• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

I just played harmony bends tuesday thinking I played #1. I previously played Selah ranch when it was number 1. Maybe this is a trend lol

Aaahh... We all have our various course bagging objectives, whatever they might be. Something I posted in a different thread seems quite apropos.
Somewhere, some malevolent course designer is planning to sink your boat. :\

:p

Last edited:
I just browsed thru pictures (and those were from 2020), and the course does look the part. What I think I would really like is you will be punished for getting off the fairway, but that tall pine tree 'rough' just won't be getting you cut and gnarled and I bet disc loss is quite low. My kind of rough--you pay for it with strokes, not blood or plastic.

Will be a while before I can out there, but definitely on my someday list...

My main issue with Caliber was how difficult it seemed to get into trouble... the fairways are extremely generous and it takes a real shank to end up in a really bad spot. Out of position, sure, but not awful.

However, I think if I was better at disc golf (read: could throw farther), I bet I would feel differently about it. My middling distance, 300' on flat ground, just didn't allow me to get too far off the fairway. For better players, which the course was specifically designed for, it might be a different animal. I would loooove to see some Jomez tournament coverage there with the best players in the world to see how it plays for them.

The top 10 is about to lose another course soon. Property owners for Selah Ranch aka Pure Hope Ranch have announced the courses are closing early next month.

Looks like The Hideaway may because Texas #1 course. Could be Dino Hills, Shawshank, The Zip now.

I would include SwordStone in that list, but you now have to be a member to even play the course outside of an event. To become a member, you have to apply and be approved. They are limiting the number of members they have. (this is all because of abuses of the property from people damaging it, to people coming on the property and not paying)

I see that Selah has already been RIP'd. Nice to see Maple Hill back in the top ten.

I would include SwordStone in that list
I have heard good things about SwordStone from my friends in Austin. Apparently it was around when i lived there, but i didn't know about it. Are u going to review it? or did you play it too long ago.

Here are the announcements I received, if anyone is interested enough to read it all...

A Message from Dave & Candy Hickerson at Selah Ranch:

Dear Friends and Community of Selah Ranch Disc Golf,

This is a letter of both announcement and deep appreciation. As you are aware, we all go through various seasons in life. It's almost impossible to imagine that 11 years have passed since Selah Ranch opened Lakeside and Creekside Disc Golf Courses. But, when we begin to think of all the guests, all the relationships, the joy, the anticipation, emotions spill out in ways that are unimaginable and unforgettable. We want to begin by expressing our sincere gratitude for each of you who have visited this beautiful property, which we have had the blessing to steward for over 30 years. Each of you have had a meaningful part in creating this truly magnificent space we have been able to share with literally thousands of guests, campers, and disc golf enthusiasts from all around the globe. Selah Ranch has become an icon in the disc golfing world over the last two decades, under the meticulous creation of world-renowned course architect, John Houck. We are honored that our two premier courses, Lakeside and Creekside, have been among those consistently recognized as some of the world's top-rated courses throughout the years. Both have been frequented by world champions and novice golfers alike. For the impact you have had on us and for the encounters and relationships we have had with each of you, we are eternally grateful.

We have now passed along Selah Inn and much of the surrounding acreage to a ministry that is very dear to our hearts, called "Pure Hope Foundation." In May of 2020, Pure Hope Foundation acquired a portion of the "Selah" property that included the Creekside course. Since that date, PHF has been running the disc golf operations with excellence. In December of 2020, their organization acquired "Selah Inn", the Cottages, Corral House, and the surrounding property to the North & West. Soon after this, we started building our new home on the East side of the lake, between #10 tee boxes. We kept the land surrounding our new home and most of the land that "Lakeside" is on for our family. Other individuals purchased land that include holes 5, 6, & 8. There is already a new home built close to #5 basket.

