• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Media talking while players are throwing

whiteybear

I do agree that if you are going to be affiliated with the PDGA in filming and producing videos then yes you can regulate that and should. I was talking about joe smoe with his gopro just walking around.

Not put your mini down in front of your disc, but they just toss it down in the vicinity of the lie and go from there, or they flip the disc giving themselves a couple of extra inches.

Example of either in the USDGC, please?

Just link the video and tell us what time. Thanks!!

I will have to watch it tonight, won't link a video as that will be a fail but will get some reference points. He was actually surprised about how casually they were doing it.

I have a buddy that never watches disc golf, but was watching the USDGC live at work and the one thing that stuck out to him in the live broadcast more than anything is how they mark their lies. Not put your mini down in front of your disc, but they just toss it down in the vicinity of the lie and go from there, or they flip the disc giving themselves a couple of extra inches. That is a violation of the rules that should be enforced but isn't in any way, shape or form.

I never saw anyone flip a disc

I did see players throw down their mini, but I also saw them adjust it before removing the thrown disc

I don't think this was a real issue

So how to you keep someone from filming a disc golf event in a public park? Private i understand as they have their own rules. Not sure how many of the big events are in public parks. Not trolling either, a serious question.

I get that but there are cost associated with shutting down a whole public park. in the case of the Tough Mudder and those type events they pay for that service. You can't just put up ropes and say i was here first. Hence my question. If the PDGA or local club wants to foot the bill on that then yay but i don't see that happening.

You bring up a good distinction to make. When events are run it is typically (like some have said) a permitted event making it a private event for a specific purpose. In that sense the general public has a right to be there, and if it was a multi use park you couldn't stop someone from standing in an "open" part of the park with an iPhone, but commercial filming would be allowed to be regulated with regards to the event...which I think is the distinction. There's a difference between spectators taking a video for personal use and commercial video enterprise. Hope that clears it up :)

Is that why Will shanked that tee shot so bad on hole 1 final round?

It seemed so at the time anyway. The cameraman was <5ft from the front corner of the tee. I don't want to speak for Will though so it's just my conjecture.

I never saw anyone flip a disc

I did see players throw down their mini, but I also saw them adjust it before removing the thrown disc

I don't think this was a real issue

What I think he is referencing is when players were taking their relief from OB or nearly OB shots. They were a bit casual. IMO nobody played illegally however because the rule states "up to 1m relief" as opposed to exactly 1m.

I hope this doesn't mean that they will try to shut down all videos other than officially sanctioned ones. IMO all of the filming that is going on is actually helping grow the sport, especially the delayed broadcasts. There is no way I can get a casual player buddy of mine to watch a live broadcast with endless filler and useless commentary. We do watch the videos that are summaries of the event, just showing throws with very good commentary.

I don't think there is really an issue with Crazy or Greenwell following the cards around giving commentary. The one instance where it distracted John E you could tell Crazy was getting really excited and his voice was rising; it was certainly an unprofessional moment but that's what you get when you don't have professionals doing the job. As long as they stay with the whisper in to the mic it's not going to bother anyone.

I think the DGPlanet coverage has became way better and their technical difficulties are being worked out but in the end if they want a high level broadcast they're going to need professional commentators who have had serious experience in that field. You can tell both of the guys get kind of lost at moments.

I mean just look at how having a really solid announcer or commentator affects major sports. If some guy you can't stand is calling the game it annoys you and you may not even want to watch it. The same goes with disc golf and casual observers who the PDGA is trying to target with this coverage; they may love watching the action but be turned off by the unprofessional commentary.

Last edited:
I don't think there is really an issue with Crazy or Greenwell following the cards around giving commentary. The one instance where it distracted John E you could tell Crazy was getting really excited and his voice was rising; it was certainly an unprofessional moment but that's what you get when you don't have professionals doing the job. As long as they stay with the whisper in to the mic it's not going to bother anyone.

