• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few questions for seasoned MVP throwers:

What is a good overstable compliment to a beat neutron anode? Looking for something with near 0 turn and some (but not a ton of) fade...

What is a good understable compliment to a proton volt? Looking for something that will flip up from hyzer or turn over when thrown flat...

Is a heavy Motion a suitable replacement for a worn, slight dome firebird

For the first question just get a fresh soft proton anode. They won't flip as far as I can throw them, just a tad over 300'.

And there is always a little fade. If you want more then get an envy.

What is a good overstable compliment to a beat neutron anode? Looking for something with near 0 turn and some (but not a ton of) fade...

What is a good understable compliment to a proton volt? Looking for something that will flip up from hyzer or turn over when thrown flat...

Envy, a lighter one to minimize fade a bit if that's what you want.

A switch inspire or amp for question two. Inspire or switch will be easier to get the turn out of.

Yes a motion could work but if your firebird is worked enough a max weight resister can work for most beat firebird duties. Also a max tesla could if your firebird was beat.

1. The Ion is the more stable big brother of the Anode. Like Koda said, if you want even more stability, go with the Envy.

2. Sounds like you want an Amp. It will do exactly as you ask.

The Ion is the next step over from a fresh Anode. Thrown clean at full power they'll go dead straight 90% of the flight, then have a gentle but consistent fade. They're like a more HSS KC Aviar, or a Wizard that fades a bit later. I think this is what you are looking for.

The Envy is the next step over, being more like a Rhyno with more glide. They can be cranked on like a driver and don't require as clean of form to keep straight, but severe OAT will still turn them. Zones they are not. These are excellent discs and I highly recommend them, but if you can get a clean throw with your beat Anode, the Ion is probably going to suit you just fine.

The Amp shares a lot of specs with the Volt, and will easily flip. For something that still turns easily, but doesn't turn quite as hard, there is the Inspire from Axiom. The inspire is a touch more stable than Amps, but also a more narrow rim (Speed 7 vs 9, roughly). Either could fill that slot, but the Amp feeling so similar to Volts is something to consider.

Yes. Motions are basically speed 10.5's Firebirds IMO.

you can find test videos of all of these molds at www.youtube.com/thediscgolfvids :)

depends on the speed you want but envy regarding putter class is going to be your best bet otherwise there are 2 mids the tensor and vector. The tensor would be the slower one of the 2

this is tricky now b/c you have quite a few options for molds depending on what exactly you are looking for and how far you generally throw the volt out on the course-- everything from a switch, inspire, amp, inertia, impulse could all work here

definitely. Doesn't even need to be heavy. If you want something slower then a resistor is just that. Both are every bit as OS (maybe even more-so than a domey FB as they are flat flat flat)

Last edited:
For the first question just get a fresh soft proton anode. They won't flip as far as I can throw them, just a tad over 300'.

Conversely, I find beat medium proton anode has the most turn. I'm not quite getting my anodes out to 300' yet, more like 260'-280' and my second hand beat to floppy, clear medium proton anode holds its turn all the way to the ground on throws that my neutrons fade out of.

Last edited:
that's why an envy is the best bet. Ions are obviously the beaded "OS" complement but really its not going to be tooo different of a disc to notice much IMO. You could possibly just go with Ions in general though and not need a anode/envy combo.. carry all 3 and zone hell its DG throw everything!! :D

One thing I rarely see MVP heads mention is how awesome their discs are for rollers. In my experience the overmold does an excellent job of gripping the ground, giving the disc excellent traction on a roller shot. Anyone else feel the same?

One thing I rarely see MVP heads mention is how awesome their discs are for rollers. In my experience the overmold does an excellent job of gripping the ground, giving the disc excellent traction on a roller shot. Anyone else feel the same?

All of my MVP dabbling is with stable stuff, I've yet to throw a decidedly overstable or understable disc from them so I can't say I've thrown any rollers with them really. Any driver do a good xXx impression?

Never really noticed a difference between overmold and regular discs, honestly.
I will say, The Crave will roll and keep on rolling. One of my favorite roller discs I have in my bag
(More on the forehand roller side but it handles both exceptionally well).

Yeah. I can roll MVP discs so much better than any other brand. It's weird. They just go further.

And there is always a little fade. If you want more then get an envy.

This. I find the soft P Anode to be quite different from a seasoned N Anode. The soft P just doesn't beat in, and I swear if anything it seems to get more LS stable over time, as crazy as that sounds. And if you like the hand feel on the Anode, best to stick with the same mold if you can roll with the soft P plastic.

Otherwise, an N Envy will get there, but IMO it'll take some beating on it to get it into that "some but not a ton of fade" place.

Aside from the other suggetions...if you can get your hands on a pre-tweak Volt, it'll wear into exactly what you want for the US compliment to the P...and it'll be a bit closer in feel than the Amp.

Last edited:
Volt and Crave are my go to rollers. I used to use my road runner but have had much better results with MVP/Axioms.

1. Light Envy or Alias. I imagine the Alias would be like a really beat in Envy or maybe a light one. They're both very stable at higher speeds, resist turnover and don't have a big fade.

2. You probably want a light Inspire unless you've got a bigger arm. I love my Amp and while it's more understable than my Volts it's still not the easiest thing to hyzer flip. To me MVP really leans towards overstability and control. I've actually don't any MVP discs that I would term flippy.

3. Haven't tried the Motion yet but my Resistor works as a great replacement for a Firebird.

Hey Mike,

You should do a video comparing similar molds from other companies with MVP. I know there are probably a lot of people like me that have thrown a lot of molds over the years and if I see that a Crave is similar to a Teebird (for example) that gives me a great indication of how the Crave throws.

You should also do a mini review when you do your videos. What you like about the disc. What it's like. Wow lines you feels it excels at. You do a great job with showing up the flights but sometimes I like it spelled out and explained to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.