• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Think the vanish, inertia, and virus are all very different with the vanish being the most consistent imo. I have a hard time keeping it away but going to try a new/beat inertia combo for striaght/US distance in some field testing now that I found my first Inertia. Virus is a roller or fast turnover disc for me. Given height can fly far and finish right a bit but very easy to flip into a roller with some moderate power.

Also having a hard time figuring out my drivers. I have an octane and 2 mayhems (plasma and netron) 2 fission photons (elaine king and an se max planke) 2 inertias and a wrath currently in there with vanish, virus, volt, and Tesla all braking at their heels lol I doubt I'd need more than a cycle of photons but that's not as fun hahaha

My Proton Vanish is super inconsistent flipper. Haven't thrown my Neutron Inertia for some time, but I feel it was pretty similar to my Plasma Wave; understable bomber with big movement to right, and maybe bit back to left. Neutron Virus is more of a hyzerflip to flat or slow drift to right, good for uphil and slow turnovers.

i threw my insanity again last night

its a great disc and great mold

it also overlaps too much with everything else

i just need to lose a few discs and then ill be riding the insanity train for quite a while

My Proton Vanish is super inconsistent flipper. Haven't thrown my Neutron Inertia for some time, but I feel it was pretty similar to my Plasma Wave; understable bomber with big movement to right, and maybe bit back to left. Neutron Virus is more of a hyzerflip to flat or slow drift to right, good for uphil and slow turnovers.

Maybe I should clarify since I don't disagree in the least:

I can rip my vanish into a decent headwind and given enough hyzer, height, and clean release will take a big, smooth sweeping turnover and settle flat at the end quite gently about 45 degrees and 400 feet to the right (RHBH).

The virus does that for me too but in calm conditions and from a standstill or on a smooth gentle release, but then I may as well just throw a relay. I guess I shouldn't say the virus is inconsistent, I just find the shots I use a vanish for are very consistently performed with it.

The Virus has much more turn and very little fade to zero fade and if I put a bit too much on it or introduce some OAT it's going straight to the ground (which has a usefulness in it's own right). Mind you I found the virus quite stable when new but it's been seasoned and my arm speed has gone from 275' to 450+ on a good rip. I'm sure that's got something to do with making my virus appear more flippy than before I used the form analysis thread.

i threw my insanity again last night

its a great disc and great mold

it also overlaps too much with everything else

i just need to lose a few discs and then ill be riding the insanity train for quite a while

I lost mine before I even truly got to enjoy it but I agree with you. The plasma insanity might be one of the nicest to throw discs out there, but like you I think I"m going to have to lose a few inertias before I replace it and even then I'm not sure I need it.

Why do they make their molds so enjoyable to toss!? It's causing a lot of conflict in a lot of bags I think lol

That being said I've finally realized the wisdom in mold reduction but still struggle with overlap. The reason I don't throw a mixed bag isn't just fanboyism, it's to see the big picture behind the discs. To sort of appreciate and examine just how they interpret the game and how they feel is the best way to attack the course. I find it really fascinating to watch a lineup fill itself out and learn what THEY think are the gaps that need filling.

I would have to assume that the ideal scenario for any manufacturer is to have players use only their discs. I haven't been playing too long but I don't see (from my experience) too many holes in their comparatively more intimate lineup. Each new disc threatens an old one while still being completely unique.

I would have to assume that the ideal scenario for any manufacturer is to have players use only their discs. I haven't been playing too long but I don't see (from my experience) too many holes in their comparatively more intimate lineup. Each new disc threatens an old one while still being completely unique.

I suspect that the new models don't usually threaten an old one, though. Personal preference will lead one player to prefer one of the models that overlap to the other model(s). The next player will choose the other of overlapping models. It allows for greater fine-tuning by players. The mfr gains by selling both instead of having one of the players pick up an overlapping disc made by a different company.

You have to give it to MVP for minimal overlap between models and companies.. With the three companies from what I hear about the Streamline and all the MVP/ Axiom I bag or own the overlap is surprisingly minimal. There's tons of discs and between runs and PLH there is variance but I rarely hear anyone say that "X disc is exactly the same as Y disc".
They all seem to be slightly tweeked, if I stay within say neutron plastic and bag all 165's each disc flies appropriately different. Then I fine tune by tossing in a plasma or heavy proton of a mold and I know what they will do. Pretty happy to be riding the gyro train.

