• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Music on course

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think people who generally listen to music as a whole should be collected and put in specific locations, read: not camps of any kind, and then gassed and or tortured to death for this horrible thing they do.

This reminds me of a dude that used to live here and was a total course Nazi. During weekly dubs, he was playing his music through his speakers the whole round. Not that big of a deal, but it was a league round. On one tee he stepped up and got pissed because my partner and I said like one sentence before he threw and blow up and acted like a total 12 year old girl, and talking about ethics on the course. Then I said, "yeah, says the guy who never asked if it was okay for him to play music."

This reminds me of a dude that used to live here and was a total course Nazi. During weekly dubs, he was playing his music through his speakers the whole round. Not that big of a deal, but it was a league round. On one tee he stepped up and got pissed because my partner and I said like one sentence before he threw and blow up and acted like a total 12 year old girl, and talking about ethics on the course. Then I said, "yeah, says the guy who never asked if it was okay for him to play music."

Usually the way it goes. They're fine with them doing something but the moment someone else does it, that's horrible. Like the person leaving cigarette butts all over the place while bitching about the trash on the course.

Well, not always true. The major park system I play in has plenty of rules, shouldn't have to, but isn't that always the way with laws and rules. There is a noise ordinance, dogs must be leashed, obsene language is prohibited, alcohol must be used in identified areas, no motorized vehilce off the road, helmets must be worn when biking, vandalism of any kind is illegal....most are common sense and rarely enforced. It is my guess most people understand common decency. A disc golf course is a big place, you have to be going out of you way to do something dumb enough to anger others. Sadly, some people need to be told to clean up after their dog, stop writing all over picnic tables or to stop breaking trees....even sadder are the people who figure they have the right to do this in the first place.
If you are playing music as a "personal or group" level, nobody is telling you anything. That is really the whole point here. Why would anybody intentionally engage in something they know will decrease the enjoyment of others around them?

Okay, wait... you have to wear a helmet to ride a bike? Seriously?

If we are talking about nature and intrusions, then a disc course in and of itself is an intrusion on nature, and most park settings for that matter. That sound of plastic hitting chains certainly isn't mating call of the yellow bellied sapsucker. Maybe the same guys whining about music being too loud can bring an extra plastic bag to clean up the trash caused by our less than considerate DG bretheren.

If people want peace and quiet and to be one with nature, there is always hiking, far far away from the civilized world.

I make no claim that a disc golf course is a pristine wilderness.

Just that the intrusion of music is different on different courses. The same music that blends in with the park sounds in a public park of kids playing, people picnicking in shelters (possibility with their own music), basketball players, and traffic---doesn't blend into the background of a quiet wooded course.

Just as volume matters, and perhaps music selection matters, the setting matters in how the music is likely to be received by others.

It probably doesn't matter to the "ban all music" segment or the "I can do what I want" segment, but to everyone else negotiating social civility, it might.

The courses people are playing might also affect their positions entering this debate. If you play a lot of noisy parks, you might rightly ask, Why's anyone making a big deal about my noise?

I dont think this is about playing music or not while playing. Its more about being an A-hole on the course, and A-holes get smacked!

That's the thing...These threads always devolve in to what defines someone as being an A-hole, and which side of the debate is the bigger A-hole.

Music and talking while trying to throw are one thing, but please everyone stand behind the pad with your bag instead of to the side -- that's just as distracting to me.

@AmsterdamHeavy. You do act like the tough guy calling ppl "twats" and "fools". That's extremely rude and unwarranted. I didn't see anyone calling you vulgar names to instigate your reaction. This is probably your approach to others on the course, and life, in general. Sad.

Precisely.

And anyone who knows me on here knows I have no problem telling you to turn your crap music off to your face. And I promise you, you will turn it down. You wont draw your line in the sand with me.

It comes down to not being a little whiny jerk. If you are blaring music on the course, chances are you are the kind of person who litters, writes your aces on the basket, and throws in on people.

If you are the kind of person who keeps your music low, chances are you are the kind of person who disposes of your trash properly, writes your aces on your disc and asks politely to play through.

Thats the long and short of it all.

I am not a fan of music on the course but my buddies all seem to enjoy it so I just tune it out and it's no big deal.

However, I will say at night I like to be able to hear where the disc lands on certain blind shots so i just ask them to pause the music until I shoot.

Precisely.

And anyone who knows me on here knows I have no problem telling you to turn your crap music off to your face. And I promise you, you will turn it down. You wont draw your line in the sand with me.

This sounds unreasonable at best.

My group typically has music playing on the course. We however do a volume check during warm-up. General rule we follow: If we leave the speaker at the tee-pad and can hear it at the basket, it's too loud and we turn it down. That way we can enjoy it moving as a group but not disrupt others. If we catch a group we turn it off and at the volume level we keep our speakers, we figure most genres are open for play.

Blue Ribbon Pines now has a speaker system throughout the entire course which they blast classical music on every tee

Feels like a damn fairytale playing there now...

Is your objection with the music or the drawing in the sand?

IT'S A FREE COUNTRY! I CAN DRAW ALL THE LINES I WANT TO!

Precisely.

It comes down to not being a little whiny jerk. If you are blaring music on the course, chances are you are the kind of person who litters, writes your aces on the basket, and throws in on people.

If you are the kind of person who keeps your music low, chances are you are the kind of person who disposes of your trash properly, writes your aces on your disc and asks politely to play through.

Long and short of this post.
My name is AndyJB and I can beat up anyone because my friends who happen to be online friends say I can. I wish I lived near you so I can be interwebz tough guy and blast my music just to illicit a response from you.

Precisely.

that literally sounds like a little whiny jerk, or maybe in your case a big whiny jerk, not sure if we are supposed to be intimidated because you have a nickname of big country.

the sand in which you want to draw your line in, is actually a public park, meaning its not your sand at all.

i don't listen to music on the course, however it seems to me i would have a better response to turning it down if you approached with caution as opposed to being an arsehat and using intimidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts