• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] More Than One Putting Putter

Some people use a straighter, or more understable, or lighter putter for longer putts. I use that kind of putter (167g Electron Spin) for long AND short distance putts.

If I'm comfortable putting with it at 70 feet why change to a different putter when I'm only 25 feet from the basket?

I have 2.5 molds as the Titanic and Magnet not really different even the Titanic molds uphill/downhill putting I use a 166 Prostyle #2 Upshot. I also have a Shark in Star and Pro in my bag as an approach disc from about 37-40 Feet and out till the shot is 100-110 feet. Now I use the Titanic and Magnet for the same distance but the Jawbreaker Magnet is not great in temps past 93 F and jawbreaker is not that durable so for tight gaps I use a not made in this plastic for now Proline Titanic, all discs that are main putters are either nearly max weight or max weight. I might be rotating out a worn out getting floppy Jawbraker Magnet for a new on in main putting making the less floppy worn in of the two Jawbreaker Magnets my further putter and relegating the old Jawbreaker Magnet to uphill/downhill putter as my #2 Upshot is getting worn out almost. I can use the Jawbreaker Magnet for a downhill putter but uphill is a bit odd though with time I could get used to it.

Nice thing about the Mold (Shark) I use for approach shots is knowing the mold will be more OS the less I need to put power on the mold so I can use a Shark for Putting on windy days and for a driving putter slot as the mold will then fly how I would want a driving putter.

I know an Uncle that uses an APX for longer putts just before approach (at approch he uses same disc just not trying for the basket as much) over his Focus, the reason is the APX is like a US version of the Focus for him. I know a friend who uses Judge for his shorter putter and a Wizard for his longer putter at least the last time I talked to him The friend likes to aim for more the middle of the right side of basket, seeing how most baskets that is where the most chains are via the 2 sets crossing and by doing so on longer putts he needs a disc that turns more at that distance then most others.

I bag 4 putters but putt almost exclusively with a Judge. I'll break out the Envy if it's windy but it's primarily a thrower and my favorite one at that. Also bag a Pure and a Berg. Tried putting with my Berg a little in practice; not recommended.

Some people use a straighter, or more understable, or lighter putter for longer putts. I use that kind of putter (167g Electron Spin) for long AND short distance putts.

If I'm comfortable putting with it at 70 feet why change to a different putter when I'm only 25 feet from the basket?

For me I'm looking at it the other way around. I'm generally more comfortable with the heavier/overstable one from close range, and it gives the least variation in the wind. But at long range it's less reliable because it has such a strong finish. By using a lighter/straighter version for longer putts I can keep the same feel and generally the same motion from further away. Of course I could use that in the circle as well, but I'm slightly more confident with the other one.

2 DX Aviara for driving and putting and then a 400 PA3 for approach shots

I throw and putt Magics right now...so consider me in the one mold only camp.

I putt with a Medium or Hard Dagger as a main putter depending on the season. I also bag a thrower Dagger, typically Soft, that I intend to approach with. For longer go-fors, I'll spin or spush the thrower Dagger for LSS that kicks in later and better hit n stick.

Those are the same mold though.

For my game, I have found that I'd rather make the Dagger work on windy days for for longer putts than introduce a different molds intended specifically for putting. If the wind is howling, I'll spin my Rhyno in no problem, but it's not my intention to use different molds for different distances etc.

My philosophy is basically the same as Alexplz's above. However, I have struggled to find that one magical putter mold that can cover everything other than super OS stuff for me.

This year I putted with Crowns for pretty much everything, other than maybe a 20+ mph straight headwind at which point I'd consider putting with my Zone instead. I drove and approached with a lineup of Zone(s)/Envy/Proxy. Those discs worked great for driving, but I struggled in my approaches without a floaty easy-throwing putter in the bag.

For 2020 I'd like to try minimizing putter molds further. Zones are staying in the bag, but I've been trying out Judges as my do-everything-else putter mold and liking them so far. They are fantastic approach discs, solid putters, and OK drivers. I may end up putting an Envy or Crown back in the bag as a dedicated stable driving putter that bridges the gap between Zones and Judges. It's that constant battle of fewer molds that you know really well, vs more molds to cover every conceivable situation.

