• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a moment on the course yesterday where I realized I was way overthinking things. Trying to figure out whether a forehand or backhand a Tesla flex line would be better when my vision cleared and I asked myself, self, why don't you just let a Crave do straight ahead Crave things? Parked.

Older patent pending Volt and Tesla vs newer ones - some questions

Some questions for you all about various runs of Volt and Tesla.

Short story : I bought MVP discs a long while ago then I stopped playing. Now I'm playing again. So I bought more Volts and Tesla because I like them.
Now, I just received the new Volts (1x : Fission, Electron, Plasma) and my new Tesla (1x: Plasma, special edition Fission) and I notice differences between my older ones and the new ones.
Both my older Volt (Proton) and Tesla (Neutron) are older "Patent pending" versions. Since I can't go throw them right now, I figured I'd ask about what I should expect from the newer disc considering the differences I noticed between each. See below for comparaison pictures and some of my guesses. Would love for you all to let me know what you think.

1. My old Proton "patent pending" Volt (left) vs new Electron Volt :

This one is tough for me, the profile pic makes them look like completely different disc. The PLH is realllly lower on the Electron Volt, so it should be a lot mor flippy than my Proton, correct? Also, it has much more dome, my Proton PP is very flat (it has a small shoulder, but then it gets super flat while the electron, plasma and fission have a more progressive dome all the way to the top. Plasma and Fission have even more dome than Electron it appears).

2. My old Proton "patent pending" Volt vs new Plasma Volt

Comparing those two, the PLH is about the same, but the Plasma has way more dome. How will the dome impact flight from your experience? I'm hoping for a bit more glide. As a sidenote : I must say my Proton PP Volt is quite overstable for my arm. I don't think I can push it on a straight release much past 270, no turn at all.

3. My old Proton "patent pending" Volt vs new Fission Volt

Quite a lower PLH on the Fission one, and more dome (can't tell from picture). I'm expecting this one to have a nice turn and more glide. What do you think?

4. Neutron patent pending Tesla (left) vs new Plasma Tesla

We can't really tell the PLH on the picture (too dark), but it is a tad higher on the Plasma Tesla. Also, the picture makes it seem like the Plasma is much taller, and although it is taller, it's not as big a gap as the picture shows. I suspect my vantage point was too low.
I expect the plasma to be more overstable, anything else I should expect?

5. Neutron patent pending Tesla (left) vs new special edition Fission Tesla

Those two look quite similar. The PLH is about the same, so I guess the Fission being 10g heavier will fly a tad more overstable?

I appreciate everyone's input. Cheers.

I think I can answer the tesla side.. I think it will be in order of most stable to least.. Fission-PP neutron- Plasma

Hard to say though, I threw more PP fission teslas and didn't get neutron until later. The plasma should be the closest ride to your PP.

I think the dome on your volt will make it much more stable regardless of the plh. The newer plasma I had was beefy!!!

Some questions for you all about various runs of Volt and Tesla.

Short story : I bought MVP discs a long while ago then I stopped playing. Now I'm playing again. So I bought more Volts and Tesla because I like them.
Now, I just received the new Volts (1x : Fission, Electron, Plasma) and my new Tesla (1x: Plasma, special edition Fission) and I notice differences between my older ones and the new ones.
Both my older Volt (Proton) and Tesla (Neutron) are older "Patent pending" versions. Since I can't go throw them right now, I figured I'd ask about what I should expect from the newer disc considering the differences I noticed between each. See below for comparaison pictures and some of my guesses. Would love for you all to let me know what you think.

1. My old Proton "patent pending" Volt (left) vs new Electron Volt :

This one is tough for me, the profile pic makes them look like completely different disc. The PLH is realllly lower on the Electron Volt, so it should be a lot mor flippy than my Proton, correct? Also, it has much more dome, my Proton PP is very flat (it has a small shoulder, but then it gets super flat while the electron, plasma and fission have a more progressive dome all the way to the top. Plasma and Fission have even more dome than Electron it appears).

2. My old Proton "patent pending" Volt vs new Plasma Volt

Comparing those two, the PLH is about the same, but the Plasma has way more dome. How will the dome impact flight from your experience? I'm hoping for a bit more glide. As a sidenote : I must say my Proton PP Volt is quite overstable for my arm. I don't think I can push it on a straight release much past 270, no turn at all.

3. My old Proton "patent pending" Volt vs new Fission Volt

Quite a lower PLH on the Fission one, and more dome (can't tell from picture). I'm expecting this one to have a nice turn and more glide. What do you think?

