• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Embarrassing Disc Golf Story

You realize that a simple video of this might make you a good chunk of money......:popcorn:

In States last year on a par 4. Pretty proud of my drive since it got closer to some cross-country sign than I've ever been before. I'm about 10' from the sign, and it's a tad to my left. Pull disc and go through my routine. Throw....BAM! Pretty sure one guy fell down laughing.

That's totally how it goes for me too. One good shot followed by a "what the *&*(*&!" :wall:

My first experience with cars and disc golf, I had only been playing about a year. I was at a course with several holes that skirt the side of a road. The one I was on went uphill, then downhill to the basket, about 600'. At the time, 250' was an amazing throw for me. So, after my drive hit a pole 40' in front of me, I get up to make my approach from the top of the hill. I got a beautiful rip off, and it soared right just into the road. I was fully expecting it to fade back around toward the pin (albeit 200' short), when a big SUV comes out of nowhere, travelling the same direction as my disc. My disc got caught in the tailwind of the car and went all 600' down the road until the car finally pulled away and my disc came skidding to a stop perpendicular to the basket in the street. (still 100' away) It wasn't exactly embarrassing, since I threw 600', so now I can tell everyone that I throw 600' from a flat throw.

My second experience with cars was my buddy's throw, and a much better story. He had a Nuke that we'd fished out of a pond about a month before. This was another hole that skirted a road, maybe 400' long. It was a bit windy and the Nuke was a bit less stable than he expected, and so he pulled it too far right, just as a mini van was coming into view up the hill he was throwing down. The disc sailed straight at it and we thought it was going to hit the windshield when it finally lost steam and skipped off the road. Right into the hood of the van, where it stuck, between the grill and the hood. The driver of the van didn't even slow down. We stood there in shock as we watched his drive come back up the hill and drive out of sight. That was definitely the longest throw he ever made, though it was in the opposite direction and we have no clue where it finally stopped.

I got poison ivy on my junk while playing disc golf. I took a peepee and evidently I had some poison ivy on my hands. Ouch! I had to get two steroid shots. One in each butt cheek. Even had to show my ex-wife the note from the doctor to prove it wasn't an STD. Lmao.

Holy crap, this almost exact thing happened to me, but it was in the Army and not DGing. Except, rather than a note from the doctor, I had to go get 'rodded off the range' if you know what I'm saying, for my gf at the time to believe it. (If you've had the pleasure, you'll never look at a q-tip the same again.)

one time at disc golf camp = ) we had a putting clinic and we were practicing the feldberg explanation of how to do a Barry Shultz putt, you get behind the disc and you hump...like air humping and then you release the disc towards the basket and during that clinic my boss happen to walk by and I looked like a total fool...and my boss thinks disc golf is a joke and that didn't help

Last edited:
Birdie

My first time playing a course and I am supposed to meet some guys there. I get there early and decide to get in 9. I finish the front 9 and the other guys have started to show up - most of them had played the course before. We get to the second tee and one guy says "My goal is to par this hole some day." Almost immediately I respond "I birdied it this morning." (I really should think before I speak.) Dead silence for about 5 seconds and then he says "Okay, you tee off and show us how it's done." There is a tree line between the fairway and the basket and I wind up and throw almost the exact same throw I did first time - it passes between the trees and lands about 15 feet from the basket. I turn around proudly and the guys say "You realize that's the basket for 16 right?" The basket for #2 was about another 250 feet up the hill nestled in the woods (and not on the other side of the treeline). Whoops.:doh:

I am a strict RHFH throwing who has a good any line and keep a disc left. But undecided RHBH would also be a good trick to have in the bag. We are playing a few holes before a tourney and I decide to try out this backhand of hand. Xstep and form are great.. I grip lock so hard a drive it backwards! My buddy has to jump over the disc as it smacks the rock wall behind him. We all laughter hysterically for 2-3 min. I re tee... Xstep and form are on key.. I grip lock and throw it backwards again.. At the same buddy.. I gave up backhand for the rest of the weekend

A few months ago I was playing Sweet Arrow Lake. The signature hole is hole 16 - 400+ feet plays from the top of a dam with a huge lake on the right and basket on the downslope of the dam to the left. I was behind a group of 6 new players and I proceeded to watch 3 of them shank their drives into the lake. By the time I caught up to them they were all just lining the bank staring into the water. I give an inner chuckle and tell myself I'm gonna show em how it's done! I step up and let it rip, my foot slips off the end of the tee and the drive goes waaaaay right. Everyone's head turns and follows the disc as it soars way, way out into the middle of the lake - it actually splashed some people that were kayaking! I just hung my head in shame, and walked past em straight to my car.