Nate Sexton does pretty well with a Dart from outside (circle 2?).

Roaches are already straight, and I don't have problems with them fading early from distance (my miss from far outside is them hitting low because of an unitentional anny angle), but if I putted a more OS putter, I might want a glidier one for long putts.

I putt primarily with 3-4 S Wizards. If it's a tricky green or the Wiz just isn't clicking, I'll use a JK AVR.

I bag the JK Pro mostly for upshots, especially touchy forehands. But I'm happy to throw actual putts with it.

For warm up and practice putting I throw both the Wiz and Aviar, just to get reps. They are near enough identical in hand feel and flight.

I can understand why people putt with different putters. I can't do it. What happens when you're at a certain distance/situation where you can't decide which putter to putt with? I don't every want to run into that situation. It would just add unneeded stress to my mental game. I try to follow KISS (keep it simple stupid) when it comes to my bag. If I'm attempting to make the putt in the circle or outside, I'm using the same putter. I want to know how my putter flies on different release angles from varying distances. In simple terms I'd rather just learn one putter, not multiple. You could say, I'm putter monogamous.

My philosophy is basically the same as Alexplz's above. However, I have struggled to find that one magical putter mold that can cover everything other than super OS stuff for me.

This year I putted with Crowns for pretty much everything, other than maybe a 20+ mph straight headwind at which point I'd consider putting with my Zone instead. I drove and approached with a lineup of Zone(s)/Envy/Proxy. Those discs worked great for driving, but I struggled in my approaches without a floaty easy-throwing putter in the bag.

For 2020 I'd like to try minimizing putter molds further. Zones are staying in the bag, but I've been trying out Judges as my do-everything-else putter mold and liking them so far. They are fantastic approach discs, solid putters, and OK drivers. I may end up putting an Envy or Crown back in the bag as a dedicated stable driving putter that bridges the gap between Zones and Judges. It's that constant battle of fewer molds that you know really well, vs more molds to cover every conceivable situation.

Biggest problem with consolidating putter molds using Judges as the main pillar is that it's tough to find an OS judge - Lucid was as stable as Fuzion was as stable as Classic was as stable as Prime. You could probably pay $25 or so for some Lucid-X or moonshine specialty judge and cross your fingers.

Here's how I see it - choose your main putter based on what will save you putting strokes overall period. Then put a backup of the same mold in the bag for throwing. Then build the rest of your putter lineup around those two.

For example: You say you putted Crowns, so start with your favorite Crown for putting only. Put a Medium or Soft Crown in the bag too for throwing. If you feel like you need something more neutral, a Proxy or Pure goes in too. Zone is a no-brainer, so do you need something in between your Crown and Zone? Bag an Envy or Jawbreaker Zone if you have a worn one. As your thrower Crown beats in, it might overtake the Proxy slot, but if not, no biggie. Yeah you have multiple molds to juggle, but you've based your lineup on what saves you putting strokes, not on this vague idea of mold minimalism.

EDIT: alternatively pick up a stack of Wizards, put your head down and just lean HARD into mold minimalism for the sake of minimalism.

Last edited:
in addition to their main putter i see people more commonly roll with an utility putter like a hella os putter or a soft one that hits and sticks if missed

or a certain putter for in the circle and one for outside of the circle

Pretty much this. Trying Profit instead of Wizards... but either way just putting putter and what I would normally choose.

Approach with BT soft Harp or Zero Medium Pure depending on downhill/uphill wind, finish left or right.
If there is something outside of norm I will use one of those two to putt. Headwind trees etc the Harp. Steep uphill or long circle 2 pure.

I'll have at least 4 putters in my bag at any given time.
Beat Zero Medium Pure- main putter and turnover with tailwind.
SP Breaker- upshots or throws into a headwind, but want a bit of glide.
RPro Pig- headwind, but just want to drop.
S line Tomb or Broken in SP breaker-No wind- L to R wind.
Sometimes a C line Tomb, a maiden, and Sinus. I know it would probably be easier if I limit myself to one mold, but it's more of a confidence thing with me and I do okay with them.
Hopefully your little one is okay.

