• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

keep disc golf underground?

Labelkills

Birdie Member
this is my story about disc golf becoming popular. a little background first. my in my area there there are about 8. 4 star or higher rated courses within 1 about 1 hour from me. South mountain just got bumped to a 3.5 after concrete tees went in a month or so ago. point being that this course isnt normally all that busy on a beautiful sunday afternoon. let alone a monday. also bethlehem is a college town and some of the closest homes to the course are frats. Yesterday; monday, october 12, 2010 about 5 o clock my golfin buddy and i went to our home course. South Mountain DGC in bethlehem PA. we pull into the parking lot and it is almost completely full. (i figure its probably mostly mountain bikers) we park and get ready to play. start shooting some practice putts. and my buddy says lets get started before this group of three (obviously college kids and newer players) starts and slows us down. sounds like a good idea. before we can even ask they offer to let us go first. sweet. at hole 2 a single person comes up behind us. he is incredibly sweaty so we make a joke about him being tired after one hole. he tells us that he was mountain biking and playing a few holes afterward to cool off. he has a brand new innova beginner pack. we let him play through. he is moving slowly but not noteably so. Hole 4 the biker has played through a group of 2 seemingly college age golfers that are casually rambling around in the rough throwing there discs all over the place. we are behind them until hole 7. (and on every hole we are sitting on the tee waiting by the time they find their drives.
hole 7 some familiar faces come up behind us. a fast moving group of 2 locals/regulars. we encourage them to play through and try to pass the next group to kinda get things moving. They play through us and the group ahead of us. we finish hole 7. and we see IT, a group of 5 college freshmen yelling and goofing around on hole 8. each weilding 1 disc and all of them throwing thumbers wildly and unpredictably all over the place. The must have skipped some holes because we did not see them again until 17. things go relatively slowly but smoothly till 14. one or 2 ppl pass us between 8 and 14. we finish 13 and are walking to 14 and...woosh! a disc misses my buds head by inches. some words pass, but nothing mean from either party but everybody is stressed. the only words i can remember them saying was "whatever" things go slow but ok till 17 where the group of 5 is looking for a disc or doing aerobics, god only knows, but they stop everything for a few more minutes till i yell fore. they give up on what they are doing and go up to 18. we finish 17 and go up to 18. the group of 5 is sitting down they tell us we can go ahead. i laughed at them and pointed out that its the last hole and its already dark so who cares. There are alot of people out there that i dont want to see out on the course. Mabye there is reason to keep disc golf underground.

Same as if you went to a basketball court to run some full court and there were 30 duffus's playing 21 or when the tennis courts are full of people constantly whiffing. OR especially when dudes decide to bring their wives ball golfing. Guess you just learn to put up with it. Disc golf is great in that you can actually build your own course somewhere. Much harder to do this with other sports..because of costs and because most of those are difficult to enjoy alone.

I know when I was a college age disc golfer I played with the older golfers and picked up some tips. You might use it as an opportunity to show the newbie the finer points of DG.

This has even worse grammar than the mainstreaming thread. Punctuation and sentence structure are not suggestions people. Commas are where you naturally take a breath, as I just demonstrated.

As well, this story has nothing to do with keeping DG "underground".

I always love how quick people are to slam new players but make no effort to include or educate them to etiquette and rules.

stoner.png

its totally not fair that they are on my course, bro

oh no, one single round of disc golf out of the hundreds you play a year got slowed down by other people? say it ain't so! some people have to deal with this on a daily basis, and if you thought you were the first one to make a big whiny thread about people slowing you down at the course, i have a surprise for you: you're not

Yeah if it stayed underground we would stop having all these 16-20 year olds picking up the sport and whupping up on all us within a year or two, it would suck to see the sport grow like that. I still have 16 years before I can play masters to get away from these kids.

I played by myself yesterday and was behind a dad and his 2 kids. To make it easier on myself I skipped hole 7 and within 2 holes I had a 3 hole lead on them.

I played by myself yesterday and was behind a dad and his 2 kids. To make it easier on myself I skipped hole 7 and within 2 holes I had a 3 hole lead on them.

i never mind waiting on a father and his kids bc when my boy gets a little older, im gonna be that guy lol :thmbup:

I think they were the Skyzer family. I always let folks play through when our daughter is playing because I know she is slow.

i love seeing kids playing cause you know they are gonna be good by the time they are in high school/college. i wish i had picked up this game a lot sooner than i did

:thmbup:
the group i play with know the local courses well enough that we can just skip some holes and come back to them with losing any rhythm ..... if people wont let u play through it gives you a chance to change up some courses.

Oh yeah, there are some boys around here who would whoop me and Christy's first tournament was against Gabriella Grey, who won worlds in 2009 and held the under 10 girls world record distance of 275'.

It was quite an experience to have an 11yo girl whoop up on you...heck, she beat me by a stroke in the final round!

This is a reason to play foursomes, not to keep it secret. Golf courses don't just let any 2 people set off, and it's because of junk like this. If you knew the 2 local guys, you should have rolled with them.

I was on the course he is speaking of South mt. South usually moves very smoothly. The local club puts in a lot of work and time keeping it in nice shape. On saturday, a group of college kids most likely the ones he is speaking of, took a break from dragging their cooler around in their group of fourteen, to take the time to carry huge rocks up the hill to smash one of the benches. When we asked what they where doing in the appropriate manner, after skipping two holes because they would not let use play through, they just stared at us like crack heads ,rich kids suck.

I was on the course he is speaking of South mt. South usually moves very smoothly. The local club puts in a lot of work and time keeping it in nice shape. On saturday, a group of college kids most likely the ones he is speaking of, took a break from dragging their cooler around in their group of fourteen, to take the time to carry huge rocks up the hill to smash one of the benches. When we asked what they where doing in the appropriate manner, after skipping two holes because they would not let use play through, they just stared at us like crack heads ,rich kids suck.

I might have called the cops on them, if I caught them in the act. Seriously not cool.