4. Neutron patent pending Tesla (left) vs new Plasma Tesla

We can't really tell the PLH on the picture (too dark), but it is a tad higher on the Plasma Tesla. Also, the picture makes it seem like the Plasma is much taller, and although it is taller, it's not as big a gap as the picture shows. I suspect my vantage point was too low.
I expect the plasma to be more overstable, anything else I should expect?

5. Neutron patent pending Tesla (left) vs new special edition Fission Tesla

Those two look quite similar. The PLH is about the same, so I guess the Fission being 10g heavier will fly a tad more overstable?

I appreciate everyone's input. Cheers.

I can't speak to the Teslas, but I can to the Volts. I have one in every plastic from recent runs and I have a Patent Pending Neutron Volt that started my love affair with this disc. All but two of them are right around 173g. I have a 165g Fission and a 167g Electron.

In general, any newer run Volt should be slightly more stable than the Patent Pending Volts in the same plastic.

Brand new, I would say ALL of the plastics have very similar stability. In general the Plasma has the most glide (which can make it seem a little more stable). My Cosmic Neutron isn't too far behind the Plasma, but I think that's because I got a domey one. I don't think they're any more stable, they just stay in the air a little longer which gives them more time to fade.

I have two Fission Volts, one at 172g and one at 165g. Brand new, I can barely tell the difference in the two. That tells me the rumors about Fission plastic not being as affected by weight are true.

My Electron at 167g is my farthest flyer. I'm guessing it's a little less stable combined with the slightly lower weight.

That's a comparison of them all basically new. The Electron is supposed to season fastest, followed by the Fission, then finally the Plasma, Neutron, Cosmic Neutron, and Proton are all supposed to season at about the same rates, but more slowly than the Electron and Fission. If you'll notice, the flight numbers on the Electron and Fission are different. I believe that's what they are supposed to fairly quickly beat in at, not where they are supposed to start.

I'm impatiently waiting for them to offer them in Eclipse plastic so I can have one to use in my massively OS slot.

Had a moment on the course yesterday where I realized I was way overthinking things. Trying to figure out whether a forehand or backhand a Tesla flex line would be better when my vision cleared and I asked myself, self, why don't you just let a Crave do straight ahead Crave things? Parked.

I recognize at least part of that thinking
Mine process usually begins with, can I reach it with the Crave... Heavy or light, Fresh or beat, hyzer, hyzerflip, anny or flat release?

Only if I strike out there do I decide to adjust speed or stability.

I think I can answer the tesla side.. I think it will be in order of most stable to least.. Fission-PP neutron- Plasma

Hard to say though, I threw more PP fission teslas and didn't get neutron until later. The plasma should be the closest ride to your PP.

I think the dome on your volt will make it much more stable regardless of the plh. The newer plasma I had was beefy!!!

I find rather interesting what that you mentioned your plasma volt was the beefiest. Someone else made me realize that the flight numbers were not the same on the electron Volt, so it prompted me to look at the other plastics and mold, and sure enough, the Plasma Volt has the most overstable flight numbers of all of them. Also interesting regarding Plasma, Fission and Electron: none share flight numbers.

For the Tesla, Fission is the least overstable of all the options, while Neutron, Plasma and Proton all share the same flight numbers.

That's a comparison of them all basically new. The Electron is supposed to season fastest, followed by the Fission, then finally the Plasma, Neutron, Cosmic Neutron, and Proton are all supposed to season at about the same rates, but more slowly than the Electron and Fission. If you'll notice, the flight numbers on the Electron and Fission are different. I believe that's what they are supposed to fairly quickly beat in at, not where they are supposed to start.

I'm impatiently waiting for them to offer them in Eclipse plastic so I can have one to use in my massively OS slot.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Volt. I wonder if the flight numbers on the Electron also reflect an average lower PLH from the interaction of the plastic with the mold (I have no clue if it's even a thing - plastic type impacting plh). Anyhow, looking forward to test those out!

I find rather interesting what that you mentioned your plasma volt was the beefiest. Someone else made me realize that the flight numbers were not the same on the electron Volt, so it prompted me to look at the other plastics and mold, and sure enough, the Plasma Volt has the most overstable flight numbers of all of them. Also interesting regarding Plasma, Fission and Electron: none share flight numbers.

For the Tesla, Fission is the least overstable of all the options, while Neutron, Plasma and Proton all share the same flight numbers.

Yeah I got a plasma volt L2 I sent to Streets, to big for my arm. I think it was part of the first batch in the new factory, kinda like cosmic relays.

