• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

keep disc golf underground?

10 years ago I don't remember there being etiquette and all that jazz. It was something we did to get away from the etiquette filled sport of ball golf. You could get into it for $13 bucks as opposed to another sport that might cost $150 to get started.

I quit when the sport was gaining popularity (around 2000) and growing while the number of courses were staying the same. It seemed like it was fun to go out and drink a six pack while playing a round with friends and get away from life one day and the next we were overun by people hauling their carts around with 30+ discs in a bag with a towel. I remember we were actually saying "who the F is this clown?" We'd sit there and watch him unload his entire bag and really didn't see that he could do anything we couldn't do with a single Cyclone.

Now it seems like the courses are growing at an even rate with the players that are getting introduced to the sport and people are spreading out and it's fun again.

you guys are starting to remind me of why i quit playing paintball

I had to laugh at that because I had to quit too but it was because I moved to a place that had no woods players, and no fields either for that matter. I just got my gun out last month and I never even bothered to clean it from 2004 when I was at the Tippmann World Challenge. It still works but what a mess.

It puzzles me why any of you think you can make any difference in... if this sport stays underground or goes mainstream........might as well sit back and enjoy the ride cause we are all going to have to deal with idiots (this is America and they allow Canadians into the country....burn), we are all going to have to deal with litter, and we all are not going to agree with every players etiqutte.....the ball is rolling, and unfortunately there is no steering wheel.......unless you own innova or discraft, or have the inititve of billnchristy, typing on a forum is not going to do squat

It puzzles me why any of you think you can make any difference in... if this sport stays underground or goes mainstream........might as well sit back and enjoy the ride cause we are all going to have to deal with idiots (this is America and they allow Canadians into the country....burn), we are all going to have to deal with litter, and we all are not going to agree with every players etiqutte.....the ball is rolling, and unfortunately there is no steering wheel.......unless you own innova or discraft, or have the inititve of billnchristy, typing on a forum is not going to do squat

I especially hate the people that I lend an 11x teebird to and then it ends up disappearing. I agree mainstream or underground the sport will always be impacted by idiots... burn

Something that I think needs to be mentioned is that I don't think all of us could agree on what exactly the undesirable elements of our sport are. Some of these elements have been long woven into the game's culture. Some are more recent developments. Some perhaps yet are still on the horizon.

this is my story about disc golf becoming popular. a little background first. my in my area there there are about 8. 4 star or higher rated courses within 1 about 1 hour from me. South mountain just got bumped to a 3.5 after concrete tees went in a month or so ago.

A couple random thoughts,

since there are 8 other 4 star courses nearby why not go play one of them or are they all overrun too?

do you really think you'd have 8 other courses to choose from if the game wasn't so popular?

Possible solution, find the local course that could most benefit from improvements (new baskets, tees, landscaping) and pitch pay-to-play to the management, with the understanding that at least some of the $ be used to fund the improvements. Tends to keep the riff-raff out but may not make you very popular with some of the locals.

Something that I think needs to be mentioned is that I don't think all of us could agree on what exactly the undesirable elements of our sport are. Some of these elements have been long woven into the game's culture. Some are more recent developments. Some perhaps yet are still on the horizon.

Agreed. For us dads trying to spend time with our kids in a public park, the partying is a problem. For the college kids, us slow people that are in the way are a problem. For the pros, my kids and you college kids being loud on the course while they are trying to focus on that putt is a problem.

The point I made earlier was valid as well. It's really annoying being in a group of 4 or 5 and constantly letting singles or two-somes play through. On golf courses that are busy, it makes more sense to pair off into groups even if you don't know the people. Plus you might even make a new friend along the way. At some point along the way, the large group gets tired of waiting on you all playing through too. Then we get to hear all the whining posts from the "they didn't let me play through" guy.

If you are one of the ones complaining about the sport becoming more popular then you are a hypocrite. Everyone was a new player at one time, you once sucked and threw the disc 50 feet high and 25 feet down fairway and took everyone's time.

"oh oh oh, but I didn't...I was SUPER RESPECTFUL and I'M DIFFERENT"

Bullsh*t.

