• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most difficult type of hole for YOU

Hole 4 on a local course gets me every time...

(pictures)

I have resorted to just throwing a series of controlled putter shots, playing for par every time. I have never been able to birdie this one.

Ooh that hole just begs an overhand. Firebird tomahawk over the top? Not really sure about the distance, but it looks feasible.

Holes >300ft that start in the open but about 100 ft in turn into a low ceiling shot. It messes with my head like crazy. Also water holes hovering around the 350ft mark because something in me prevents me from throwing full power on these types of holes and I always end up dunking one.

Ooh that hole just begs an overhand. Firebird tomahawk over the top? Not really sure about the distance, but it looks feasible.

Not a bad suggestion! I could see that working pretty well in the fall/winter. Right now it would probably be a bit of a crapshoot whether or not my thumber would make it through all that vegetation. Things get super-thick with thorn bushes and trees on both sides of the fairway. Could work, though...hmmmmm...

Noodle Arm, so the ones that get me the most are the really long open holes. Also, uphill shots get me.

Anything with a tight window right off the tee. I can usually hit gaps that are 200 feet away but I will nail a tree left or right if I have to hit a tight gap 20 feet off the tee. it is extra hard if it is a tight fairway all the way to the hole. I can never get comfortable and rarely have good shots in those situations, sailing high or spraying left and right.

Not a bad suggestion! I could see that working pretty well in the fall/winter. Right now it would probably be a bit of a crapshoot whether or not my thumber would make it through all that vegetation. Things get super-thick with thorn bushes and trees on both sides of the fairway. Could work, though...hmmmmm...

From the pictures, it looks like there's a reasonable distance between the "tree wall" and the basket. Guess that's why I thought of it. But yeah, could get messy! I'd love to get up there and play this one in person.

From personal experience, many holes that I use overhands have some kind of gap that I SHOULD be able to hit; but I'm just too inconsistent with my accuracy, so the overhand becomes the safer alternative.

Most difficult for me are the tight tunnel shots off the tee where the terrain is hilly. For example, theres a hole at a local course that plays straight down a fairway for about 75-100 feet. Its a narrow fairway, low ceiling. That portion of the fairway is a slight hill to the right. Then the hill drops off away from you, toward the open field. Seeing the gap, and the hills, really seems to throw me off and get in my head. I ALWAYS seem to clip branches or trees or griplock something horrible. Theres a hole like this at Flat Rock too. Its a short hole, maybe 250', but the fairway is all of maybe 10 feet wide, if that.

Tightly wooded fairway that requires a turn to the right very late in flight. There really isn't a good way to do it rhbh, and my forehand is trash.

From the pictures, it looks like there's a reasonable distance between the "tree wall" and the basket. Guess that's why I thought of it. But yeah, could get messy! I'd love to get up there and play this one in person.

From personal experience, many holes that I use overhands have some kind of gap that I SHOULD be able to hit; but I'm just too inconsistent with my accuracy, so the overhand becomes the safer alternative.

Yes, you are right. There is a decent little fairway past the "tree wall" before you get the the clearing with the basket. If you can get a thumber down into that fairway, you'd be in a good position. I will try it next time I am out there!

Shoot me a PM if you are ever in the DFW area. Happy to play a round or two if I am available!

For me, anything requiring much touch on a RHBH line is very troublesome. There are often holes that line up well for a RHBH flex or turnover shot, and everyone says "ThrowBot, this hole is perfect for your forehand!" Really, to hit those lines will a FH, I would have to severely hyzer-flip (or hyzer-flip-to-to-turn) which is fun to try but not a high success rate throw for me. So I try to make a smart golf decision and play safe with a BH mid or fairway driver...which is not even that much higher of a percentage shot for me :(

Long uphill shots with upward slanting teepads.
Downhill small island greens with the basket in the middle, AKA butt holes.
OB 5 feet to the right of the teepad and basket.

Hardest for me is the hole with the giant group of noobs who just tee'd off, oblivious to disc golf etiquette, who spend hours distracted by lost discs and texts, wandering from one side of the fairway to the other, never looking back at the tee, while I wait patiently to tee off.
I loose my concentration, also get distracted, check my phone, take a snap, then the next thing you know, I'm smacking a tree 8 feet off the tee on a 400' hole with my brand new gummy Destroyer. :doh:

Tight wooded holes <350ft where the fairway has an early tree and/or S-curve bend to it so that I have to anhyzer off the tee to miss a tree 30-50ft away but then get the disc to hold the line long enough to finish the S-curve before fading to finish in the fairway. I tend to put so much concentration in missing that first tree that once I get past it, my disc is rarely in the middle of the fairway.

Wooded S-shots that start out going left off the tee, but end fading right.

My approach is to go with a RHFH flex shot with something OS, but... dialing in the right amount of annie and oomph to hit the initial line, and flex back to the right at the correct point... :\ Let's just say I'm not at all consistent with that. :(

Tunnel fairways. I'd rather throw through close but irregular trees than a well defined straight tunnel of trees with no alternate routes. :gross:

I'm using this thread as a checklist of holes to include in my new design.

That WAS the purpose of it, right?

Latest posts