• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More spin for my hybrid putting?

todvan

Par Member
I use a blended spin/push putt style. 30 feet and in this works fine for me, but further out results in weak wobbly flight and I am guessing that I need more spin on my release for a better flight. Is it simply a matter of curling my wrist more in setup to allow for more spin coming off my hand? Is a modified fan grip the best grip for generating spin? Do I just need to get my wrist stronger? I don't have a video to share, but just looking for ideas on generating more spin in my putts. thanks!

Try a firmer grip, aiming a little higher, putting your back leg further back, & a good hip thrust with a good high leg kick behind you. That a lot to get timed up but it should give you more distance outside the circle.

Maybe tighten up your grip and release with your nose slightly up for those longer putts. Keep it smooth and keep your chin up.

Bold=flat too that helps keeping the throwing arm flatter on the throw. I have to use the other hand minus the thumb to have a track to putt flat.

Spin is an illusion man, it's like There but it's not something that's easy to get more of man. It used to be one of the first things I thought about now it's the last thing I care about.

You've hit your awkward range: good grip, smooth flat and straight will be your friends more than the fickle spin. That being said the best way is to load your body/arm/hand more. Try grabbing the disc further around the side for more spin, use a rocking motion towards the basket.

Rock forward, back, forward. The backswing actually helps get more snap on it, load the disc on rock back. When you rock forward.. Push off with your back leg, arm loaded, just before you get the weight on your front foot the arm should be moving, when the weight hits your front foot coordinate it so you snap/throw the disc at a split second after.

If I'm a ways out I cock my body on more of a 45 degree angle so I can get a further reachback but as soon as I try to add spin for distance I miss left (LHBH) because I torque my shot. Try to remember what works at 30ft, keep doing that. Better.

Last edited:
At one point I tuck my pinky into the rim in my fan grip to get a bit more range. For me I dont normally do that until ~45 ft, I just switch grips like this whenever I feel like it... you should just try putting harder then worry about changing anything else imo

At one point I tuck my pinky into the rim in my fan grip to get a bit more range. For me I dont normally do that until ~45 ft, I just switch grips like this whenever I feel like it... you should just try putting harder then worry about changing anything else imo

Or for Todvan try using the back leg push off the ground more and more with a decent speed that will work out to 20 feet without much for back leg pushing off the ground just about 3/4-1 foot off the ground.

Last edited:

Same here, but I tuck my pinky against the edge most of the time. Full fan grip feels unstable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may try tucking the pinky. As for putting harder, this is where I am struggling, even with a good push off, I get too much arm and not enough spin, leaving a wobbly flying attempts that come up short when I am outside the circle. Spin putters seem to get much better flight from distance, and I was hoping to add some spin somehow to get a better flight in my longer putts. I have not tried to learn step through or jump putting yet because it seems awkward and less accurate. This video is interesting...he gets lots of spin... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iz0ak4GP_cg

I spent all last winter going from a "push" to a "spin" putt. It took a lot of tweaking my form, but I succeeded. Look at your putter as a clock. You should grip the disc with the meat of your hand at around 1 not 3. That alone gave me more "spin". I learned that from watching Simon putt. Also the farther away you are from the basket, the farther back your back foot needs to be. I recommend doing what I did, study good "spin putters" and practice. This isn't something you change over night, you need to change your muscle memory. Switching to a beadless putter helped me out too. That part may not work for everybody though.

FWIW.. There was this thread from "Quick thought on power pocket" from Bradley Walker..

Some of the descriptions could use updating but this and SW's to down of KY from earlier show it in action - https://imgur.com/Alq70Di

Alq70Di.jpg

Rhatton1 re posted these two images, the thread was more about driving but note the "reverse K" (RHBH). I messed around with it for driving and also applied it to my putting to get more short snap.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132180&highlight=Bradley+walker

It might change the way you think about loading your disc and of course get more snap.

Last edited: