• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Matchplay

cjd0718

Does anyone have any experience running a long term match play event? I am looking for match play scorecards and a pool generator.

I have run the VTI for quite some time. After much experimentation we finally simply gave up on scorecards for it- I have regualr scorecards on hand for players who feel they need them but most people just keep it verbally. Winner is responsible for reporting to tourney central.

Pool generator in what sense? There are several online.

For VTI (and ODCC which is basically the Am VTI) pools are generated based on the prior year's finish- even teams from one side and odd teams from the other make up the new pools.

What do you mean by long-term? A league, or something similar? Or an event held year after year?

As a side note, the PDGA now includes Match Play rules in Appendix A of the 2018 rulebook along with a variety of Doubles formats.

As a further sidenote, I really appreciate this, because we have match play in our team play event, and I always (1) extend the players meeting, explaining it for those who have never played it before and (2) spend the rest of the day worrying that they didn't understand.

As a further sidenote, I really appreciate this, because we have match play in our team play event, and I always (1) extend the players meeting, explaining it for those who have never played it before and (2) spend the rest of the day worrying that they didn't understand.

The beauty of it with VTI is that 11 of the 12 teams return each year and the vast majority of players on those teams have been there before. They can guide the others through it.

As a side note, the PDGA now includes Match Play rules in Appendix A of the 2018 rulebook along with a variety of Doubles formats.

Insight as to why putting after the hole is decided is denied when it is acceptable under the rules of traditional golf?

Insight as to why putting after the hole is decided is denied when it is acceptable under the rules of traditional golf?
Not sure specifically but I suspect it has to do with being consistent with our "no practice throws" in general rule. Ball golf allows practice shots after holing out if it doesn't slow the group behind. Disc golf still doesn't allow practice shots at any time during the round.

Without the guidance of official rules, I've been having this argument with my co-TD for years. I'm in favor of denying the unneeded putt; he's for allowing it.

The beauty of it with VTI is that 11 of the 12 teams return each year and the vast majority of players on those teams have been there before. They can guide the others through it.

Yeah, we don't have that luxury. Plus, there are too few match play events, so I'm not confident people who've been here only once or twice before, fully remember what they're doing.

One great thing for the TD, of course, is that whatever 2 people screw up, only affects their match. All I'm looking for is a winner.

It was in the first draft, but it seemed better to lean toward disc golf match play being more like disc golf medal (regular) play than being more like golf match play. Fewer rules for disc golfers to remember. No need to explain to new players that you can practice between holes at some events and not others. Less "Hey, what are those guys in that group doing making practice putts over there?"

Without the guidance of official rules, I've been having this argument with my co-TD for years. I'm in favor of denying the unneeded putt; he's for allowing it.

I have been allowing it, not because i knew the traditional golf rule but because I didn't really see any reason not to. i don't know the traditional golf rules to any real degree- never played a round in my life. I also allow players in a foursome who have completed their match to continue playing the holes along with a pair still playing. if it were a big money thing i might consider otherwise but i intentionally keep the money out of the VTI for the most part.

Not a problem allowing players whose match is finished to continue playing since their round is over and it keeps the group together for rules calls as needed in a twosome.

I have been allowing it, not because i knew the traditional golf rule but because I didn't really see any reason not to. i don't know the traditional golf rules to any real degree- never played a round in my life. I also allow players in a foursome who have completed their match to continue playing the holes along with a pair still playing. if it were a big money thing i might consider otherwise but i intentionally keep the money out of the VTI for the most part.

My personal preference is to say, when the hole or match is over, it's OVER. It seems odd to continue throwing when it won't count.

I had the experience this summer, in a match play tournament that prohibited non-counting throws, of going a long stretch without a putt. Either my opponent made one to beat me before I got my chance---or he deliberately conceded a hole when he had a long low-percentage shot, just to deny me a chance to putt. Just so I couldn't get in a rhythm.

It's not a big deal to me, either way. But that's my preference. My brother and co-TD feels otherwise, about this and playing out after the match is concluded; one of his argument is that people come all this way to play Stoney Hill, why deny them the chance to play out holes if they want?

My personal preference is to say, when the hole or match is over, it's OVER. It seems odd to continue throwing when it won't count.

I had the experience this summer, in a match play tournament that prohibited non-counting throws, of going a long stretch without a putt. Either my opponent made one to beat me before I got my chance---or he deliberately conceded a hole when he had a long low-percentage shot, just to deny me a chance to putt. Just so I couldn't get in a rhythm.

It's not a big deal to me, either way. But that's my preference. My brother and co-TD feels otherwise, about this and playing out after the match is concluded; one of his argument is that people come all this way to play Stoney Hill, why deny them the chance to play out holes if they want?

I agree with your brother. Also, at the ones i run the players in a group will play one match, reconfigure themselves in the field and play a second against someone else. Seems unfair to not let the ones who finish their match quickly continue to be warmed up.

I agree with your brother. Also, at the ones i run the players in a group will play one match, reconfigure themselves in the field and play a second against someone else. Seems unfair to not let the ones who finish their match quickly continue to be warmed up.

Yes, that split-round format would add a consideration for playing out.

I just feel odd, as a player, continuing to throw when the outcome is decided. Or having others do it. But, as I said, I don't see it as a big deal, otherwise.

Our other reason for allowing it was that we weren't sure how to apply a penalty, in match play. Carry forward to the next hole?

One benefit of prohibiting non-counting shots is pace of play. There's a match play tournament in Greenville, SC, that I played this summer, and it was amazing how fast it went. With conceded holes, people not putting out, and matches ended when they concluded (leaving one match on the card, and someone just walking with them), the pace was brisk.

I don't see it as a clear best way, either way. If a TD wants to allow people to play out holes---or if a group just decides to do so---it's hard to see much harm. All the TD wants is a win/loss result, and there are no ratings or points or anything else to be affected. And in most tournaments using match play, not much the TD can do about it if the players in the match agree....unless he wants to DQ them, which he won't.

One benefit of prohibiting non-counting shots is pace of play. There's a match play tournament in Greenville, SC, that I played this summer, and it was amazing how fast it went. With conceded holes, people not putting out, and matches ended when they concluded (leaving one match on the card, and someone just walking with them), the pace was brisk.

I don't see it as a clear best way, either way. If a TD wants to allow people to play out holes---or if a group just decides to do so---it's hard to see much harm. All the TD wants is a win/loss result, and there are no ratings or points or anything else to be affected. And in most tournaments using match play, not much the TD can do about it if the players in the match agree....unless he wants to DQ them, which he won't.

I lean toward the no putting/practice rule for two reasons: speed of play, and it allows your opponent to get in your head if they can. There's no truly correct answer, just preferences.