• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most hated plant in your area for disc golf?

I don't know if it is the most hated (yet), but wild parsnip has become an issue for at least one local course, and it is spreading like crazy around the area. It has become really bad along some of the highways where mowing frequency has been cut or eliminated.

I'm surprised no one else mentioned this. It mainly shows up during times of drought but this stuff is NASTY. From my understanding when this stuff gets on your skin and then has exposure to UV, it turns into some type of acid.
wild-parsnip.jpg

"Once the furocoumarins are absorbed by the skin, they are energized by uv light on both sunny and cloudy days. They then bind to DNA and cell membranes, destroying cells and skin. Parsnip burns usually occur in streaks and elongated spots, reflecting where a damaged leaf or stem moved across the skin before exposure to sunlight."
http://fyi.uwex.edu/weedsci/2001/07/04/wild-parsnip-3/

It can lead to some SERIOUS burns. I'm not going to post the pictures but those of you with a strong enough stomach can follow this link.
https://www.google.com/search?q=poison+parsnip+burns&num=100&safe=off&tbm=isch

Everyone is technically 'allergic' to Poison Ivy.. it's just a question of how much your body will react to it. The allergy is progressive, too.. so even if you don't currently have any noticeable reaction to it, with repeated exposure eventually you will start having a reaction to it. :p So don't go rolling in it. ;)

Also, I agree with nettles. They hurt.

Also you can go from being sensitive to it to not (and vice versa). I grew up around poison ivy and would get it. Then over time I stopped getting the rash but then one day got cocky and did roll in it and got it bad. Then over another period of time into being an adult I lost sensitivity to it and poison oak again.

Out west I worked in poison oak and played disc golf in it and never got it although I remained careful to avoid it when possible due to my childhood lesson. Just to prove a point though I would rub a leaf on my arm each year and sure enough no rash. Now moving back east when I've been down in CT and been in poison ivy I still don't get that either. It's a blessing to lose sensitivity to it although I'll reiterate; stay almost superstitious about avoiding it when possible to not push your luck.

One of the common misconceptions about poison oak is that light contact, brushing against the leaves, will cause a rash. Breaking leaves or branches will get the sap on you and it transferrs. It's far worse.
I'll take any thorns, bugs, or what have you, over a rash that just wont go away for 2 to 3 weeks.
I thought I was immune until I was 32. Then I got a crazy case of the hated oak.
After 6 weeks of it spreading from spot to spot on all limbs, it turned into a staph infection. No fun. Show me any thorns that do that.
On the other hand, I have SEEN a hunded twenty foot plus Eucalyptus fall, at my home course. That was knarly. Good thing no one was in the area at the time. It turned into many retaining walls and parking barriers.

Eff parsnip! I googled it and man thats intense! Idk if I have seen it in missouri.

Tie between cedar trees and bullnettle. Cedar trees because they eat discs and are near impossible to throw out of, and bullnettle because, well, its just a nasty hated set-fire-to-your-legs plant.

Honey-Locust-tree3.jpg

The Honey Locust tree is native to eastern North America, and can be seen from southern South Dakota to New Orleans and central Texas. A truly fascinating tree, the Honey Locust features 3-4 inch long thorns that can cause serious lacerations, if you're not careful. They grow on the trunk and lower branches, which probably means they evolved as a defense mechanism against animals that fed on its bark.

The thorns of the Honey Locust are often to blame for foot injuries, as they tend to go right through soft sole shoes and into the foot. Also, if you drive past one of these trees, you have the chance of getting flat tires very often. Some even claim to have seen large birds impaled by the thorns of a Honey Locust tree.
-- quoted from the site I linked the picture from.

Foot injuries and thorns through the flight plate or into the wing of my discs are the most common issues I have with it.

I'm not allergic to poison ivy.

We've got a few of them here. We've beaten back most of them on our course, you really have to go waay into the rough to find those things now. The landowner has no issues at all with us obliterating each and every one of them

Im originally from indiana and poison ivy, oak, sumac were by far the very worst. The thorn vines sucked but were nuthing compared to "the ivy". Im in the desert now and the only thing i care about is dehydration and rattlesnakes, the cactus and thorny sh@t is way better than "the ivy" and those f@ckin ninja vampires (ticks).

Common misconception about poison ivy, oak, sumac is that it spreads or u can spread it from one spot to another...when in fact, its just a matter of diff areas of the skin are more sensitive and will react at diff times. If u had it in one spot and then u seen it in another spot the next day, u had it there and it just took longer to react.

Poison Ivy. I can't believe some people aren't allergic to it. That boggles my feeble little brain.

Honorable Mention: Stinging nettles

*just saw the post above me

Almost anywhere u run into nettles, there os a remedy extremely close. Dame with poison ivy, Its calles jewelweed. For nettle irritation u can simply flip a leaf over pour a little water on it and rub it on the affected área. Instant relief. You're welcome LOL. Google it for the ivy not sure exactly what has to be done for it, and Im on my phone so to lazy to post a Link.

i think that works for dock plant. not sure it works for all the stinging plants we have tall ones out east and those i think you need vinegar and to remove the stingers....

i'm not sure but be sure you have the correct plant if you are rubbing it on yourself.

Pretty epic Stinging Nettles on Toronto Island

That's the first place I ever ran into them, they suck, I had to ask some locals why my hand felt like it was on fire, they were quick to point out the plant so I avoided further discomfort.

Latest posts