• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Memphis or Nashville

sscarmana

Par Member
The Mrs. said that she wants to head to Nashville or Memphis for a weekend trip, so I naturally looked to see which town has more/better courses.

Anyone from TN have any recommendations for golfing or other fun in either city?

As a newly minted Memphis resident, there's a lot here, but it's so spread out. I also haven't played any Nashville courses, but if the reviews and media here are anything to go by, Nashville is probably the better of the two.

Having said that, here's a quick rundown of the Memphis area courses (I haven't reviewed any because I want to play them a few times before I review each one):

Central Park in Southaven, MS, is probably my favorite course in the area of the ones I've played so far. Fun park course with a good mix of different throws. Few long holes, few short holes. Lots of tweener par 3.5's that are all fun to throw. Decently easy to navigate too.

MAM DGC. There are pictures of all 18 holes over at discgolfscene. Haven't played it yet but heard it's a fun course.

Shelby Farms. Make sure you're using Udisc, as there aren't tee signs right now while the club finalizes the new layout. There are a few signs still hanging on, but the key thing is to go up and to the right in the woods after hole 2 to get to the new tee for hole 3. Additionally, the tees for 16 and 17 are dirt right now, and the marking for 17 is really lacking. It's also a mostly wide open bomber course, although there are a few shorter holes and some technical-ish greens. Fun to throw.

Libertyland. Go during the day, it's in a rougher part of town. Central BBQ, Memphis Made Brewing Co., and the Railgarten bar are right near it though. I didn't finish playing it when I went because my girlfriend was with me, she wasn't a fan of the area, and the only holes I had left were wide open field holes. If you can deal with that though, there are some extremely fun holes using the spots of mature trees. Sadly, to make a full 18 they had to have a few throw in the field type holes, but it's alright.

Johnson Road Park (JRP) is a fun park course. First five holes are seriously wooded, then the rest is parkland. A few holes where you can lose a disc in the ponds so be careful, but otherwise super fun course to throw.

Sycamore Creek DGC at Hinton Park: the name is longer than the course, but it's a nice little nine hole course. Couple really silly holes but some solid ones as well.

To the north, there's the two private Bud Hill courses, which I've heard are great, and the two courses at Meeman-Shelby state forest, which are heavily wooded but I've heard are fun as well. Out towards the boondocks you have Edmund Orgill, which is really tough to navigate but fun to play. I think Udisc has the original 18 hole layout in the maps. To play the 20 hole layout, after hole 7, walk across the road and there should be a tee sign. Hole 8 is the pad near 5's raised basket back across the road. Then, hole 20 is teeing from under the big trees across the road from 19's basket down to the practice basket. Also, when you get to the park and enter it, the disc golf parking is in the same lot to the left as the boat parking. There are also a pair of courses in Southaven or Horn Lake MS at Latimer Park. I haven't played them but the locals there play them all. the. time.

Additionally, Memphis has a lot of other cool stuff. The Rendevous downtown makes amazing pork ribs, and all 5 breweries in town make excellent beer. Wiseacre doesn't have a huge selection but they make great beer, and the outdoor space is really nice.

If you pick Memphis, hit me up, if I can I'd love to throw a round!

I'm on the TN border in Alabama, but i must say that Nashville has got a great DG scene and city itself has a lot too offer as well. I've played several great courses there already, Cedar Hill, Seven Oaks and Cane Ridge. These all are high in my course ranking. I'm sure Memphis does as well, but have only played the Bud Hill courses thus far, which is awesome as well. I have lengthy reviews for all these except Seven Oaks, which I just played.

The Mrs. said that she wants to head to Nashville or Memphis for a weekend trip, so I naturally looked to see which town has more/better courses.

Anyone from TN have any recommendations for golfing or other fun in either city?

Very tough call for me. Both cities will provide a weekend's worth of fun stuff to do for sure. Both are awesome, awesome food towns. Nashville has stronger courses and I don't think that's debatable. However, I think this choice depends on how much time you'll have for discin'. If you have lots of disc time, head to Nashville and do the Cedar, Seven, etc thing. If not, I'd say Memphis because BUD MF'N HILL! It's a 4.0 course with a 5.0 vibe and fun-factor (also a fun pitch n' putt 18 on site). If you go to Bud Hill you won't play the toughest course out there but you'll probably meet some great folks and have an awesome time.

One more consideration
Lodging:
Nashville $$$$
Memphis $

AirBNB is the best option for Nashville if you're trying to stay near downtown

The real question is: Who's BBQ is better?

My girlfriend said the best pulled pork she had was in a Mac and Cheese and pulled pork dish in Nashville, but I thought Central's pulled pork in Memphis was amazing. So it's really a toss up 🤣

The real question is: Who's BBQ is better?

I'm sure even native Nashvillians will concede to Memphis in BBQ although Nashville wins in every other food category. Memphis is (hot take incoming...) firmly on the Mt Rushmore of BBQ towns (and not because of Rendezvous).

Last edited:
I've enjoyed Memphis on business trips. Beale Street is fun and you can visit Graceland (tacky, but glad I went). I've only spent one night in Nashville, but would like to spend more time there.

I'm sure even native Nashvillians will concede to Memphis in BBQ although Nashville wins in every other food category. Memphis is (hot take incoming...) firmly on the Mt Rushmore of BBQ towns (and not because of Rendezvous).

Boo, hiss, boo; although you're definitely right :D Rendevous is more about the experience, although the dry rub they use is amazing! The thing that puts Memphis BBQ over the top for me is just how many fantastic places there are for it. In Collierville, there's George's BBQ, which is just sitting there in a chill strip mall, but also makes fantastic bbq! Honestly, there's a pretty strong food truck scene in Memphis though, and a lot of the breweries bring them in almost, if not every, night.

BBQ Nachos at Central in Memphis. Easily would drive 4 hours for that. Haven't checked out the disc golf scene yet but even if they only had one mediocre course I'd still go there.

I've played three courses in Nashville and can't wait to return. I've played one in Memphis and only care to go back because I didn't play Harmon Hills which is not really in Memphis.

I've played three courses in Nashville and can't wait to return. I've played one in Memphis and only care to go back because I didn't play Harmon Hills which is not really in Memphis.

Harmon Hills is over by Knoxville, not Memphis

I would vote Memphis because you easily can play disc golf courses in three different states: Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas.

In addition to Cedar Hill, I'd throw in Naval Hill as a terrific Nashville course.

on a weekend trip i would suggest Nashville. Cedar Hills is a world class course and 1 round is a great hike. Seven Oaks is a classic tight wooded course that would round out a weekend nicely. obviously lots to do when you are aren't throwing. beat the heat early golf and pool time and meals after sounds like a ton of fun. best of luck!