I've been playing disc golf for almost three years, and up until last week, I had been proud to say I had only ever permanently lost one disc. So I go with my friend to play a course we'd never been to. I lose one of my backup putters on hole 2, he loses one of his drivers on hole 7, and we get to hole 9, which is about 150 feet across a pond and toward the pin. I think "no problem" and proceed to turn over a forehand right into the pond, about 15 feet from the shore. I get over there and think, "If I can throw a stick behind it, it'll make a wave and push it toward me." The throw looked good.... until it hit the disc (which was floating) and pushed it down out of sight. My friend replied "You really f'd up", as I stared in disbelief, gathered my discs, and left without playing the back nine.

My first time playing a course and I am supposed to meet some guys there. I get there early and decide to get in 9. I finish the front 9 and the other guys have started to show up - most of them had played the course before. We get to the second tee and one guy says "My goal is to par this hole some day." Almost immediately I respond "I birdied it this morning." (I really should think before I speak.) Dead silence for about 5 seconds and then he says "Okay, you tee off and show us how it's done." There is a tree line between the fairway and the basket and I wind up and throw almost the exact same throw I did first time - it passes between the trees and lands about 15 feet from the basket. I turn around proudly and the guys say "You realize that's the basket for 16 right?" The basket for #2 was about another 250 feet up the hill nestled in the woods (and not on the other side of the treeline). Whoops.:doh:

That's pretty bad right there, how did the rest of the round go?

I was playing a short hole (#3 at Peaks View Park in Virginia) and turned over my drive ... right into the back of a parks department pickup truck. Which then pulled away.

Thankfully, one of the guys working there saw me walking toward the truck and figured out what may have happened, so he stopped the guy driving the truck and tossed me my putter. I walked back to the tee and pretended that drive never even happened.

I've been playing disc golf for almost three years, and up until last week, I had been proud to say I had only ever permanently lost one disc. So I go with my friend to play a course we'd never been to. I lose one of my backup putters on hole 2, he loses one of his drivers on hole 7, and we get to hole 9, which is about 150 feet across a pond and toward the pin. I think "no problem" and proceed to turn over a forehand right into the pond, about 15 feet from the shore. I get over there and think, "If I can throw a stick behind it, it'll make a wave and push it toward me." The throw looked good.... until it hit the disc (which was floating) and pushed it down out of sight. My friend replied "You really f'd up", as I stared in disbelief, gathered my discs, and left without playing the back nine.

This is great. I've laughed more at this than most others. It's just the nonchalant "you really f'd up" that gets me. My buddies would have had to get some oxygen tanks before they could get off the ground from laughing so hard.

in the dead cold of winter I was playing Buzzy's creek in North Jersey....middle of nowhere along a lake...it's like 10 degrees out and I drank a bunch of coffee before the round....so after the front 9 I have to sh1t...I mean coffee sh!t like alien is inside of me and pushing to get out so I look around and no bathrooms...so I decide to hit the woods and I rush in there with my back to the lake and survey the park...not a soul, it's about 10 degrees out duh....so I lean up against a tree and bend over and blast the missiles......it was a particularly nasty oozey one and I realize I need TP....I turn back to grab some leaves from the ground and then I see him....a little old man about 10 feet away standing on the freaking ice staring at me laughing...WTF New Jersey...apparently the frozen lake is a short cut in cold weather months and I see a few groups of people all walking across the ice staring and laughing

Moral of the story...always check 360 before you drop and plop even if theres a huge lake behind you

Worst moment: Standing in line to use the men's restroom with 20 minutes to go before the 2nd round was to begin, I decided to use the women's bathroom instead. The rented lunch was about to expire and I couldn't wait any longer. I took a quick look around and saw the entire women's field (5 of them) all standing by their car about 200' away. Thought about it, then with 18 mintues to go, I took another peak at the women and they were still at their car so I ran into the women's bathroom. 1 minute later, all of them come walking up to the door and I hear someone say " there is a dude in there"" If I could have flushed myself down the toilet at that moment, I would have. I had a sour stomach and had just peeled the paint off the inside walls and I knew I had to walk right past all of them on my way out.

haha awww awwww

I was at a friends one day by a course. I was wearing flip flops which I never throw in ever. Looked in my car an voila an old pair of high top Adidas bball shoes. Never wore them for dg before. Get to the course, go to the first hole, do my run up and my plant foot slides out from under me and I face plant right now. Everyone is laughing, no idea where the disc went, scraped up my face a bit. So we start looking for my disc. It is literally ten feet from the basket. And I miss my putt. I was really on my game that day. ��

I was at The Valley course in Inver Grove Heights, MN taking photo's during the World Am tounament. I was at the 12th hole which is elevated. I was setting up to shoot some pic's of a group that just finished the 11th hole. There was a player who was all decked outin his fancy shirt and light blue shorts. He was very sharp except that he must have been sharting or was have some gastro distress because the back of his shorts had a very noticable BROWN stripe running down the center of his shorts. I was going to take a photo but thought otherwise to let it go. I just chuckled to myself and wondered how many more holes he had to play.