I'm Split on the issue.. I putt Envy's all day long, usually have two or three in the bag, one or two plasma, one soft and one proton or eclipse. Everything 165 or 167g.. (Thanks Artemisclydfrog)

The 2 plasma is tourney time, one a touch more worn than it's friend. I alternate if I'm having issues but they're almost identical. It's more mental as in this one's not working today.

The soft and proton are usually for driving but sometimes the proton will come in to putt if I'm missing left (LHBH)

That being said there's always a Spin in my bag for approach duties and if I switch from baskets to tonal (we have 18 baskets and the original 9 heritage tonals) sometimes I use the Spin and add a touch of hyzer. Exact weight is the most important thing for me since I kind of lob/spin.

It's nice to have options but I got to my level of "awesome" with a stack of 12 plasma Envy all the same weight.

When using my putting motion...

95%+ JK Aviars.
<5% DX Aviar P&A (when straighter or right finish needed.)
<1% ESP Zone (I dislike playing in strong wind so this comes into play rarely for that or for a rare anny putt needing a strong finish.)

Throwing putters... don't get me started. :)

I mostly putt with an Ion exclusively but every now and then I'll use an Envy (my usual FH/hard thrower) when I just want to putt hard as hell. Once in a blue moon I'll jump putt with a Polecat.

Putting has almost nothing strictly to do with the putter. Putting is about confidence and rhythm and neither of those come from the disc, though a vulnerable mind can have its confidence shaken by disc variation. Confidence comes from practice and/or personal nature and rhythm comes from some ratio of practice/personal nature/formula.

There are situations wherein disc choice will increase the odds of making the putt. They aren't common, but knowing how to recognize and respond to them is fun. Example: A right-handed putter is 40' out with an obstacle 20' distant blocking the basket. The obstacle must be passed on the right. There is a 10' ceiling. The obstacle demands a putt with extreme lateral right-left travel. What do you do?

Biggest problem with consolidating putter molds using Judges as the main pillar is that it's tough to find an OS judge - Lucid was as stable as Fuzion was as stable as Classic was as stable as Prime. You could probably pay $25 or so for some Lucid-X or moonshine specialty judge and cross your fingers.

Here's how I see it - choose your main putter based on what will save you putting strokes overall period. Then put a backup of the same mold in the bag for throwing. Then build the rest of your putter lineup around those two.

For example: You say you putted Crowns, so start with your favorite Crown for putting only. Put a Medium or Soft Crown in the bag too for throwing. If you feel like you need something more neutral, a Proxy or Pure goes in too. Zone is a no-brainer, so do you need something in between your Crown and Zone? Bag an Envy or Jawbreaker Zone if you have a worn one. As your thrower Crown beats in, it might overtake the Proxy slot, but if not, no biggie. Yeah you have multiple molds to juggle, but you've based your lineup on what saves you putting strokes, not on this vague idea of mold minimalism.

EDIT: alternatively pick up a stack of Wizards, put your head down and just lean HARD into mold minimalism for the sake of minimalism.

My problem wasn't just a lack of minimalism this last year. I struggled a lot with touchy approach shots. Envy and Proxy do a lot of things really well, but IMO slow glidey approaches are not in their wheelhouse. While there is no perfect mold, I do think there are plenty of choices out there that can help a player's scramble % more than a Proxy. And I really, really, don't want to put a disc in the bag solely for approach shots...5 putter molds just seems like it would be way too much.

Judges have the benefit of feeling very close to Crowns while flying slower and less stable. Judges also come in my preferred warm weather putting plastic (Prime), while Crowns are not available in the Westside equivalent. They will be fine as putters once I get all the way used to them. I'm already seeing my approach game improve. The only potential "gap" I see is as a stable driving putter. If after the winter I'm still missing that slot in the bag, then I do have plenty of choices with which to fill it (Envy, Crown, maybe Lucid-X Judge). But for now my preference is to lean into fewer molds and see what all they can do.

I'm hoping that Zones and Judges are the answer for 2020. I'm also OK tossing in a gap-bridging mold if needed. Worst case scenario is I go back to my 2019 putter lineup and pucker every time I'm staring down a 150' touch line.