• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Ill be Wisconsin next month. I'm still fielding course 500 recommendations, although it needs to be within a 90 minute drive of Fond du Lac. (Winter Park, Silver Fox, Grey Fox, Silver Creek, Stoney Creek, Brown Deer and Heistand is what I'm pondering as options thus far.)

Here is the TR top ten (min 5 TR reviews.) Lake Marshall's Lions Layout is rocking a 5.0 with 3 TR reviews.
attachment.php

these might be fightin words to some and from a spoiled minnesotan but all the madison courses were average

i wouldnt feel comfortable recommending any of them to you as a 500 course milestone

Ill be Wisconsin next month. I'm still fielding course 500 recommendations, although it needs to be within a 90 minute drive of Fond du Lac. (Winter Park, Silver Fox, Grey Fox, Silver Creek, Stoney Creek, Brown Deer and Heistand is what I'm pondering as options thus far.)

Here is the TR top ten (min 5 TR reviews.) Lake Marshall's Lions Layout is rocking a 5.0 with 3 TR reviews.
attachment.php

Last time I tried to play Silver Fox, they said the course was closed due to July 4th festivities. Not sure when you're playing but heads up!

My original first thought for 500 was to replay Planmann Apple. My first course. but then i quickly realized i would still be at 499 :doh:

I had the same thing happen to me on my last trip. I thought it'd be cool if Flip would be my 550th course. It could've lined up perfect. Until my wife pointed out what should've been obvious. Already played it.

I'd play Stoney Creek or Silver Fox for 500 personally. Grey fox is great too, just not quite as good as the other 2. Silver Creek is really fun though too. You really can't go wrong with any of those.

Silver Fox was actually my #99 course ever played.

#100 was....The Canyons. :) And I didn't even plan it that way.

500 just seems so huge to me! Course a lot of those have been in the last 12 months, so maybe I can get there one day.

Tossing in some more praise for Silver Fox. I played it five years ago (to the week, actually), before they put the concrete tees in, and still gave it a 4.5. It's my lowest-ranked 4.5 on my list, but still in my top 25. Definitely worth a visit. I'd love to get back there and see how it's aged.

Go a half hour past Silver Fox and you could play one of the top courses in Illinois: Fairfield Park (Squaw Creek Gold)

Or stay a half an hour closer and play wolf's first ever played course. Valley View in New Berlin :D

these might be fightin words to some and from a spoiled minnesotan but all the madison courses were average

i wouldnt feel comfortable recommending any of them to you as a 500 course milestone

There's a reason I never really get to the Madison area to play. People LOVE Token Creek, too...and I just think it's ok.

And don't get me started on Bird's Ruins. The absolute worst prairie rough I've ever played.

Go a half hour past Silver Fox and you could play one of the top courses in Illinois: Fairfield Park (Squaw Creek Gold)
Already cherry picked Fairfield. Awesome course and would highly recommend it to every veteran player.

Traeger Elementary School -
traeger will likely be hit on this trip, but it will not be 500 :). probably going to combine it with Omro on an early morning bagger run before the fam wakes up.

Thank you everyone for all the recommendations. eventually ill hit all of these suggested courses.

There's a reason I never really get to the Madison area to play. People LOVE Token Creek, too...and I just think it's ok.

And don't get me started on Bird's Ruins. The absolute worst prairie rough I've ever played.

Truth, and TRUTH.

I guess this goes here. :( Brutal, brutal year for Harmony Bends. If they can't figure something out there, it's going to freefall out of the top 10.

picture.php

attachment.php

If I had to choose one of those for my 500th course here is how I would rank them

Silver Creek
Brown Deer
Silver Fox
Grey Fox
Heistand
-
-
-
-
-
Winter Park

I havent played stoney creek so I cant speak to it, But I am fond of the style of golf at Silver Creek and Brown Deer. I think that Silver Creek is just an amazingly fun course with a lot of fun holes. I think Im biased towards Brown Deer since it was my home course for a few years and I absolutely love it. I also dont understand how Winter Park is considered a good course by a lot of people. It was probably the worst high rated course that I ever played.

If I had to choose one of those for my 500th course here is how I would rank them

Silver Creek
Brown Deer
Silver Fox
Grey Fox
Heistand
-
-
-
-
-
Winter Park

I havent played stoney creek so I cant speak to it, But I am fond of the style of golf at Silver Creek and Brown Deer. I think that Silver Creek is just an amazingly fun course with a lot of fun holes. I think Im biased towards Brown Deer since it was my home course for a few years and I absolutely love it. I also dont understand how Winter Park is considered a good course by a lot of people. It was probably the worst high rated course that I ever played.

Winter Gold with the alt long pins back when it was kept up by superberry, was super tough. Def deserving of being highly ranked, tho' perhaps a bit overrated when you realize the gold tees were usually pretty mushy and/or non-existent in places.

I guess this goes here. :( Brutal, brutal year for Harmony Bends. If they can't figure something out there, it's going to freefall out of the top 10.

picture.php

This makes me exceptionally happy that I got there late last fall. The course was in perfect condition, and soooooo freakin' fun. The way I got to play it, it's in my top 3.

Oh snap! I have played Silver Creek, just didn't review it. If only there was a site for keeping track of such things....:| :|

Silver Creek is awesome! I'd say hit that.

One of my cardmates, from Rockford of course (;)), drank a bunch of whiskey the night before and was barfing red gatoraide all over the course, lulz.

I wore swim trunks and jumped in MI at one point. Fun day. :thmbup: Not much sleep. :| :|

(Outlaw!)

I wonder how many 4th of July weekend roadtrips this ruined?...

I roadtripped to Colorado in March and stopped by Harmony Bends on a Wednesday. Completely unplayable as it had rained there the day before. We came back through on the following Monday and it was barely playable despite no additional rain. The back 9 was completely muddy and entire teepads were covered. It was a shame because I saw the potential of the course.

Latest posts