I think the DGPlanet coverage has became way better and their technical difficulties are being worked out but in the end if they want a high level broadcast they're going to need professional commentators who have had serious experience in that field. You can tell both of the guys get kind of lost at moments.
Really though, the guy 'in the field' shouldn't be on the mic during shots. That should be reserved for the people back in the booth who can see all the camera angles as a shot flies through the air to the landing spot.

You throw to the 'guy in the field' to get some analysis or color, not for the full play-by-play.

I mean... we have over 50 years of sports broadcasting that has pretty much set the template for how live events are covered. I don't think disc golf is going to revolutionize anything in this regards and, if anything, will start to trend to a more polished 'traditional' broadcast like we are used to seeing.

Exactly. I'd bet a nickel there are 0 instances of the flip your disc style. And they throw down their mini a lot but almost always adjust it...unless the mini actually lands as a correct mark.

Really though, the guy 'in the field' shouldn't be on the mic during shots. That should be reserved for the people back in the booth who can see all the camera angles as a shot flies through the air to the landing spot.

You throw to the 'guy in the field' to get some analysis or color, not for the full play-by-play.

I mean... we have over 50 years of sports broadcasting that has pretty much set the template for how live events are covered. I don't think disc golf is going to revolutionize anything in this regards and, if anything, will start to trend to a more polished 'traditional' broadcast like we are used to seeing.

With no disrespect intended to DGPlanet, I agree 100% with this post. Although, I think if they had the budget I would agree that a full studio setup would be ideal.

Like I've said before live broadcasting is exponentially more expensive than recorded/edited.

I 100% agree with everyone on here. You should show respect and try not to distract people while they are throwing. At the same time, i think the people that have nothing to do with the tourney and just happen to be in the park or parking lot are more distracting than anything else. Like the prick bumping his music last weekend during the USDGC. That was pretty ridiculous. It would be nice if our sport was just treated with more respect in general. I love that anyone can come out and play without having to pay green fees or dress certain ways, but sometimes it would be nice if we could have the park to ourselves.

chrismalatesta you have a point. the guy bumping his music was nothing compared to the yells of "your all Frisbee throwing f%$gs" that I heard from a car on Thursday. that one gave me and the spotters a good laugh

shhh!

I was standing next to Greenwell filming one of Will's putts during the final round. Greenwell & myself were well back from where Will was & yet Dave was still talking very softly. Almost a whisper. He was going on about Will's year so far & how much this win would mean for him etc. the whole time while Will was putting but you could barely hear him even standing right next to him. Watching it on TV & hearing the commentary you would think that they are blasting their voice through a megaphone. But it is not always the case in person!
On a side note: I've always thought that you should be able to play through most distractions, noises, people moving, talking, etc. It's called focus!
Having said that I try to stay completely out of the players way when I'm shooting. I don't talk, move or make distracting sounds around the players. It's called respect. This is their show. I'm just there to record it for prosperity!

Most of the event commentary should be coming from the booth where the talent has confidence monitors and multi-view so they can keep track of the action with the multiple camera angles (ideally across multiple cards, but that is future-talk).

They should only throw to the 'on the field' talent when it makes sense during the broadcast... to add color and flavor to the main commentary.

It seems like DGPlanet is almost doing it backwards from how a traditional broadcast would go. Not to mention they have a TON of latency between the 'on the field' talent and the booth talent when throwing back and forth to eachother. Which makes everything just look and sound awkward.

To answer the OP... this 'shouldn't' be an issue at all if DGPlanet was doing their broadcast like it 'should' be done. There must be some technical reason why they are doing it like they currently are.

The main talent camera had terrible exposure/color balance/etc also... but thats a complaint for a different day.

I think the main reason they do it backwards from a traditional standpoint is the amount of cameras with different angles is not good enough at this point. The on field commentator can give a much better analysis of the shots in regards to distance, OBs, etc. just by being there and seeing it with their own eyes.