• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] More Than One Putting Putter

GripEnemy

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Premium Member
Daughter is awake and puking, currently 4:32am and yay.

Anyone ever hear of or see discussion of using more than one "go to" putter? Is it that ridiculous to use a(n) uphill/downhill/tailwind/headwind/L>R wind/R>L wind/forceful/gentle/whatever putter? Sleep deprivation and three Troeggs Perpetual pounders probably don't hurt, but let's start a discussion.

More than one "putting" mold isn't stupid. Change my mind?

I use wizards for 'straight forward' putting.
I use a lid when trees are a factor.
I recently have been using smaller diameter mids for long putts (I can't jump putt).

I'm with you Mr. Crowder.

I guess I technically carry 2 putting putters. Challengers for 90% of putts, then switch to a breaker or zone for stronger headwind putts. I like a headwind putter to be shallower so I can be a little more aggressive and helps get the nose angle right in a headwind, imo.

I used to hate putters
Then I started playing my local pitch and putt with putters only
I grew to love them, both for throwing and putting
I used to bag 5 different putter molds because I could always justify a "need" for them all.
But I also started noticing on off days, I just couldn't find that one confidence putter.
I ended up saying to myself that this is just stupid and I picked one mold for putting and called it good.

Still love grabbing a stack of different putters and playing my local pitch and putt though!

I hope your daughter gets to feeling better.

I pretty much only use one putter for putting. But there have been times I'm just having a bad day with the Marshal, and I'll start putting with the Stud, just to shake things up.

Don't if know this counts for your discussion, but on very windy days I go to a more OS putter for putting, especially into the wind. The Gator or the Zone do well for me into strong winds.

in addition to their main putter i see people more commonly roll with an utility putter like a hella os putter or a soft one that hits and sticks if missed

or a certain putter for in the circle and one for outside of the circle

APX for putting and understable duties. Bangers for straight to stable. Zone for the beef. I couldn't imagine more than 3 putter molds in my bag.

I mean I've had up to four putter molds in the bag for approach shots at one time, and sometimes those long approach shots go in because even a blind squirrel stumbles over an acorn now and then. Whenever I'm at a distance where I have a reasonable expectation that I've got a legit shot at making the putt, I have one putter.

I think it was Ron Converse that said that he has 2 putting putters and the one he uses is based on how far he has to putt. I believe his explanation was something like "You use different discs for throwing different distances, so why wouldn't you do the same for different putting distances?"

I putt with an XT Stud 98% of the time. Occasionally I'll putt with a Medium Harp if there is a super-strong headwind or if I need to putt around an obstacle.

But once I played a 2-disc tournament on a windy day and used the Harp as my only putter. Messed up my regular putt for some time afterwards lol.

Hope your daughter is doing better. Puking kids are no fun for anyone.

I do the same, but both of mine are Wizards. One is fresher and heavier, it gets the majority of the Circle-1 putts. My other Wizard is older, lighter, and more beat. It flies straighter with more glide. So I use it for downwind putts, jump putts, and short upshots. Plus some days the main one isn't working well, and it's nice to change it up a little bit without doing anything too drastic.

I type this as I'm sitting on the couch with my 3-year old, who was running a 103 fever this morning. We've been trading off holding him upright to sleep so he doesn't cough himself into puking. So I feel your pain!

I had a buddy that used two putters of the same mold but one for inside the circle and one for outside. He wanted "every" putt to go in with his inside the circle putter so he didnt lose faith in it. The outside the circle was typically a putter that had been cycled as the main for a while. I personally need as much confidence on each putt as possible and IMO changing putters based on situations opens up too much guess work and doesn't exactly breed confidence.

For any normal situation I am putting with Hard Shields (normally carry two).
If I have to deal with lots of head/cross wind I pull out a Hard Harp.
That's all I've got bagged for putters.

I both putt and drive with Pures, just in different plastics. I always have 2 Zero hard for putting, and 2 Optos for driving or approaching. I don't have a specific Zero Hard for C1 and for C2 or anything like that. I just grab 'em and putt. But I always have 2 for practice or in case something happens.

But I have been known to putt a Zone into stiff headwinds, or a fuse on extremely long jump putts because of the glide. But I would say 99% of my putts over the course of a summer are with a Pure.

Definitely nothing wrong with having another putter for a specialty putt, but I do think that keeping your focus on a single putting putter mold helps with consistency.

Last edited:
I use a 175g P2 inside 35-40 ft and a 170g P2 for longer or uphill putts. The weight difference obviously isn't drastic, but this specific 170g disc does glide farther and straighter than my max weight putter. I used to mess around with a P1x for that but it just didn't feel right in my hand. If there is a strong enough headwind I'll use my Aviar3.

I use a 174 g Soft Proxy for inside 35-40 feet and then a 140 g Skeeter out to 100 feet with either a putt or jump pump. The light Skeeter has a nice straight glide that can usually get me within 10 feet of the basket from far out.

I'll use a floppy 3S wiz instead of my usual firm on putts that have big downhill roll potential. I'm not sure if it's objectively better but I feel more confident with it so same thing I guess.

I use a Jawbreaker Roach as my primary putter. I'll got to my 400G PA1 when I need to hyzer putt around something like a tree. I'll also putt with that PA1 if I'm in some serious wind.

My Berg is FH only & even though I might use it within putter distance out of necessity I don't feel like I'm actually putting with it.