All volts share the same flight numbers with the exception of fission/electron. All teslas as well except fission which has an extra -0.5 of turn (same as volts). From personal experience my fresh plasma tesla is the least stable after a PP fission and oddly the new run fission came out the most stable with a high plh. Neutron seems to be consistent across any runs I've had but the first neutron tesla I got is the 2020 Halloween se. PP plasma tesla's are the beefiest ever made.

Last edited:
Someone else made me realize that the flight numbers were not the same on the electron Volt, so it prompted me to look at the other plastics and mold, and sure enough, the Plasma Volt has the most overstable flight numbers of all of them.

My Plasma Volt is 8 5 -0.5 2, just like the Proton and Neutron. You have a Plasma Volt with something different shown?

Yeah I got a plasma volt L2 I sent to Streets, to big for my arm. I think it was part of the first batch in the new factory, kinda like cosmic relays.

All volts share the same flight numbers with the exception of fission/electron. All teslas as well except fission which has an extra -0.5 of turn (same as volts). From personal experience my fresh plasma tesla is the least stable after a PP fission and oddly the new run fission came out the most stable with a high plh. Neutron seems to be consistent across any runs I've had but the first neutron tesla I got is the 2020 Halloween se. PP plasma tesla's are the beefiest ever made.

Thanks for sharing, fascinating to me to learn about all the variations. All I knew before coming back last week were the first runs of every of their mold. some 10+ years ago I bought all FR in Neutron : Axis, Vector, Volt, Shock, then the Switch, Envy, Fireball, Tesla then lastly a Proton Volt (all PP). I think I must have gave my FR PP Volt and Shock away cause I can't find them :(.
Anyway, now I learn that they switched factory, that they stopped production of the Switch, Axis and Vector (among others), which were all in my bag. I don't feel like going through all of the previous MVP official threads, but I feel like I might just have to, just to better understand the journey.

My Plasma Volt is 8 5 -0.5 2, just like the Proton and Neutron. You have a Plasma Volt with something different shown?

I was comparing plasma, fission and electron, which all have different flight numbers. My proton volt doesn't have flight numbers on it and I currently don't have a neutron. But you are correct, neuton, proton and plasma share the same flight numbers.

......Anyway, now I learn that they switched factory, that they stopped production of the Switch, Axis and Vector (among others), which were all in my bag. I don't feel like going through all of the previous MVP official threads, but I feel like I might just have to, just to better understand the journey.

You are in luck you waited long enough to come back haha. It was a rough couple years waiting for the new mids. I think you will find it was worth it. They aren't quite the same but the distance potential is huge on the new ones. I also loved the switch and axis many moons ago.

You are in luck you waited long enough to come back haha. It was a rough couple years waiting for the new mids. I think you will find it was worth it. They aren't quite the same but the distance potential is huge on the new ones. I also loved the switch and axis many moons ago.

So, what's your mid set up now? I was thinking of trying a N Hex to replace the N Axis, as it appears to be a direct replacement but I was perhaps tempted to try to cycle Electron Matrix as well. As for the Vector, I'm thinking the Reactor is where it's at, but maybe a Proton Matrix would also work good? What have you tried and what did you end up bagging if you don't mind me asking?

So, what's your mid set up now? I was thinking of trying a N Hex to replace the N Axis, as it appears to be a direct replacement but I was perhaps tempted to try to cycle Electron Matrix as well. As for the Vector, I'm thinking the Reactor is where it's at, but maybe a Proton Matrix would also work good? What have you tried and what did you end up bagging if you don't mind me asking?

I'll pitch in here too. Prior to MVP releasing the updated mids I was throwing the Wasp/Buzzz/Meteor combo. Now I am using the Reactor/Hex/Uplink. I also carry the Pyro but I don't use it as much as the Reactors. In fairness, I didn't throw the matrix or axis much but I know the Matrix is still in production.

The reactor, if eclipse, is very stable, 5 5 0 2...but in fission or neutron it's 5 5 -0.5 1.5. A lot of times I am throwing it about 85% where I need something to stretch longer than the envy but have that reliable fade with no turn in flight. Full rip it can sometimes get a baby turn but I am finding out that at full rip I tend to hyzer the disc a bit so I don't always see the -0.5 of the Reactor or the Volt for that matter.

The Hex is very much like a Buzzz. I did a 1v1 round with a Ledgestone Buzzz (2022 cryZtal) and they flew almost identical lines. Both max weight I'd say the buzzz is just a tick more stable but the hex seemed to always push further by 15'-30'.

The uplink is understable but surprisingly controllable. At 75-85% power it can flip up, have a nice straight flight with a small fade. At full rip and hyzer it flips to flat, turns over and comes back at the end. Full power flat it flies straight and has this late fade and pushes right and pans flat at the end of flight. I want to add that the Uplink is everything I wanted the meteor to be. Every meteor I've owned has been fairly HSS and hard to turnover. Maybe I got bad runs or something but I never jived with it, but i was definitely straighter and held the anhyzer better than the buzzz.

I've also thrown the paradox a ton...it is super fun and super flippy but ultimately for my power I much prefer the uplink. I've considered the paradox for low speed glidey shots that I need to get out of some low cover but also get a decent amount of distance...but the uplink can do that well enough for me as well.

Given this is hte MVP thread...and Mint is technically made by MVP...I am intrigued by the Bobcat/Mustang/Lobster. I have thrown the Lobster and observed it to not be as understable as I expected but I have not thrown the other two.

I think that when throwing gyro, especially the putters and mids where I am confident in my ability to get the right speed and spin on the discs, they do go a bit further than the solo mold comparison discs. So having an Envy and Buzzz causes some overlap because I can stretch the envy into Buzzz range. But replacing the Buzzz with a Hex brings back a little more disparity in distances and less overlap.

My current mid setup is....

Uplink or two.

3 envy

Hahaha. I'd grab a uplink, reactor, hex. They are all fairly desirable, nothing will be a total replacement but it's a nice span between em.

The uplink has the glide of an axis and the control of a theory.

Hex is tangent kind of flight and body, but more of a axis replacement with good glide (but not quite as much) and a lower power requirement. If you used to boot it hard and get it powered up you will like the touch you get with the hex to range. It's a very straight disc though, on par but it doesn't cut the same extreme single angles.

Reactor turns easier than a vector but also holds straight better. It has a more reliable hookup but is less likely to turn and burn when you push it over as far. The vector does 5 degrees of anny before getting touchy, the reactor can shape a full spectrum of turn and always comes back to fade when you want. Depending on weight or if it's eclipse, it's a touch turnover mid or a straight pusher. Spans a huge range of shots in different weights. You will find it is between the axis and vector, kind of.

Not a huge fan of the paradox, it's good but touchy, im investing a lot of time in the uplink. It's the axis for a ten year older and 100' shorter me.

A friend has Electron and Proton Matrixes (Matrices?). I've thrown them but haven't quite figured out what they're going for. Initial impressions are that it lacks a bit of glide and fades gracelessly.

I'm definitely a Reactor fan and prefer the Fission. I think I've thrown all the current production except for the Echo. The Deflector's too much for me. Still trying to sort out Runway vs Pyro for my rationally OS slot. Reactor as the anchor. Didn't quite connect with the Neutron Hex: I probably needed to power it down a bit. I have ordered a Fission Hex though and expect that'll be an excellent straight flyer.

I did succumb and order a Fission Hex. Hoping it'll function as a sort of long Proxy and just keep going.

Separately, I was marveling again the other day at the Crave as a Hokom sig disc. It's not intuitive as a (checks notes) FH option.

Right now MVP owns my 5-speed slots. I'm forehand dominant, and I've been pleasantly surprised by how well even the understable stuff handles torque so well. Neutron Hex is my understable forehand turnover mid, Eclipse Reactor is dead straight with just a tiny bit of fade to finish, and Plasma Prism Pyro is my OS mid. I'm not sold on the Pyro yet. Still need to check out a Deflector, Matrix, and Runway.

Man...I went around trying to find a Glitch today and they are all gone. I knew everyone was excited for this disc but I didn't realize it would sell out so abruptly. Hopefully there is another release soon because I did want to try it out. I was able to pick up a soft Proxy...maybe someone can help me out here but I can't get that disc to turnover. I was using that and a soft neutron envy and it's easy to see the difference on forced anhyzers--the proxy holds it almost to the ground while the envy pulls out of the flex much quicker. But thrown flat, the only difference I am having is a bit less fade. I may not be getting the right spin on the disc I suppose.

My mid set up is Hex, Envy, and now maybe Glitch? It's not really a mid, but I'll use it for approaches and a few drives on shorter holes.

Mail call!

Back from vacation and taking a first stab at answering my own question above. The plasma vanish does seem to be a little stiffer than the wave all things being equal. Closer to the 0/2 of the zenith van to the -3/2 stated flight numbers. Will definitely know more this weekend. And also, happy non-EK eclipse reactor day to me.

Attachments

• C73A31FE-391C-4EB7-AEC0-089489BE2B39.jpg
    C73A31FE-391C-4EB7-AEC0-089489BE2B39.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts