• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MADISON DISC GOLF - HIESTAND

it takes too much effort to post on the MAD CITY DISC GOLF club forum,

so does anyone in the Madison area know if the Heistand course is open? i read that elver and token creek are closed, and i remember heistand being closed last year.

im headed to minneSNOWta from illinois and wanna stop in mad-town to play heistand, or any of those courses really but i dont wanna waste my time if they are in fact closed. thanks

I played Hiestand last week. Its kinda icy and its a pretty simple thing to fall. Ask Texconsinite. But its open. MADC members keep the tees clear, so you got that going for you.

You can call the city's Park and Recreation department to ask them on the conditions and availability before you leave for your trip.

You're right Ben about the tees. Traction varies day to day. A local posted on The MADC board this morning that he plans to shovel, scrape and salt the teeboxes. Today.

FYI. There's an adhoc group that puts a temporary 9 hole course up in the Starkweather Creak area near Milwaukee and Fair Oaks Streets. I've seen a map of the layout. Its kinda ( wink wink ) cool because several of the holes use frozen Starkweather Creek as the fairways. One hole features a mando that requires your throw to go under a bridge.

Yeah, Heistand IS open all winter, and is def playable. However, there are a few fairways that are just glare ice, and it is easy to slip and fall.

The area between holes 2 & 3, and the area by the baskets on holes 14 and 17 are especially icy, so

Wear some spikes on your shoes, and you shouldnt have any problems.

I wore tennis shoes, and as a result, after playing Heistand several times, I slipped on the ice while putting hole 17 and gave myself a high ankle sprain. Still finished to round with a pair of pars, though.

Happy discing! If I could walk, I'd be happy to join you for a round.

Since you are going up to MN, there are some course in Sparta, WI that that you should def make a stop at. Its right on your way, and its two 18 hole courses in one location. Never played them myself, but the golfers in La Crosse swear they are both amazing, which is likely considering Timmy Gill designed them.

thanks guys.

texconsinite, sparta is absolutely incredible. I used to live in Winona, mn, and sparta was, and still is, in my top 5 courses (of well over 100). courses have defined fairways, tight woods, length, elevation, amenities; challenges all aspects of your game.

trifocal, thanks for the link. i will be looking into that.

if anyone is in the area next week, ill be there, just let me know

thanks again

Texconsinite and Trifocal - Got another sisters wedding coming up in Sept (Just one more left) so I am going to be hitting up the local courses for a quick 1 or 2 day blitz. Will try and get in touch with you guys to see if we can get together and play a few rounds. Thanks for the info last time Trifocal.

Love to. In early Sept, I will be on a 2 week DG trip through Twin Cities and Highbridge Hills with Jungle Tim and his twin, Ninja Tom. You know, showing some Brits how we do DG here in the Midwest. But if I'm in Mad town, count me in.

it takes too much effort to post on the MAD CITY DISC GOLF club forum,

so does anyone in the Madison area know if the Heistand course is open? i read that elver and token creek are closed, and i remember heistand being closed last year.

im headed to minneSNOWta from illinois and wanna stop in mad-town to play heistand, or any of those courses really but i dont wanna waste my time if they are in fact closed. thanks

Where in Minny are you going??? I am in Hastings, and play just about every day...

Trip Details

Here's the plan as it stands now. We'll hit almost all the Twin Cities courses, then swing by Menomonie and Eau Claire before heading through Hayward to Highbridge.

Heres the Complete List of Courses(as of now)
Bryant Lake Park
Hyland Ski and Snowboard Area
Elm Creek (scheduled to open Apr 2009)
Rosland Park
Staring Lake Park
Bassett Creek Park
Plymouth Creek Park
Acorn Park
Bethel University DGC
Lakewood Hills
Kaposia Park
North Valley Park
Oakwood Park
C.P. Adams Park
Alimagnet Lake Park DGC
Blue Ribbon Pines DGC
The Ponds of Linwood
Castigador del Norte (private course at my cabin in NW-WI, work in progress)
Cumberland HS DGC (not listed on any course directory)
Tower Ridge Park 1
Tower Ridge Park 2
Chippewa Falls Middle School
Wakanda Park
Lambs Creek @ Pioneer Grill
Fiddler's Creek Golf Center
Telemark Resort DGC
Sandy Pines Resort DG Ranch
(Highbridge Courses)
Chesnut Grove
The Bear
Blueberry Hill
Highbridge Gold
Granite Ridge
Woodland Greens

WOW thats quite a dg trip! I would be able to do that some winter but many of those are most likely not open. I was in MN for 7 years and it looks like they have quite a few courses but that was before I played, but I still go once a year for at least 5 days but it always seems to fall in winter (my downseason from landscaping)

I am jealous!

Just an FYI for folks in the Madison, WI area. I just got an email that Hiestand Park will be pulled today. We've had a significant melt this week and yesterday the course was essentially 4-6 inches of slush, standing water or very wet earth waiting to be tracked into mud.. It was near 50 degrees and the course was heavily played. Rain is expected this coming week and it appears likely the course will be closed until Spring arrives.

I just heard that over the weekend someone(s) dumped all the trash cans on Hiestand. Pretty much a winters worth of cans, bottles and assorted rubbish. That wasn't the bad news. After dumping all the trash he/they finished with smashing the beer bottles on the tee pads.

Ya, I noticed a few cans tipped over when i stopped by there yesterday, but the pads all looked clear of glass shards, probably cuz someone swept em. That's pretty messed up, who would want to dig through old garbage, just to find glass to smash on the teepads? Perhaps some kids from nearby East HS with too much time on their hands? Very disappointing, wish someone had caught who did it.

I heard that accroding to the Glide guys, the baskets will be back up in 3 weeks