, you can bring it in for $3 store credit. Then they put the disc owner's name and description of the disc on their website/store front. If you discover they have one of their discs, you can pick it up for $3. They claim they'll hold the disc for at least 6 weeks and after that, they sell it in the used disc section

I think most people in the area prefer to go this route rather than contact the person when they find a disc, trying to find a time/place to meet, etc and you get $3 store credit out of it it.

Another benefit is, it really encourages people to go searching for discs. Most of the discs I've lost have been on water holes yet they've all been returned. Apparently there is no limit to how many found discs you can turn in at a time, so you'll often see people fishing for discs on the water holes. Even my lost water discs usually turn up on their website within a week

It seems great for the store too, you are able to save up your store credit if you like, but I'm sure many people use their $3 store credit immediately to buy another disc. It's a win/win all around

Last edited:
One of the things I've found to work well is to ask the person if it's ok if I hide it for them. I know of one course in particular with a good hiding spot. I describe it to them and then take a picture of the spot once I've hidden it and text it to them.

I think that's a terrific idea. Definitely using it the next time I find a disc that I can't return right away. So far, of the handful I've found with a number on them, all but one were either still on the course or had just left so it worked out easily

The first couple of years I played, I put my # on my discs. I quit that a long time ago though, because no one would ever call and I'd find my lost discs at play-it-again.

These days, if I abandon a disc on the course, I consider it gone and I'm never getting it back, so I put just enough on my discs to use as identifying info.

I don't find a lot of discs either, but that's because I don't end up very far off the fairway all that often (humblebrag sure, but it's still true)

I've returned about 40 discs, but have never gotten a call back from the 5 that I've lost.

Karma in DG doesn't apply to me.

I don't play often enough to have a representative sample, but in my six months I have found 4 discs and returned them all (3 in person, 1 dropped off at the course L&F).

The only disc I have lost so far was returned to me the next day.

It's all skewed. I've found about 30 times as many discs as I've lost, and a high percentage of the ones I've lost were in places that I wouldn't expect anyone to ever find them.

If I take the broad definition of receiving a call to include receiving a facebook message, or just being handed the disc next time someone sees me, I'd say a high percentage of the discs I've lost, in places where they might be recovered, have been returned or at least offered back to me.

I got a disc back last summer that I left in the fairway. No name, the guy posted in our local facebook page that he found it, describe it and I'll get it back to you.

I don't lose a lot of discs, (last year only two), and I don't ink them. The logistics of getting them back is usually too much of a pain in the butt.

Returned probably 8-10 that I found, lost 3. 1 returned, 1 nope, 1 I know where it is and it prob won't ever be found. I'll give you a hint, it's wet.

Well that was unexpected. Just texted the number on the disc and they told me to keep it!

I've had that happen before! Problem was, I didn't want it either! Star Katana, just gave it to a friend of mine

Yeah this falls into the same category. It's one of those jolly launcher Sidewinders. I have four Valkyries and don't really need it. Maybe I'll keep it for over-water shots. If it falls in, I guess that's where it was meant to be.

Well that was unexpected. Just texted the number on the disc and they told me to keep it!

I would say this happens the majority of times I text someone I don't know. I found it really surprising at first, but now I just accept that there's another disc to add to my collection.

When I first started playing I didn't bother to write my name on them. Also, I never bothered to call anyone back about the ones I did find. As I got more serious about the game I started to write my name/number on them, and would just turn any disc I found into the local shop. I never got a call back about one of my discs until I personally returned a guys prized CE Tbird.

I once sold a wraith to a friend of mine, and he proceeded to lose it on no15 at Mt Airy cincy, OH, the same day. Three years later I got a text from a guy that pulled it out of the lake at Bryant Park in Richmond, VA...