• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mixed bags...

Plankeye

Double Eagle Member
Lately there has been a lot of bashing of people that are loyal to one and only one disc golf company.

If a person only wants to throw innova or discraft, then why bash their decision. People have their own reasons why they do not have mixed bags.

I use to throw a mixed bag myself but now I am solely discraft/dga. I know that innova has some good discs out there but I like how my discs fly and the feel of their plastic. Plus I know that the molds that I enjoy throwing won't change!

I love Discraft and Lat64 discs, but those Innova Aviars are as butter as putters can even get, so there's my bias.

I have mostly Innova discs, as I'm still beginning. I like those discs. They're great, they do their job. I think it's easier to identify Innova, and then transfer to a different company.

i don't think it is a problem as long as you don't stop trying disc from other brands.

A coule years ago i play t a tourney with a guy who had an innova bag full of innova discs, wearing and innova hat and shirt. when i made a great shot with my demon he asked my what the innova equal would be. he shopps at the same shop i do which carries 6 brands, but he only buy innova.

now i throw alot of discraft but i don't limit myself and don't understand why you would unless sponcered.

I throw whatever tickles my fancy at the moment.

I honestly think it would be cool to actually build bags with only one manufacturer. Like have an all innova bag, all discraft bag, all lighting bag, all lat 64 bag ect. And still have my normal (best) bag. Its a slow process but Im starting to do it.

i don't think it is a problem as long as you don't stop trying disc from other brands.

Yes! I am all for liking a certain brand, but I am not afraid to try something new, as well. In fact, I have totally hopped onto the MVP bandwagon and love my Axis. I also found a nice tweener disc in the Squall. Both of these were the product of not caring about brand and just going for what works the best for me.

To only throw one brand for any reason other than sponsorship is silly. Yes your entitled to having a preferred brand, but to refuse to try anything else is stupid.

mostly lat64 here. its all good except when i need to replace a lost disc or try a new mold. the GL plastic is a little $$$

people are wired differently. some people will only throw one brand because they are slightly OCD. i'm pretty sure those same people follow that same process when selecting other products. don't judge people because you don't understand their motives.

I carry almost all Discraft. One big reason is the fact that I love to support local Michigan businesses and Discraft makes their discs about half an hour from where I live. I also bought an MVP Axis which is also made in Michigan. So far I really like the discs I've tried from both companies. I did buy some Innova discs for my kids, since they have a much wider selection of light-weight discs than Discraft.

Unless you're being paid to only throw a specific company, you're doing yourself a disservice because you're trading confidence in your game for a label (in the case of the innumerable "what's this company's version of this mold?" threads that pop up here).

Last edited:
I started throwing only Innova because that's all I knew. Now I have a wide selection of discs. If I see something I like ill give it a try

I agree you should carry what you feel comfortable throwing. I throw Innova drivers, Discraft mids, and Gateway/MVP.Putters.

I used to putt with a Spike...but didn't feel right about having a non Made In the USA disc in my bag. :)

I have thrown only Discraft for years. I do have several non Discraft discs. The last non Discraft disc in my bag was a Banshee. I just recently got my 1st Gateway and Lat discs to check out. Will they make the bag? Probably not. Innova and Discraft both have a full line of discs that could be used to make an exclusive bag with. I do not feel like I'm doing myself a disservice, or shorting myself. I don't get why people get so annoyed with this issue. Discraft discs are the best for me. But if all Innova or 1 disc from each manufacturer is what you want in your bag, then by all means go for it. I am not sponsered by Discraft. But I do use an Innova bag!

Innova discs are much more readily available where I live, so that's what most of the people around here throw. I started with a Beast, a Shark, and an Aviar. I played with a friend one day that was carrying an FLX Buzzz, and after seeing him throw straight line after straight line, I bought one. I've been hooked on Discraft ever since. I do carry a couple of Innovas and a Lat 64, but I just prefer Discraft. I think the quality is better, I think they make less unnecessary molds, and I personally love smoking some dumbass on the course after hearing him say "you throw Discrap?" People who rag on anybody for throwing anything are just plain ignorant. This is a game that we play for fun, not to pick on others to make up for our own inadequacy.

The point isn't that any one company is bad. The point is that people have this delusion that only throwing one company somehow gives them "consistency." That's just wrong. The thing is, no one company has the perfect complementary arsenal of discs, so when you only throw one company you are really limiting yourself from the better discs that are out there.

Good points made in this thread. I just don't feel that it is right to bash someone that only wants to throw a certain brand.

It is very hard to compared discs between companies because it is highly doubtful that two discs from different companies will have the same exact flight path or ratings. However if someone asks me for a discraft equivalent of a leopard, I will try to tell them what disc flies the closest to it that is made by discraft.

Like another person said, some people are (my self being one of them) are slightly OCD. Is it "silly" that I only drive Ford trucks, only play Ibanez guitars, and only use Shimano fishing equipment? Of course not. Those are the brands that I have had good experiences with, and unless something else comes along that I feel will be substantially better, I see no need to change. I can understand the point that people might be limiting themselves by only carrying one brand, but if that's what they choose to do and it has no direct effect on you, why give them flack about it?

Good points made in this thread. I just don't feel that it is right to bash someone that only wants to throw a certain brand.

It is very hard to compared discs between companies because it is highly doubtful that two discs from different companies will have the same exact flight path or ratings. However if someone asks me for a discraft equivalent of a leopard, I will try to tell them what disc flies the closest to it that is made by discraft.

Two discs from two companies pretty much never have the same characteristics. That's what I'm saying. It is silly to settle for a Discraft Leopard "equivelent" because Discraft simply doesn't make a disc that is quite as good as the Leopard.

Latest posts