• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Axis

You guys really hit enough trees for the different types of bounces between plastics to make a difference?

I've played four rounds on very different courses with the axis so far and I must admit I am a bit smitten.

Here's the take from a rec player (820ish rating)

My name is David and I am an OATaholic. (Hi David). I have been working on fixing my form and it has gotten much better this year. My chance of turning my buzzz (170 cryztal Z) increases dramatically if I try to put it past 240'(ish).

The axis does not mask OAT at all but it does not turn as badly as the buzzz did. Additionally it plays much straighter when powered down. The buzzz tended to fade harder if I tried to finesse it. Considering the weight of my Axises (179) I am pleasantly surprised at the amount of touch I have with them.

The Axis has knocked the buzzz out of my bag (used them since 08). It is also taking over a lot of duties of my Eagle-L because of the controlled distance and glide. The Hornet is also losing time to the axis due to its incredible ability to hold the hyzer line without flipping up. I am finding that there may not be a lot of shots I used to use the Hornet for that I can not cover with either the Zone, Banshee or Axis.

Distance Drivers - PD, Valk
Fairway Drivers - Banshee, Eagle-L, River, Stingray
Mids- Zone, Hornet, Axis, Mako
Putter - Ridge

Hope this helps for all the rec players out there considering an axis purchase. I highly recommend it. My first two rounds with it in the bag I played a shorter course and drove with the Axis on 13 holes. I scored a personal best 58 (+1) and a 55 (-2) for my first ever under-par round. My average round on the course is around a 62 and my previous best was a 59.

Got my axis in the mail from MST two days ago. I have since played 18 holes, and taken it around my local park for some single disc object golf.

Its a 177 in UV Blue. I didn't really understand the "UV" part of it until I saw it hit the sun. It goes from clear in the house - to BLUE in the sun... way too cool.

I can throw this thing as hard as I want. If I give it a full rip, it'll give me a little bit of flip (from whatever angle) and then sit on that angle until it hits the ground. For a more of a placement shot it will hold my line, and fade just slightly.

Goodbye rocs.

I am occasionally using mine, but it still is very similar to my heavy Fuse. But the Fuse glides more and is a little better at the touch anny shots. Jury will probably be out until I try a lighter weight one.

My flat green axis seems to be getting a bit more turn in it than it had when I first got it. It is a pretty noticeable difference to me. I was afraid of that since it seemed perfect out of the box.

Got an Axis ace today! Sherwood Forest #9 (250').

The Buzzz is going to have a hard time earning its way back into my bag. Thanks MVP!

Hmmm...my green axis its at the bottom of a gross pond. We'll see if it wants to be fished out tomorrow...I agree with koffee though, its between my Buzzz and Fuse...

The Axis has knocked the buzzz out of my bag (used them since 08). It is also taking over a lot of duties of my Eagle-L because of the controlled distance and glide. The Hornet is also losing time to the axis due to its incredible ability to hold the hyzer line without flipping up. I am finding that there may not be a lot of shots I used to use the Hornet for that I can not cover with either the Zone, Banshee or Axis.

Distance Drivers - PD, Valk
Fairway Drivers - Banshee, Eagle-L, River, Stingray
Mids- Zone, Hornet, Axis, Mako
Putter - Ridge

you should try pairing it with a cMD2 instead of the Hornet

I just got my first Ion today and wow is the inside rim comfortable!

Does the axis have a curved inside rim like the Ion where the rim meets the flight plate as well? That thing is super comfortable and if it does I might have to pick me up one.

Does the axis have a curved inside rim like the Ion where the rim meets the flight plate as well? That thing is super comfortable and if it does I might have to pick me up one.

little bit of both? doesnt have the curve that the ion does, but its also no 90 degree angle or anything. similar, not the same.

you should try pairing it with a cMD2 instead of the Hornet

Or how about the disc it was designed to compliment...The Vector. I'm loving my Axis, but the Vector is currently still my favorite mid. It's been windy lately, and the Vector is so consistent and predictable for me.

little bit of both? doesnt have the curve that the ion does, but its also no 90 degree angle or anything. similar, not the same.

Yeah, it depends on what part of the feel you are speaking of. Like the Ion, the Axis is seamless and smooth with no sharp plastic touching your hand on the bottom of the disc and no engravings on the underside.

I'm still not sure about my Axis. I just haven't had a chance to really give it a try.

I'm either going to go to a very tight wooded course today and try it head to head with the Core and nothing but those 2 and try to hit the lines, or; I am going to go to a relatively open, bigger course to where I should have plenty of opportunities just throw them however I want. (same course Mike C uses on most his vids)

Would rather go to that open course but time might be a factor today.

Or how about the disc it was designed to compliment...The Vector. I'm loving my Axis, but the Vector is currently still my favorite mid. It's been windy lately, and the Vector is so consistent and predictable for me.

I just played a more or less open course in some strong wind... I was really happy with how well the Vector handled headwinds, yet I can still throw it on calm days and it doesn't feel really overstable. That fade is really nice. It's my go-to mid now.

The Axis sees action for the soft hyzers, power down shots, light turnovers and annies that don't fade out very much.

I'm adjusting to the feel and style...gonna stick with them both for a while.

Thanks for the advice guys. One of the aspects of the Hornet I like as a complement to the Mako and Axis is that it has a lot less glide then the other two. With the glide on the Axis I have been hesitant to reach for it when there is danger behind the basket, and like having the hornet which is less likely to go long.

I've never thrown the vector or the MD2. How would you compare the glide on these discs to the hornet?

Thanks again!

I've never thrown the vector or the MD2. How would you compare the glide on these discs to the hornet?

Thanks again!

Compared to the Hornet the Vector is slightly slower and more high speed stable. The Vector has more glide than the Hornet, but it does sit down fast as it loses speed/spin...much more so than the Axis. Other people have thrown the MD2 more than I, so I'll let them comment on that.

The Axis has definitely made it's self a place in my bag. Played several rounds w/ it so far ( seasoned in nicely!) and almost got an ace on #9 at Ft. Yargo this afternoon, had some really nice shots at Sandy Creek this past Sunday. Also played a round at Alexander and was impressed w/ the lines that it produced/held. Very predictable, like the way it feels, and, got some nice long approaches parking under the pin for easy pars!

Agreed MrFixIt. Over my last 3 rounds the axis is finally earning a major role in my bag. I hit two baskets with it today and aced my own 174 ft hole in my back yard. The line you throw is the line the disc will keep. If you get the right snap on it the disc flies so straight all the way until it hits the ground with minimal fade. I have a blue super flat axis btw.

Thanks for the advice guys. One of the aspects of the Hornet I like as a complement to the Mako and Axis is that it has a lot less glide then the other two. With the glide on the Axis I have been hesitant to reach for it when there is danger behind the basket, and like having the hornet which is less likely to go long.

Thanks again!

can't compare the md2 to the hornet but my cMD2 has a bit less glide than the mako and axis. i believe the other plastics have more glide but from my experience the cMD2 has it's fair share.

the thing about the cMD2 for me is that is really easy to range the distance on it in comparison to the mako or axis. it has this tendency to hit the range you're looking for then drop much faster than the axis or mako which makes them generally go 5-10' farther on the same throw.

since you already have the axis and mako in your bag i really suggest picking up a cMD2 to compliment them. right now i'm running pretty much the same mid lineup you are except i've got a pig instead of a zone, and a cMD2 instead of a hornet. the md2 and mako feel so much like the same disc in the hand which makes it really easy to be comfortable with.