I hate being behind a slow group as much as the next guy, but I've never once thought "I wish people didn't know about this sport so only I could play it." How selfish can you be? Especially given that nobody here that complains about this was a founding father of the game. You selfish hypocrites want to take someone else's creation and have it all to yourselves? You're as bad as the people that you complain about on an internet forum.

Bottom line: grow a pair and act like a man, not a 5-year old.

[/rant]

Everyone was a new player at one time, you once sucked and threw the disc 50 feet high and 25 feet down fairway and took everyone's time.

I'd believe a vast number of players but not everyone. I'm sure that there are many ultimate players out there who as they got older went into disc golf and already had the skills to throw golf discs, maybe not with touch or accuracy.

Sasquatch has already played, once we get Mothman involved this sh.t will go nuclear.

I was on the course he is speaking of South mt. South usually moves very smoothly. The local club puts in a lot of work and time keeping it in nice shape. On saturday, a group of college kids most likely the ones he is speaking of, took a break from dragging their cooler around in their group of fourteen, to take the time to carry huge rocks up the hill to smash one of the benches. When we asked what they where doing in the appropriate manner, after skipping two holes because they would not let use play through, they just stared at us like crack heads ,rich kids suck.

WTF does this have to do with rich kids?

If you are one of the ones complaining about the sport becoming more popular then you are a hypocrite. Everyone was a new player at one time, you once sucked and threw the disc 50 feet high and 25 feet down fairway and took everyone's time.

"oh oh oh, but I didn't...I was SUPER RESPECTFUL and I'M DIFFERENT"

Bullsh*t.

I hate being behind a slow group as much as the next guy, but I've never once thought "I wish people didn't know about this sport so only I could play it." How selfish can you be? Especially given that nobody here that complains about this was a founding father of the game. You selfish hypocrites want to take someone else's creation and have it all to yourselves? You're as bad as the people that you complain about on an internet forum.

Bottom line: grow a pair and act like a man, not a 5-year old.

[/rant]

syntax error, unexpected $end

[gentleman voice] This syntax error was caused by the original poster not actually specifying the fact that they were beginning a rant by using the proper [rant] at the beginning of the rant. Thank you and good day.[/gentlemanvoice]

Used to be that hard courses, or the tall grass off the fairways, or a real unmarked course, would keep folks away. Now, the only option is pay to play....not only that; but, one is coming in around here, that may be a pretty expensive seasonal pass; but will be a limited group allowed to purchase said pass. And, it's going to be the best in the area....
My area has been overrun for a decade now. Used to be you could find yourself alone in the mornings, early. Not any more.... Used to be, you could find yourself alone on a week day. Not any more.... Heck I've been traveling 45 minutes or more out of my immediate area; to the next set of courses in a number of directions, for a decade. Now, those are full at all times. Glow golf will find you being overrun with players these days.
It's a good thing for those making money from the sport. It's a good thing overall. Those who want solitude will find a way to find it. Private courses and pay to play are the way to go. The long term problem with this, is that eventually you will have to be Rockefeller to play. Oh well, I'll either be dead then; or will find some other "underground" sport to capture my fancy.

Nah this is about ignorant jerks who have no regard for the game, the course, other players, or the things that drew so many to the sport.

The rich kid comment was about the college kids who attend Lehigh University a college near South Mtn DGC....school is very expensive and is basically Ivy League....I agree lots of out of touch kids there

I am not a top pro...Im terrible actually.....but what has always kept me interested in DG through all of my sucking and slow improvement has been the decent people who have cared for and cultivated the sport.

The type who would encourage a struggling noob, return a lost disc, let you play along, let you play through, answer any question eagerly, explain ettiquette w/o being pretentious

When a veteran player or a new player rolls their eyes at a noobs skill, hordes and sells lost discs, doesnt let you play along or play through, scoofs and laughs at 'dumb' questions, admonishes someone for breaking ettiquete I have a problem with that

When a group of players just spits in the face of everything that has made DG so great I have a problem with that.

I see it on the course and I am seeing on the forums as well.

Preserve the Vibe and the game's greatness will take care of itself