• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Iconic or Amazing Holes

Maybe not the highest pucker factor, but the one hole I remember over all others is hole 1 at Leaning Rock in Wyoming.

Bomb, Bomb, Bomb...No idea where you're going, but who cares? :)

3c13cb3c.jpg

Makes it damned tough to "commit to your shot."

i was under an hour away from this course and i didnt hit it up :thmbdown::wall:

Highly, highly recommended if you ever get back that way.

It's only about a 4.0 course. But the deep woods aesthetic is incredibly peaceful. There is better disc golf around, but Superior Pines is definitely one of my favorite courses.

Maybe not the highest pucker factor, but the one hole I remember over all others is hole 1 at Leaning Rock in Wyoming.

Bomb, Bomb, Bomb...No idea where you're going, but who cares? :)

3c13cb3c.jpg

The perspective/my perception on this pic really threw me off. I thought that the carpeted tee area was actually the fairway, way far away. Seemed strange that it was this giant perfect rectangle. Then I saw the tee sign and was like... ok, that makes more sense.

The perspective/my perception on this pic really threw me off. I thought that the carpeted tee area was actually the fairway, way far away. Seemed strange that it was this giant perfect rectangle. Then I saw the tee sign and was like... ok, that makes more sense.

That's not a tee sign, it's a billboard.

😉

Haven't played a hole that I felt was iconic in my time around STL (even the great holes all over Harmony Bends fall juuuust short of iconic for me), but my contribution is that I get a lot of joy out of holes whose intended disc flights are gorgeous. One local example:

#3 Endicott. Throw a downhill hyzer rocket through the little valley with something understable, and pray it stands up, bends just a little, and pushes straight to the green. Visually stunning disc flight for a properly-executed shot. Despite it being a rather plain, small park, quite a few holes at Endicott are like this; the good shots look beautiful through the air. One mark of good design.

Thanks for the photo of #1 at Leaning Rock. That was the first hole i thought of when i saw this post. Add the Wyoming wind, and it can be impossible to know where your disc is going!

Highly, highly recommended if you ever get back that way.

It's only about a 4.0 course. But the deep woods aesthetic is incredibly peaceful. There is better disc golf around, but Superior Pines is definitely one of my favorite courses.

100%

This is the ultimate 'get lost in your game' course.

The bench on the long walk along the river is such an unexpected amazing touch.

love love this course.

Diamond-X - not the most difficult course you will ever play, but the pucker factor is there and the view was amazing.

I have the course sprinkled within my 2021 highlight video with the hole you have pictured at the 10:35 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyl6CeB_pCI

1bee24ad.jpg

This view at Diamond X was pretty amazing. (The hole plays up the hill and this is looking back from beyond the basket.)

avoiding work (again), decided to compile an all washington 18 from my played list. not sure i would classify all these as iconic, but memorable to me. some courses/holes didn't make the list for lack of pics here (or lack of memory); guess i need to revisit some courses & take pics

front 9:
rainshadow 1 - what better way to start than a great view throwing downhill with drop-away danger on both sides. (i took an even better pic when i was there)
4f204f28.jpg

fredricksen 2 - (pick any hole, all pretty similar) tight woods on every hole.
a827b1b5.jpg

stevens pass 3 - just 1 of many giant downhill throws
227da63c.jpg

columbia 4 - (fake) island hole with an elevated basket.
8c0a6810.jpg

james lawless 5 - open & uphill with a spinner to choose the pad (left/right)
5d73ef59.jpg

bud pell 6 thowing over water = fun (especially when you park it).
009c9916_m.jpg

roche harbor 7 - the trees are dressed up on this one
997ae626.jpg

sunnyside 8 - one of many sloped fairways/greens here
ac90aebe.jpg

gaffeneys (9)-any hole (all pretty similar) more open than fredricksen, western wa woods course

back 9:
tri-plex 10 - basket near ledge, ob golf green before basket, & uphill
5f03796c.jpg

nad (11)-any hole like gaffenys but has more elevation

lucky mud 12 - tight line on this one, but any hole on this course is great. seclusion & ferns.
dc481815.jpg

north bonneville 13 - basket is elevated in a downed tree. pic here is outdated tho ;(

hanson ponds 14 - tee next to the river (pretty) & the only par 4. i've only played twice and need more to figure out how to attack this hole
fa752b9f.jpg

river ridge 15 -
4787ffb6.jpg

sekani 16 & 17
1ef0c0ed.jpg

shelton springs 18 -
456f70c5.jpg

bonus hole 21 at two rivers - 1020ft & water danger everywhere.
53961531_m.jpg

I am really enjoying reading all these posts

Especially enjoyed Chevis who gave an 18 hole rundown with a bonus. Very cool!

These are getting me enthused to go see more courses!

There should be a special category for amazing holes, that are neither big downhill throws, nor water carries.

There should be a special category for amazing holes, that are neither big downhill throws, nor water carries.
do you have example?
#9 at diamond x (Originally Posted by WD09) is uphill & would fit your description.

i'm trying to think of an amazing hole w/o elevation or water... maybe one of those tight tunnels like the one at brp.

do you have example?
#9 at diamond x (Originally Posted by WD09) is uphill & would fit your description.

i'm trying to think of an amazing hole w/o elevation or water... maybe one of those tight tunnels like the one at brp.

Might have one or two here at Stoney Hill, but I'm biased.

The original Gran Canyon course (Brooksville, FL, where they play Throw Down the Mountain) had some awesome cross-canyon shots that were level, with a deep canyon to carry. Flyboy's hole with the basket on the fallen, driftwood-looking log would be one.

I could probably think of more. But when I try to think of amazing and iconic holes, top-of-the-world shots and open water are the first that come to mind, so it takes more effort to think beyond those, of the great holes that are neither.