Over the past several months, we have had discussions with Houck Design about how to rearrange the Lakeside Course to account for all the new property lines, buildings, and any other possible obstacles planned in the future. We would like to thank John & Dee for all the time they invested in this attempt to save the course. They have been very supportive throughout this process. Due to the logistics with the new boundary lines, structures, fences, and livestock on our retained portion of the property, operation of the Lakeside Course will not be possible to continue. This has been an extremely difficult decision to make. We now find ourselves in a time of transition where we are ready to step back from disc golf and focus on our family and other endeavors. Our emotions are all over the place, but we believe fully that the timing is right. We will be closing the Lakeside Course on September 6, 2022.

What was "Selah Ranch" has now converted to "Pure Hope Ranch." Their team is continuing to serve the community and beyond by hosting world-class retreats at The Inn, while providing job training, life skills and a nest egg for young women in crisis who help serve at the ranch alongside the Pure Hope Foundation team. It is our great hope that you will continue to find opportunities to engage with this ministry and utilize this amazing property under their careful stewardship. We are proud to call them friends and have experienced first-hand the excellence in which they serve.

In closing, we would like to take a few more minutes to remember together some of the highlights of our experience with each of you throughout the years of Selah Ranch Disc Golf. The beginning was such a privilege as we experienced an imaginative spark of creating such great courses with the best course designer, John Houck. Talk about creativity! "John, not sure we can put a golf hole in the lake." "John, you can take this clean slate of ranch land and create whatever you envision for a disc golf course." We'll try to build it and maintain it to the best of our abilities. "Use whatever is here to make it the best!" We had no idea the courses would be rated #1 and #2 in the world when they were rated by Disc Golf Review in 2012. While John Houck designed and helped build the courses, it was also you, the players and guests that made Lakeside and Creekside the best courses in the world. Great sport, great players who came from all 50 states, all provinces of Canada, Mexico, Central America, South America, England, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Lichtenstein, then Asia, Japan, China, Australia, New Zealand, islands in the Pacific – from cold places to hot places. You came from every compass direction and corner including each Continent. You came with your young kids, youth, middle agers, and those a bit older, filling out every bracket on the player card. You came just to have fun, to compete in small groups or in larger team tournaments. We are thankful for each one of you who came. You added challenge and friendship and transparency to our lives. We thank you for honoring the land, by taking care of the courses when you played and for honoring us by your sincere kindness and manners. We pray blessings over each of you, and so appreciate what you have meant to our family throughout the years.

Our Warmest Regards,

Dave and Candy Hickerson

A Message from Michael Lee at Pure Hope Ranch:

Dear Disc Golf Friends,

I have thoroughly enjoyed the interaction with all of you over the past seven plus years that we have been involved in what has now become Pure Hope Ranch (Formerly "Selah Ranch"). Some of you will remember when my family and I were living in our coach parked behind the pro shop. We were just starting Pure Hope Foundation and figuring out our next steps to get settled and help the young women surviving the atrocity of sex trafficking. After meeting Dave & Candy, we knew Selah Ranch was the place our ministry would take root and grow. We were enjoying our new friendship, while helping as much as possible around the property and learning all we could about the operations of the ranch. I had never been around disc golf but was soon engaged with all of you gathered for the World Amateur Doubles Tournament. This was the biggest event of the year around here, and we were right in the middle of it. It was a pleasure to serve you.

As PHF continued to grow and help more survivors, we were able to purchase the Northern part of the ranch that included the Creekside course. At this time, we took over the operations of the pro shop and reservations of disc golf. Dave & Candy still own and maintain the Lakeside course, but we began interacting with all of you when making reservations and playing both courses. I was consistently out on Creekside trimming limbs, mowing, and digging ditches on a regular basis. It has been great getting to know the disc golf family. It really is like a family, how you all look out for one another and show so much respect for the grounds on which you play.

At the end of 2020, we acquired more of the ranch property which included: The Inn, Cottages, and Corral House. With PHF now handling the disc golf reservations, retreats and other events at the ranch, Dave & Candy had time to focus on the construction of their new home. They were still on property and continued to help us during this time of transition, while we were putting together our team to handle the new responsibilities. Thank you all for your patience during this learning curve.

After a few months, we had a great team assembled and started hosting retreats at the Inn while welcoming visitors to the ranch from all over the world. Construction of Dave & Candy's new home was well under way, and it was becoming more and more apparent that changes to the Lakeside course were needed. Many of you have played during this time, and we appreciate your understanding and flexibility while we continued to have conversations about possible solutions to all the new property lines and structures on the course. Again, thank you for your patience.

With the information above coming from Dave & Candy regarding the closing of the Lakeside course, it is with a sad heart that I must announce the closing of the Creekside course as well. We have a Board of Directors that we get to work with and are accountable to, and the financial forecast does not support keeping Creekside open without Lakeside. The cost of maintaining the course has also increased like everything else this year. After gathering much feedback, the majority have agreed that you all wouldn't make the trip out here for only 18 holes. I believe this to be the reality because I have had conversations with many of you about what the attraction was to the ranch that made it worth the many miles you had to endure to get here. The most common answer, especially from all of you spending the weekend at the Corral House, was 72 holes of disc golf on a beautiful property in the country, because many of you would play from the front tees one day and the back tees the next.

I will miss all the competitive bantering as well as the supportive compliments that took place around the pro shop; and let's not forget the incredible stories being told at night around a good campfire. While I may not miss the often-stranded golf carts and the occasional unruly guest, the vast majority of you will leave a profound void on this amazing property and in our hearts. I wish you all well and continued success in whatever He has in store for you.

With much appreciation and gratitude,

Michael Lee

4.5 for Eagle's Crossing, which ends its perfect streak, but brings it closer to being eligible for the top ten. 4.92 overall with 6 reviews. The review had some decent complaints, but "Biggest con, by far, is the "middle of no where" factor. This course might redefine that." is not something that's okay to put in any review. You're reviewing the course, not the location.

4.5 for Eagle's Crossing, which ends its perfect streak, but brings it closer to being eligible for the top ten. 4.92 overall with 6 reviews. The review had some decent complaints, but "Biggest con, by far, is the "middle of no where" factor. This course might redefine that." is not something that's okay to put in any review. You're reviewing the course, not the location.

Why isn't it okay to address that?

I am not speaking for the reviewer, but there are several cons i will note on a review that do not effect the score I give, one of these of which is that its located in the middle of nowhere. Other cons i note that don't effect the score i give include, bugs, snakes, poison ivy, beginner friendliness, time play, cart friendliness.

I am not speaking for the reviewer, but there are several cons i will note on a review that do not effect the score I give, one of these of which is that its located in the middle of nowhere. Other cons i note that don't effect the score i give include, bugs, snakes, poison ivy, beginner friendliness, time play, cart friendliness.

I think unchecked poison ivy is worthy of reducing a rating. My mind is blown when I see DGPT and PDGA Majors with PI all over it.

Spoken like a local.

The power and beauty of the reviews here, is the ability to determine for yourself, what impacts your review. I find it difficult to tell anyone how they should review a course. I only implore that you provide an explanation of your rating and a description of your experience. I will gladly run with it from there. I am happy to glean what I find important and homogenize my own vision, based on your review.....until I get there and find out how closely our takes match.

The power and beauty of the reviews here, is the ability to determine for yourself, what impacts your review. I find it difficult to tell anyone how they should review a course. I only implore that you provide an explanation of your rating and a description of your experience. I will gladly run with it from there. I am happy to glean what I find important and homogenize my own vision, based on your review.....until I get there and find out how closely our takes match.

^ gets it.

I'm with you, but everyone handles things a bit differently.

Exactly--I am not allergic to PI, so its a non-factor. I prefer PI over thick thorny rough. But as mentioned, as long as the comments are in the review, that is the meat. I have never once played or not played a course based solely upon the review SCORE.

I actually prefer seeing everyone's personal pet peeves, because they highlight things that other reviewers, who may not care, have overlooked. Like me--I have never mentioned PI in a review, cause to me I don't care, but I realize others might now, so I will start paying more attention to it. :)

As far as middle of nowhere, so is, ahem...Flip. And Caliber. But I felt the same way about Eagles--quite a bit off the beaten path. I've never lowered a score because of it, but it is nice to be aware of. Bring your food/drinks in, or buy them there. Mind the gas tank.

Latest posts