• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Meathook Overstable Putters vs Midranges

haier2

Par Member
I have long left out the slower "meathook" slot in my bag. I don't like lugging around a full bag of plastic, especially overlapping molds.

In those situations where a short to medium hard turn is necessary, it seems like the distance and shot coverage gap between overstable putters and overstable midranges is very slim.

How do you decide which speed of super overstable disc to carry, or do you just carry both?

:popcorn:

I carry a gator and a firebird. I used to throw a drone, but figure that i can cover a wider range of shots by adjusting power with a putter and a fairway

I carry Harps and Suspects for approach shots, a Verdict midrange, a XXX fairway and an Enforcer driver. I like having just the right speed disc for a shot. Powering down a faster disc just doesn't fly the same for me as a normal powered throw with the appropriate disc.

If you're looking for a good tweener, the Harp, Suspect, and Zone all fit the bill. Shorter than a mid, longer than a putter and overstable.

I carry a VP for OS putting/short approaches and a Zone for slightly longer OS approaches.
There may be some overlap, but not enough for me to bag just one over the other.

I carry a gator and a firebird. I used to throw a drone, but figure that i can cover a wider range of shots by adjusting power with a putter and a fairway

This except a zone instead of the gator.

Broken record, I carry a Zone and Firebird and power up/down accordingly.

I'll add to the broken record: I carry a Zone, an FAF Firebird and a slightly domey 12x that I can actually throw.

I usually just throw a Viper. But when I carry more than I do right now, I bag a VP too. It's just a little more controllable on those short OS shots, and doesn't skip at all. Vipers don't skip much, but the VP does even less.

The Gator and Drone are both small diameter mids. Where's your OS putter mentioned?

I carry a Harp, either a Viper or Drone and a FB. But partly because I throw tons of FH shots will all of them, but will BH all in the right situation.

I carry a beat Vector which has lost a lot of it fade but still won't turn over. Then I carry a Resistor for any time I need something really OS.

I only carry Pures, Credos, and a Lucky as my putters and midranges. I find the rest can be accomplished by powering down drivers.