• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving south for the winter. Where to go?

diskhead

Par Member
hello my disc golf friends

im from Wisconsin. Winters here can get pretty brutal. Last year we set records for snowfall. Im looking to avoid some of that this year :D

Im looking for a nice, comfortable place to call home for 1-3 months located in the heart of a bunch of great DG courses :) I'd also prefer a bigger city, like 50k - 250k population, but not a huge city like Jacksonville. Somewhere in Georgia or Florida. Texas doesnt sound to bad either. :thmbup:

Any suggestions?

Consider moving to San Antonio, Tx.

There are some good courses here.

It's just an hour away from the courses in south Austin.

The cost of living can be less than Austin.

The traffic is better.

yeah i would agree with Augusta.. of course there is Charlotte.. Greenville, SC would work but not a "ton" of course but enough of them in the area to keep you happy that's for sure

Nashville, TN area has lots of great courses around, not a terrible drive to any of the other mentioned places for destination DG and has a low cost of living with population high enough to be a big city

OP has to understand that down here we don't really have medium sized cities. The few we have generally don't have a lot of dg or have ****ty weather in comparison like Boone or Asheville. They are both wonderful places but they are snowy.

rain a couple days a week is okay, but I like my run ups and teepads to be as dry as possible :)

Augusta would definitely fit your criteria. Although, if you're going to be living there, you're probably going to want a city with more flair.

I moved to SW Florida from Michigan in 1999. I have not seen snow since the '98/99 winter. (I have been up north in the winter since leaving it, but was just lucky I guess).

Sarasota is a very nice "mid" sized city, with alot going on, and a few ok disc golf courses.

Ft Myers is coming on strong with a very nice course in Estero now, and a new/better N Ft Myers course + a few other local courses to mix it up a little.

The Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater area has some of the best DG courses with the highest density of area courses in Florida. It might be a little too "big city" for your liking though, and the further south that you go, generally, the better the weather is down here in the wintertime.

Also, there are alot of tournaments coming up, if you are into that kinda thing. I played in 3 last month.

Among the advantages of Augusta, GA, is there are plenty of other courses a day-trip away. Charlotte, and its disc golf riches, are 2 or 2 1/2 hours.