That being said though the freaky effects of Gyro™ when I hop from my normal 155 Inertias to 174's is weird. A fresh 174 will have less fade than a fresh 155 IME. Or when I pop from my normal worn 170 Tangents to 178 freshy it becomes freakish straight.

I've spent too much time figuring out the MVP / Axiom lineup to change now... every now and then there's a few old favourites that pop back in for a while (mostly mids) but I rarely have the urge to try new offerings from other manufacturers.

Last edited:
After taking the Volt out of the bag to really test the Crave/Insanity/Wrath for most of the summer I just put it back. Wow there is no other disc MVP or otherwise that really compares to the Volt. I just picked up 3 new flight #'s Neutrons and each flies beautifully.

I picked up an Ion to see how it might work into my bag. (I spent decades carrying only one putter at a time and I'm currently carrying four. Go figure.) If I could get MVP putters in a super soft, floppy plastic, I could retire my Omegas. Soft Electron just isn't floppy.

I now have a Spin, an Atom, and an Ion for approach duties and chip shots.

I picked up an Ion to see how it might work into my bag. (I spent decades carrying only one putter at a time and I'm currently carrying four. Go figure.) If I could get MVP putters in a super soft, floppy plastic, I could retire my Omegas. Soft Electron just isn't floppy.

I've seen Soft proton and eclipse be a lot floppier than soft electron, it's just not baseline and not as floppy as some omegas got.

That being said though the freaky effects of Gyro™ when I hop from my normal 155 Inertias to 174's is weird. A fresh 174 will have less fade than a fresh 155 IME.

My 174 Relay has less fade than the 155 I bought for my daughter. The 155 resists turning initially more than the 174, but when it does turn it turns harder/faster. So for anyone with low to mid power it's basically a long straight disc....For higher power it's a weird disc for elevation or sky annies. The 174 Relay has seen some good whacks and is developing that slow and constant turn.

I've got a 174 relay too.. I attributed some of my flight to the giant chunk I took out of the rim.. I wanted another Relay and it was the only weight I found. Oddly beefy but really straight. I'm used to 165's.

My 174 Relay has less fade than the 155 I bought for my daughter. The 155 resists turning initially more than the 174, but when it does turn it turns harder/faster. So for anyone with low to mid power it's basically a long straight disc....For higher power it's a weird disc for elevation or sky annies. The 174 Relay has seen some good whacks and is developing that slow and constant turn.

I've found this to be true. Seems the 155 will fly straighter for longer but as soon as it gets up to speed it locks onto a right turn and unless there's height to work with will take some time to come back. My old 174 would flip sooner and less abruptly. Also found it flipped a bit easier as well and didn't fight the turn as much.

I suspect that the new models don't usually threaten an old one, though. Personal preference will lead one player to prefer one of the models that overlap to the other model(s). The next player will choose the other of overlapping models. It allows for greater fine-tuning by players. The mfr gains by selling both instead of having one of the players pick up an overlapping disc made by a different company.

Maybe I mis-spoke. I agree with what you are saying and it's what I was trying to express myself. I just mean that even though I can't really justify having an inertia and an insanity in the bag at the same time because of similarities and overlap, they are unique enough that I WANT to have both in the bag lol I have an octane and some mayhems in the bag now and have a hard time deciding which I like. I agree though that it allows you to fine tune your preference of disc and dial in exactly what you like. They truly know what they're doing.

I picked up an Ion to see how it might work into my bag.

N00b. About ****ing time.

And all this relay talk. Lolz.

After taking the Volt out of the bag to really test the Crave/Insanity/Wrath for most of the summer I just put it back. Wow there is no other disc MVP or otherwise that really compares to the Volt. I just picked up 3 new flight #'s Neutrons and each flies beautifully.

Um duh? Are you the same person?

Last edited:
Hey while I'm here I just got my ass handed to me in a tournament which cost me the series because it was super windy and my fission photons decided they no longer tolerate headwind. They're def worked in but I've never thrown a regular photon so wondering which plastic /weight will be reliable in a strong headwind without being fireball OS. Also open to other mold suggestions I may not have tried yet. Thanks.

Will a proton photon along with a few fissions in different wear stages cover my distance needs you think? I like my octane/mayhems for max distance but the photons would go almost as far and were easier to throw and more versatile. What about a nitro as an OS mayhem complement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts