• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marketplace Entry Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently we're reading different threads if you've come to that conclusion.

Honestly Tim that is kinda what I see as well. Charging a fee to hopefully deter scammers (when it has been shown that scammers will pay the fee because it's simply a cost of doing business) and then not giving any info to help someone who has been scammed is kinda bogus.

If you want it to be a fundraiser, then just say so. None of us will judge you for that, you invest time and money into the site and want to make some, no shame in that. But charging the entry fee under the guise of "It'll help deter scammers" and then not taking the next logical step which is to then have someone involved to help catch scammers and give out whatever info you have is kinda weak.

Honestly Tim that is kinda what I see as well. Charging a fee to hopefully deter scammers (when it has been shown that scammers will pay the fee because it's simply a cost of doing business) and then not giving any info to help someone who has been scammed is kinda bogus.

If you want it to be a fundraiser, then just say so. None of us will judge you for that, you invest time and money into the site and want to make some, no shame in that. But charging the entry fee under the guise of "It'll help deter scammers" and then not taking the next logical step which is to then have someone involved to help catch scammers and give out whatever info you have is kinda weak.

^This exactly.

Also this.

so new members will not be able to post wanted threads unless they pay $5?

The amount of discs available in the market place will go down drastically.

Sigh... I give up. Think what you will, I've given my opinion on the matter. I think a fee is enough of a deterrent to keep away the less determined people, kind of like the 24 hour wait for reviewing courses. A lot of marketplace people already have a crown of some sort anyway so it's a non-issue except for a handful of people in this thread making a big deal about it.

Sigh... I give up. Think what you will, I've given my opinion on the matter. I think a fee is enough of a deterrent to keep away the less determined people, kind of like the 24 hour wait for reviewing courses. A lot of marketplace people already have a crown of some sort anyway so it's a non-issue except for a handful of people in this thread making a big deal about it.

Its like the waiting period for buying a handgun. It will deter some, but will not stop everyone. It is something and that is all that matters. It isn't perfect but it will stop some crimes from happenning.

Not trying to make a big deal out of it. Just thought this was still a site where discussion was encouraged. :\

Not trying to make a big deal out of it. Just thought this was still a site where discussion was encouraged. :\

I thought that we were discssing it, and nobody got too bent or pissy!:hfive::D

Yea, if you sell one disc per year, then it's not worth it but I think most people sell more than that. Also, it's $5 PER YEAR, I spend way more than $5 on other random stuff every day of my life. It might not provide much of a deterrent but it is a deterrent none the less. A simple lock will deter most would-be burglars, this is no different. Sure they could smash your door in but chances are they'll move on to something that requires less effort.

To answer deadbody's question, if you don't have Paypal you could PM me and we could figure something out.

No, a simple lock keeps honest people out. A beefy lock is the same. A burglar will smash the window to open the door from the inside regardless of the lock. Chances are, if your house is ideally secluded and they see your big screen and they want it, then its gone.
A security system is a deterrent, but a simple lock certainly isnt. And since you say you wouldnt release anyone's paypal info, then we dont get added security from them paying you. we would find out quick if someone didnt have paypal, right when we ask them how to pay. And besides that, almost everyone here uses paypal to send "personal gifts", again, because of the razor thin margins. They arent even profit margins, they are loss margins.

Lets be honest and not sugar coat it, this is revenue and site support, and thats it. Im not against that, but I am against pretending it has these vague and nebulous benefits.

But Tim, your opinion is what we are calling into question when you are making a decision that will negatively impact your website based on a faulty opinion.

The true scammers are the dedicated ones, they will gladly pay $5 to get to scam people out of money. The other people are in general not really scammers, but people who got in over their head, or are forgetful and not great people.

Both of these parties would be less likely to scam people if they knew that the admins/mods would give out their personal e-mail and paypal info if they were shown to be on the wrong end of a bad deal. Might not stop the real scammers, but it will stop the forgetful or lazy people.

The $5 is going to stop a lot of small time people from posting sales and wanted threads, which will stop the people who are dedicated sellers from being as connected to the site, as they will go where the money is. Making it more difficult to buy and sell on here will lessen your traffic. Lessening your traffic will cause a spiral with less sales and less traffic. And so on and so forth.

No, a simple lock keeps honest people out. A beefy lock is the same. A burglar will smash the window to open the door from the inside regardless of the lock. Chances are, if your house is ideally secluded and they see your big screen and they want it, then its gone.
A security system is a deterrent, but a simple lock certainly isnt. And since you say you wouldnt release anyone's paypal info, then we dont get added security from them paying you. we would find out quick if someone didnt have paypal, right when we ask them how to pay. And besides that, almost everyone here uses paypal to send "personal gifts", again, because of the razor thin margins. They arent even profit margins, they are loss margins.

Lets be honest and not sugar coat it, this is revenue and site support, and thats it. Im not against that, but I am against pretending it has these vague and nebulous benefits.

LoPan is 100% correct.

I think deadbody has an accurace account of what is likely to happen if there is a $5 fee. I mean, I will pay it, but I won't feel any safer and I will be out 5 bucks.

Meh. Its just $5!
We should all have a little multi-colored crown next to our names, regardless, for how much Tim puts up with us.
I think its a fair deal. It might put off some people that don't sell that many discs, but $5 is so cheap.

The amount of discs available in the market place will go down drastically.
What the complainers here aren't taking into account is that's no great tragedy to the guy who's paying the bandwidth bill. I'd suspect the folks who are paying for stickies already have crowns.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the lengths many who play this game take to be frugal, but the complaining in this thread has got to be a new low. Maybe we should start a charity endowment for you guys who don't want to sacrifice a six pack, pack of smokes, or a handful of fountain drinks for a crown. I'll gladly throw in the first $10.

$5 is cheap, and that is why it won't work. A scammer stealing $100 won't be scared off by a $5 fee but a user trying to sell a disc or two will be.

Like I said before, if it happens I am going to pay it, I just think it will not change anything and cost legitimate users money.

I only use the MP a few times a year now and I'm not really sure $5 is worth it for me honestly. I don't really expect a drastic improvement to MP quality in terms of security and less clutter so I'm not really keen on paying for something I used to get for free.

And for the people taking the easy way out and saying "it's only $5!?!?! It's the least we can do!!!" keep in mind that this is a user driven site. Nobody is getting kickbacks to upload photos, reviews, or course maps, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.