• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come to think of it, I lost my FR eclipse Volt in a pond at Idlewild also...:doh:

my partner was nice enough to remind me the other day of when we went out for a round of dg that i lost my beloved pink plaz volt in the pond behind a basket on hole 1 of this new dg course we never played that was a 9 hole small 1.5/5 course

my partner was nice enough to remind me the other day of when we went out for a round of dg that i lost my beloved pink plaz volt in the pond behind a basket on hole 1 of this new dg course we never played that was a 9 hole small 1.5/5 course

At least it wasn't the plaz ion? If I lose mine......oh boy....

Guys, I'm looking for an MVP/Axiom disc that is similar to the photon but one tick more overstable. Ideally the same rim size, flat top, available in low weights (150s), decent glide and a fade that hooks with some lateral movement at the end rather than a dump. There's a few holes where I need a disc to go straight for a couple of hundred feet and then hook right around a corner and have some carry. Yeah, I know that's a lot of criteria but wanted you your opinion on the the best fit.

Guys, I'm looking for an MVP/Axiom disc that is similar to the photon but one tick more overstable. Ideally the same rim size, flat top, available in low weights (150s), decent glide and a fade that hooks with some lateral movement at the end rather than a dump. There's a few holes where I need a disc to go straight for a couple of hundred feet and then hook right around a corner and have some carry. Yeah, I know that's a lot of criteria but wanted you your opinion on the the best fit.

I don't think that disc exists. By the numbers, it would be an Axiom Thrill...

I have used a 150 LE(Neutron) Motion for that shot. Dead flat top, light weight, pentrating fade after a straight high power portion of the flight.

Do you have a shop to look/feel up plastic?

I'm not really sure if they are actually out there BUT what you need to look for is a flatter than usual high PLH plasma Photon. They sell them down to 155g iirc. But if you can find a plaz with a higher shoulder/plh it should... in theory... be beefy enough but still have the glide for the shot you describe because of the plasmas "extra glide"...

...Like I said, In theory anyway, lol.;)

Never thrown the Thrill and don't know anyone who has but if it flies like a fireball, IME with them, it will go long and straight...and resist turning but dump instead of fade out laterally.

Last edited:
Maybe look at a 150 Fireball? That should cover that shot pretty well, if you ca find them light enough.

What about a step up from what you have... what do you have? A stock 150 Photon? I like brutalbrutus idea of tuning within the mold..

If you have a stock 150 plasma you could step up to a 160 fission.. From what I saw about outside rim weighting you might get better control and a harder panning fade.. I know there's a decent difference between my 143 fissions and my 155. Someone cut them apart and weighed the fission..

The flightplates all weighed the same from 143 to 174, the extra weight was in the rim. IME though the dome is what you should look for haha.. Contradictory information..

Last edited:
How rare are sparkles in Proton? I've got a chartreuse core with white rim Proton Thrill and its plate is really sparkly. I threw it twice since I found it in the used bin at PIAS, but it flies like a FAF Firebird for me. I got maybe 250 on it both FH and BH, and I can get a Z Force out to 330' easily FH, with 370'ish being my norm BH.

It's a smaller rim but the Wrath is good for those shots you're describing. Wrath is easier for straight to fade lines than the Photon which likes to s-curve a bit more. I FH Wraths for that shot you described all the time.

-----------------

Picked up a used 1616 stamped Vanish, a N Thrill and a N Excite today. :thmbup:

I doubt they'll replace anything in the bag but it's always fun to try out discs I haven't yet.

Thanks for all the help guys. One follow up question: will a Proton Photon be any more overstable than Neutron or Plasma?

The orange proton one i have for sale ;)... Has no turn and is pretty beefy. Its too much overlap with my forces.
Mvp/axiom seems to be a crapshoot regardless of plastic choice. Imo

I have the same experience as Emoney. My orange Proton Photon is board flat and is beefy with very little glide. It's closer to my PDX than anything else I have.

My 148g Fission Tour Photon is more OS than the McBeth Destroyers, and it flys in a C shape instead of classic L straight to fade. There are some odd beefy Photons out there, but those are not standard.

I think my Photon must have been one of the freak beefy ones. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) Wraiths fill that slot very nicely so I probably won't revisit the Photon mold. It's in my FSOT stack.

I think my Photon must have been one of the freak beefy ones. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) Wraiths fill that slot very nicely so I probably won't revisit the Photon mold. It's in my FSOT stack.

wraiths are hard to beat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts