• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] M4 400g

deyo7

Eagle Member
I'm thinking about trying an M4. I'd like it to do everything :) ... straight, hyzerflip, or hold the anny line.

Context: I'm very much a newer player in terms of skill level but I am improving every time out (played very sparingly 1-5 times per year for about 15 years but then became addicted this past summer - now playing 1-2 times per week). If I can't achieve any of the above flights due to my skill level I'm not overly concerned - I'll grow into it.

Wondering what weight to get: I typically throw drivers in 166-170 range; mids and putters in the 170-173. It seems that the m4 400gs are mostly available in higher weights (177-179). Is that normal or are online retailers just low on stock? I was thinking of ordering something around 170 if I could find it? I'm willing to bump up weight if needed, or if upper 160s are really workable that's fine too... curious if you all have any suggestions.

Also from reading forums it seems prodigy was plagued with inconsistency; though most of the threads were from 3 years back or so. Have they managed to get their QC down with the molding process? I.e., Am I rolling the dice on which type of m4 I get if I order one.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

400g M4 has been my favorite disc since joining Prodigy and should suit your needs for the types of shots you list. I generally throw drivers in the upper 160's and mids and putters in the low to mid 170's so fairly similar to you in that respect. I am throwing 174 M4's and have had all the ones I have tried fly pretty much the same.

Remember that most mids have wider diameter which means that the max weight is higher as well. Max weight for midranges is typically 180g, so midrange in the upper 160s would be like a driver in the lower 160s. It would be quite light

I'm thinking about trying an M4. I'd like it to do everything :) ... straight, hyzerflip, or hold the anny line.

Context: I'm very much a newer player in terms of skill level but I am improving every time out (played very sparingly 1-5 times per year for about 15 years but then became addicted this past summer - now playing 1-2 times per week). If I can't achieve any of the above flights due to my skill level I'm not overly concerned - I'll grow into it.

Wondering what weight to get: I typically throw drivers in 166-170 range; mids and putters in the 170-173. It seems that the m4 400gs are mostly available in higher weights (177-179). Is that normal or are online retailers just low on stock? I was thinking of ordering something around 170 if I could find it? I'm willing to bump up weight if needed, or if upper 160s are really workable that's fine too... curious if you all have any suggestions.

Also from reading forums it seems prodigy was plagued with inconsistency; though most of the threads were from 3 years back or so. Have they managed to get their QC down with the molding process? I.e., Am I rolling the dice on which type of m4 I get if I order one.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

I used to bag a 400g M4, and I just might again in the near future. It's a great disc in a great plastic. I used mine mostly for anhyzer/turnover shots (for new readers that might not know, that's a shot that curves to the right on a RHBH throw), but could throw it fairly straight if I powered down on it.

You'll come to learn what your favorite weights are over time. From what I'm reading, you'll likely find a 170-175g weight to be optimal for you and most comfortable for you. And yes, they are out there: one of my M4s is 175g (the other is 168g).

400g M4 has been my favorite disc since joining Prodigy and should suit your needs for the types of shots you list. I generally throw drivers in the upper 160's and mids and putters in the low to mid 170's so fairly similar to you in that respect. I am throwing 174 M4's and have had all the ones I have tried fly pretty much the same.

Thank you.

Remember that most mids have wider diameter which means that the max weight is higher as well. Max weight for midranges is typically 180g, so midrange in the upper 160s would be like a driver in the lower 160s. It would be quite light

Good point, didn't really think of that

I used to bag a 400g M4, and I just might again in the near future. It's a great disc in a great plastic. I used mine mostly for anhyzer/turnover shots (for new readers that might not know, that's a shot that curves to the right on a RHBH throw), but could throw it fairly straight if I powered down on it.

You'll come to learn what your favorite weights are over time. From what I'm reading, you'll likely find a 170-175g weight to be optimal for you and most comfortable for you. And yes, they are out there: one of my M4s is 175g (the other is 168g).

Thank you. I just found and ordered a 169 off disc golf center- close enough, I guess. Light green, which I don't usually order green because Iowa gets very green come spring and summer but hopefully it's a neon lime or something that contrasts a little :)

Thanks all!!

The 400G M4 is quite the versatile mid. 400G is actually availible in much lower weights than 169, like 140s low. I can't imagine throwing a dg course without an M4 in the bag. Enjoy

It's a versatile mid. I don't bag it, but I can't deny it's a good all-rounder. I preferred the 750, had some more stability.

I hate to introduce uncertainty, but if you really want a one-disc-round kind of mid, a proton tangent is amazing. Much better putter, but still as versatile as the m4 imo. For me, the tangent holds hyzer, anhyzer and throws flat, the m4 was more of a hyzerflip disc. However, I throw what people just starting would consider "far" so for you the m4 for you will probably do everything.

The m4 is a faster mid similar to a buzzz; the tangent is slower.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I haven't thrown an m4 in a while.

Last edited:
The 400G M4 is quite the versatile mid. 400G is actually availible in much lower weights than 169, like 140s low. I can't imagine throwing a dg course without an M4 in the bag. Enjoy

Boom, so excited. Cheers

It's a versatile mid. I don't bag it, but I can't deny it's a good all-rounder. I preferred the 750, had some more stability.

I hate to introduce uncertainty, but if you really want a one-disc-round kind of mid, a proton tangent is amazing. Much better putter, but still as versatile as the m4 imo. For me, the tangent holds hyzer, anhyzer and throws flat, the m4 was more of a hyzerflip disc. However, I throw what people just starting would consider "far" so for you the m4 for you will probably do everything.

The m4 is a faster mid similar to a buzzz; the tangent is slower.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I haven't thrown an m4 in a while.

No, that's perfectly fine - introduce away. My dad has a N Tangent and, although I only threw it a few times, I would agree - it's definitely very controllable. I said the same to my buddy who also now has one. And yes, would be a good all rounder. I wanted to be different, and I also want the m4 for the understable slot but was also hoping it might be able to do some tangent like work as well. Hopefully won't be too understable but bet it will be fine for me.

Best

I bag the 750 M4, but could easily bag the 400g as well. Great all around disc and will be good for any type of shot you need! Get a stack and you won't be disappointed!

Have been throwing one this weekend. Good disc. Probably the best thing Prodigy has done. Is their a more OS plastic for the M4?

Have been throwing one this weekend. Good disc. Probably the best thing Prodigy has done. Is their a more OS plastic for the M4?

I don't know of the stabilities of the various Prodigy plastic, but if you want something more OS, get an M3 and season it in.

As to the best thing Prodigy has done, the F3 and F5 should be contenders for that title (along with the aforementioned M3 and M4).

No, but my limited experience leads me to believe that the flatter M4s are more understable than the ones with more dome. My favorite M4 is my domey M4 that is a replacement for my straight Roc in the winter.