• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marking lie inside the circle

Jacob

Birdie Member
Do you have to mark your lie inside the circle with a mini? Or can you mark it with a normal disc, or just play from behind the previously thrown disc?

You can use the previously thrown disc (do not flip it) or a mini. You can not use a normal disc out of your bag to mark your lie.

Marker discs need to be between 7cm and 15cm diameter.

Personally, I think that minis are the stupidest thing in DG, but it is the rule (and it's pretty easy to follow even if it is ridiculous).

You never need to use a mini if you think it makes you look stupid. However, the myriad other things that make you look stupid are your problem.

where do people get the idea that they can flip the disc with no penalty, I see it happen everywhere and then when you tell them it is illegal they get offended. for the marking inside the circle question, carry two putters, if you miss with your main putter throw your back-up (you should be close enough that the different flight wont make a difference) this will also help keep your back-up closer to your main in terms of wear, wont be exactly the same but better than it being completely fresh

Personally, I think that minis are the stupidest thing in DG, but it is the rule (and it's pretty easy to follow even if it is ridiculous).
If you only carry one disc (which is how the game started), how do you mark your lie?

So if I'm playing in a tourney and I do what gkeberhart says, and some dude says I have to use a mini, what rule do I cite?

So if I'm playing in a tourney and I do what gkeberhart says, and some dude says I have to use a mini, what rule do I cite?
You can just use your disc you just threw to mark. Nobody is going to call you on that. If they do they have no idea what they are talking about.

Edit: For the sake of argument :
803.03 Marking the Lie Section A: A player may instead choose, without touching or repositioning the thrown disc, to use the thrown disc as the marker.

Last edited:
Mark your lie with a mini or just play from behind the previously thrown disc.
Or use another object that fits the PDGA dimensions for a mini. Which makes me think of another situation. I lost my mini. Could I cut out a circle out of paper or cardboard(7-15cm in diameter) and use that as a mini?

I rarely use a mini. I almost always just play from behind my previously thrown disc. The only time I use a mini is when it will help with stance. flipping a disc or using another disc to mark is illegal. I rarely come across the situation that 11 inches is of much benefit but with an obstructed putt many times it can help.

You can use the thrown disc, just don't flip it. So you will be putting from 6-7 inches further back than if you use a mini. If you want the extra few inches, use a mini. Personally, in casual rounds or just playing by myself, I just flip my disc over and putt from there. But that wouldn't fly in a tournament.

You can just use your disc you just threw to mark. Nobody is going to call you on that. If they do they have no idea what they are talking about.

Edit: For the sake of argument :
803.03 Marking the Lie Section A: A player may instead choose, without touching or repositioning the thrown disc, to use the thrown disc as the marker.

If you only carry one disc (which is how the game started), how do you mark your lie?

You have play from behind your disc thrown, using it as the lie, or mark it. Since he doesnt have another disc to throw and has to use the one already thrown he cant use it to mark the lie, so he has to have a marker (mini)

I rarely use a mini. I almost always just play from behind my previously thrown disc. The only time I use a mini is when it will help with stance. flipping a disc or using another disc to mark is illegal. I rarely come across the situation that 11 inches is of much benefit but with an obstructed putt many times it can help.

Here is an example when the 11 inches may matter...

You throw a drive and your disc lands ON the circle. Meaning the line for the cirlce (assuming it is marked for a tournament) bisects your disc. If you mark your lie with a mini, you are now within the circle for you stance (assuming you are directly behind your mini). If you choose not to mark your lie and instead use the previously thrown disc, you are standing outside the circle. This will allow for no jump putt (inside) vs. jump putt possible (outside). What is the ruling?? I am not certain, but I did have this happen to me in a tournament.

Edit: I am also aware that you do not have to stand immediately behind the your disc or mini, just within the 11 inches. So you could potentially still mark with a mini and stand 11 inches behind that which puts you outside the cirlce again for your stance, but not for your mark...ruling please???

Last edited:

You throw a drive and your disc lands ON the circle. Meaning the line for the cirlce (assuming it is marked for a tournament) bisects your disc. If you mark your lie with a mini, you are now within the circle for you stance (assuming you are directly behind your mini). If you choose not to mark your lie and instead use the previously thrown disc, you are standing outside the circle. This will allow for no jump putt (inside) vs. jump putt possible (outside). What is the ruling?? I am not certain, but I did have this happen to me in a tournament.

If you mark it and are inside the circle, you can't jump putt.

If you don't mark it, your lie is outside and you can jump putt.

Flipping disc is not a big deal in casual rounds, but obviously a no-no for tourneys.

I use a mini when putting (don't think the 11inches matters from 100 feet out), because I don't like to see the disc when I putt. Having the much smaller mini makes it easier to focus.

Edit: I am also aware that you do not have to stand immediately behind the your disc or mini, just within the 11 inches. So you could potentially still mark with a mini and stand 11 inches behind that which puts you outside the cirlce again for your stance, but not for your mark...ruling please???

The rule is, if any part of your disc is inside the circle, your lie is considered inside the circle, no matter where you actually stand.
To put it another way, if any part of your disc is in the circle, you may not legally jump putt; no matter where your stance is.

As Kwick says, if any part of your disc is inside the circle, it is considered inside the circle, no matter where you actually stand. To put it another way, if any part of your disc is in the circle, you may not legally jump putt; no matter where your stance is.
I STRONGLY disagree, and the rules back me up. 803.04c:
Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation. The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the hole.

While it's true that if any part of your thrown disc is inside the circle, i.e., inside 10m, then you may not follow thru on your putt if you use a mini marker to mark your lie. However, if any part of your thrown disc is outside the 10m circle, you may follow thru after releasing your throw IF you use that thrown disc as your marker.