• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
joots,

Those putters wont have much glide for a 6 year old, i would think something not very over stable and more glide might be a better option. they dont have anything like a comet type disc though.

Maybe try a MVP Signal (speed 6)? because its more flippy and glides and at his power might hold a line longer, then when he can get that turning over move up to a more stable speed 6 or 7 and add the proxy or something would be my thoughts

I'm here as an outsider, cuz other than field practice, I have never throw anything from MVP (I putt w/a Pilot, does that count for anything?). Anywho's, my 6 year son watches tournaments w/me and is quite taken by the overmold design that have been so frequently advertised. Now, I am looking to buy him a mid and a putter. I am leaning towards a Tangent and and Envy (hell, I might pick one of those up for me as well). Am I on the right line w/these two molds, or is there something else you would suggest? TIA

I love the Envy, but it is a little deep for young hands. The Atom may be better for that age.

Let him hold both and let him decide. If you don't have access to both, let him feel of a polecat. If it feels ok to him, go with the Envy, if not, go with the Atom.

I'm here as an outsider, cuz other than field practice, I have never throw anything from MVP (I putt w/a Pilot, does that count for anything?). Anywho's, my 6 year son watches tournaments w/me and is quite taken by the overmold design that have been so frequently advertised. Now, I am looking to buy him a mid and a putter. I am leaning towards a Tangent and and Envy (hell, I might pick one of those up for me as well). Am I on the right line w/these two molds, or is there something else you would suggest? TIA

Hey bud welcome... a quicklook and apparently you can get a Spin as low as 155g that would fly well and have a deeper dish... electron plastic would help for him.

The Vertex is less stable than a Tangent... I don't know if there are any around but they make it as low as 165g and if you found a Skulboy Vertex at that weight it would blow his mind.. I don't know how well he could throw it but that print is awesome...

For you... Envy and Tangent are solid choices plasma plastic is sweet.....

For throw ability it's probably the two best choices with overmold..

He mostly throws the Phase, Photon, Deflector, and Envy. What he does with that Phase is like cheating, it's so accurate.

Man, the Phase is a great disc. I pulled my two out during my bag minimalization idea about a year ago but I think about adding them back a lot.

I can throw the Giants I've got ITB further and they cover more lines, but there is so much to be said for dropping a disc within 25 feet of your target at 400-430 with a high success rate.

Vertx, Theory or Spin.

I think it's official....the Volt is the best control driver ever.....if you find the right one hahaha. I was at the store yesterday and got a Black Plasma Volt 173g - and it has the perfect profile - Pretty Flat top and the disc isn't too rigid nor too floppy even in 90 degree heat. I really liked the flight and May have to get another one. Come on MVP - keep making them like that - no more flip-turd volts!

I'm slowly becoming a gyro-head I guess. Traded a bunch of stuff at a shop today and picked up a new 170g N Inertia and also found a like new 168g plasma Photon for $9.

Been bagging a couple of Atoms for putting and approaches for quite a while. Love my N Volt for S/OS fairway and also been bagging a 168g N Tesla that is pretty dang beefy. I have a 165g Fission Tesla that isn't nearly as OS. Been throwing a 172g P Insanity for a few weeks and I'm getting it dialed in as my max D driver. I actually threw it over 400'......once on a very slight downhill, and haven't really come close to duplicating it. Consistently getting it to 350ish on flat ground though. It's the only gyro disc I have that has some dome, the rest are mostly flat.

Just threw the Inertia and Photon a bit in the field today. The Inertia obviously has a similar flight as the Insanity but I do like the flat profile, especially for FH. The Photon is pretty beefy for me but seems workable.

Am I correct in thinking MVP's flight numbers are about 1 digit too high? I'd rate the Insanity/Inertia/Tesla at no more than 10 speed and the Photon at 11. Volt seems about right at 8 speed.

Last edited:
Am I correct in thinking MVP's flight numbers are about 1 digit too high? I'd rate the Insanity/Inertia/Tesla at no more than 10 speed and the Photon at 11. Volt seems about right at 8 speed.
Their rim widths/speeds have always been a little off center, if you catch my drift. Volt is 8.5ish, Photon class is 11.5ish(imo), for example. Add to that some questionable numbers they've given some of their discs since they added them. I haven't looked at all of them but a couple I did, I was :confused:

People have all sorts of variance in their throwing styles, which makes discs do crazy things from one person to another. Then add weather, wind, altitude, etc and you get to a point where flight numbers are pretty useless, especially on discs toward the middle of stability ranges. That's one reason why I liked the flight charts to begin with...

Last edited:
I honestly haven't looked at the flight numbers since they changed. I didn't really look at flight charts either. I much prefer watching videos from reviewers like TK discs, or reading reviews from people who have similar arm speed to myself when checking out a new disc.

And honestly, there's not much realistic difference between some of these numbers for it to really matter. The only time I look for a new disc is when I lose an old one and want to try something different in that slot, or beat one in enough that I now need a replacement. Then I'm only looking at the general characteristics. "do I need a new OS mid?" if that's what I'm looking for, I'll check out some reviews of molds and try to feel it in my hand. Don't really care about flight numbers too much, just that it's OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.