2012 Barnett Park Championships in Orlando. One of my local courses and that year was my first time playing MA1 in the tourney there. I play there often and play it well. I was playing decent at this tourney, sitting at -1 from long pads likely in the lead on my card with 5 holes left until on north course we came upon the infamous hole 18 island shot.

Now mind you, I am not intimidated by this hole. I play it often. I know what you have to do to make it across. For a lefty like myself, I would throw a hyzer out over the water to the left of the island and let it crash into the top of the trees on the island and it usually falls on the ground and sticks within decent range of the basket. Even if it rolls toward the water, chances are it will stick. The worst thing I expect to walk away with is a circle 4.. maybe.

So I throw the hyzer bomb and out of nowhere a gust of wind just picks up and lifts my disc way higher and way off to the right and into the lake. Ok.. Can't let it get to me.. It happened to half my card.. I'm still doing fine. I walk to the short pad for a much easier "drop zone" re-tee. This time the wind is relentless. It was as calm as can be for everyone else on my card but for some reason it was out to get me. From the short tee I throw my roc right at the island. It comes in a little short, hits the grass on the island and literally bounces backwards right into the drink within an inch from sticking out of the water. *sigh Must have hit a root or something as it should have skipped UP onto the grass, not backwards into the water. oh well.. time to walk to the shameful "kiddy drop zone" that is pin high.

Now I'm annoyed but have a ridiculously easy 60/70 foot shot to the basket and only about 40 feet of water carry. No problem.. Let me just layup my aviar under the basket and move on right?. Release the disc.. didn't get good rotation, it wobbled, wind gust came out of nowhere again and lifts it and carries it way over to the right and into the water behind the basket. DOH!

So now here I am, putting for 7, not even on the island yet. Pull out another putter and try again.. Damn it if I did'n't do the same thing AGAIN.. This time I hear the chuckles from the gallery of backed up cards on hole 1 and hole 18's tee. Now the wind is ridiculous.. the water fountain in the middle of the lake is misting me from a few hundred feet away and I'm pissed off. I take my most stable putter and toss it lazily toward the basket almost with no regard or aim.. it hits the basket, falls beneath it and stands up and begins to roll.. and it rolls.. wobbles.. almost falls.. catches a slight edge off a small bare spot in the grass and stands up rolling faster all the way down and into the drink again! The gallery (who are all like :popcorn: at this point) lets out a big embarrassing sigh.

I nearly threw my entire bag in the water at this point. I was boiling mad.. I had just thrown a decent driver, my most stable roc and 3 of the 4 putters I carried at the time into the drink. All my buddies were chuckling but trying not to make eye contact with me. I had never experience such a meltdown.. Played the hole hundreds of times over and over again for 5 years before the day of that tourney and NEVER had I thrown more than maybe 1 or 2 discs in the water on occasion and taken a 4 or 5. Nothing could have prepared me for the b!tch slap that hole gave me that day.

5 wet discs later and I finish the hole with a 5-circle 12. Only some rec lady beat me with a 13 for the worst score on that hole for the tourney. I went from -1 to +8 in a blink of an eye and ended up shooting a 823 rated round (I was like a 920 rated player at the time playing like 940).

The real kicker.. We walk to hole 1 teepad and wait for our card to be able to tee and the wind just stops dead. The entire MA1 card behind us makes it on the island with ease, half of them birdie the hole. We tee off on hole 1 and never a single gust a wind for the rest of the round. The wind was just there to help me card a 12, then it went away. Unbelievable.

The next day we play north course again.. Naturally, I park it under the basket, write my name on the CTP flag for the tap-in birdie and the CTP holds. :doh:

Last edited:
That is terrible. I've seen a local pro in San Angelo card a circle 11 on a sub 300 ft hole but nothing as bad as what you are saying. He just wanted to retee to many times. It made my par feel good though.

I watched as my disc went 400 ft the wrong way down a mountain. Worst part is that it was captured on film. The card throws the hole at 7:40, I'm the fifth to throw.