• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Metal/Wire in new disc. WTH?

I agree with Sloppy, I'm constantly hearing, "Discraft's molds are flawless", "High quality work, high quality product", in reference to Discraft's molding process. This is worse than any defect I've ever seen in an Innova disc, and I've seen specks, bubbles and slight bumps/dings and such from the factory....never have I seen this ever!

I'd love to xray some star plastic
probably find staples and teeth

I doubt the "wire" is significantly more dense than the plastic that is supposed to be in its place

This could be a big problem!!! What are all the people that only buy Discraft due to their perfect quality control and consistency going to do?? I would expect a flood of marketplace offerings any minute now.

Oh the flight of the disc won't change though. so really no problem.
Go Discraft :thmbup:

The thing is, it's not really noticeable at all unless you're examining the disc up close. I don't even throw Z Wasps so it won't be an issue for me, but if you threw this disc no one would even know it was there unless they picked it up. What are they doing picking up the disc you just threw in a tourney? Exactly.

This disc is worth more to me to sell than Discraft would likely reimburse. It's not a bad idea, and maybe I'll try it. However, if a bubble doesn't rule a disc illegal (it's technically air inside the disc, thus altering the flight) why would this flaw, which obviously came from the factory?

A little carefully placed Sharpie or dye job and no one's the wiser.

I think that the tech standards document that you can read online is a little vague when it comes to the issue of this piece of metal. "non magnetic plastic material". I guess rubber counts as a plastic material. I guess that metal isn't a plastic material. I am sure that there a plenty of plastics in the world that have salts in them. This is an interesting problem. Perhaps the PDGA will be nice enough to spend some time fixing up there tech standards document so that the wording is less vague.

Then again if they did this with all their documents, including the rules, they might be editing documents from now until the end of time. Vagueness is part of sports.

I might have to do this. What do you think I should start the bidding at? Is $1,000 too low? It's not blueberry, but it does have the metal thing going for it.

I think $1,000 is a good opening bid. An Innova fan would probably buy it to forever hold over the heads of us Discaft fans! I told you discraft wasn't perfect, duhoh!

I think that the tech standards document that you can read online is a little vague when it comes to the issue of this piece of metal. "non magnetic plastic material". I guess rubber counts as a plastic material. I guess that metal isn't a plastic material. I am sure that there a plenty of plastics in the world that have salts in them. This is an interesting problem. Perhaps the PDGA will be nice enough to spend some time fixing up there tech standards document so that the wording is less vague.

Then again if they did this with all their documents, including the rules, they might be editing documents from now until the end of time. Vagueness is part of sports.

I'm confused, are you trying to say that "non magnetic plastic material" is vague? I think it is rather specific really.

Flaws

Oh the flight of the disc won't change though. so really no problem.
Go Discraft :thmbup:

I wasn't trying to diss Discraft. They make some really good discs. I just think that ALL disc manufacturers have some issues. I know enough about plastics to be dangerous, and know how tough QC can be in my business, which involves life/safety issues as well as designing products that go onto power plants including Nuclear. Plastic companies have been known to change blends and compounds without telling anybody. I am just guessing that a disc company has less QC and certainly UL people in place to catch these issues. Just a fact of life. But I find it humorous when people claim uber-superiority for o e manufacturers quality. I love Latitude plastic, but they certainly aren't perfect either. Thus my stable Visions, and my wacky, flip-'em by looking at them Visions.

It's definitely a tracking device. All discs have them but they are supposed to use the invisible ones in the clear discs. All disc golfers are tracked. If you wear a foil helmet it will throw the signal off.

I had my [FLIP CITY IS THE GREATEST] foil helmet removed by Tom Julio [FLIP CITY IS THE GREATEST] personally, with no [FLIP CITY IS THE GREATEST] side effects at all.

Are they selling the tracking information? Because when I am out of town 'working' my wife always knows when I played a round. Strange....

Dammit, you're right! LOL

^Can I say dammit here?

Infraction time! Landfill! Ahhhhh! :p

If it's copper wire you better hide it in this economy. Someone might break into your disc and steal that.

I would keep it myself. But I would be curious to know if they would give you a replacement disc or not if you asked.

I wasn't trying to diss Discraft. They make some really good discs. I just think that ALL disc manufacturers have some issues. I know enough about plastics to be dangerous, and know how tough QC can be in my business, which involves life/safety issues as well as designing products that go onto power plants including Nuclear. Plastic companies have been known to change blends and compounds without telling anybody. I am just guessing that a disc company has less QC and certainly UL people in place to catch these issues. Just a fact of life. But I find it humorous when people claim uber-superiority for o e manufacturers quality. I love Latitude plastic, but they certainly aren't perfect either. Thus my stable Visions, and my wacky, flip-'em by looking at them Visions.

Don't feel too bad
Ya know damn well that if this was an Innova disc there would be 20 Discraftoids on here hollering about Innova's lack of consistency/QC - ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

And 100 more d-bags yelling that Innova shouldn't have even made it because they don't wanna throw it.

Latest posts