• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks of dedicated fieldwork, and I feel like I really understand the Proton Insanity(174g) a lot more now. Its become my main workhorse and has kicked the Mantis out of my bag. HW21 Insanity(174g) is more of a utility driver(but I'm afraid of losing it) so I tried out a couple electron Volts for an Overstable fairway, and they've become a go to staple now. thinking of paying with some plastics to see what I really want/like out of it, but its hard to beat 11$ lab seconds. the Fission/Neutron Wave(167g) combo has become deadly as all hell, and I've been really liking the Fission(170g)/C-Neutron(167g) Photon combo for windy days. still can't find a putter that "clicks" with me.

Plasma Servo testing shows .5 more HSS than Neutrons. I'm a fan. I still haven't fallen for a flippy MVP fairway. The Inertia is the leader in the clubhouse, but is almost too fast/long. May revisit the Relay and/or Crave. Neither was what I wanted during the first go 'round. I am a fan of the Fission Reactor and could see one going in sooner rather than later.

Plasma Servo testing shows .5 more HSS than Neutrons. I'm a fan. I still haven't fallen for a flippy MVP fairway. The Inertia is the leader in the clubhouse, but is almost too fast/long. May revisit the Relay and/or Crave. Neither was what I wanted during the first go 'round. I am a fan of the Fission Reactor and could see one going in sooner rather than later.

How is the LSS? Especially interested in how they compare to the Craves you threw.

So, I had been dabbling with trying to see if the Pilot could maybe kick the Envy out of my bag. I had thrown them side by side in a field and the additional glide and distance of the Pilot seemed kind of nice.

Jump to yesterday when I took a pair of Pilots to play a round at my local putter friendly course….

Definitely won't be bagging the Pilot.

When I was field testing them and kind of liking the flight it was pretty calm. Playing with them in 15 ish mph winds was horrible. I can throw the Envy in those types of winds and know what they are going to do but the Pilot was squirrelly and unpredictable.

If I never played in the wind I could definitely see the Pilot having a chance to challenge the Envy for a spot. With 15 mph winds being a relatively calm day around here lately it just isn't going to cut it.

How is the LSS? Especially interested in how they compare to the Craves you threw.

Reliable forward fade. I come from Undertakers, and these are comparable to the older GLO Z UTs that were the most OS. My Crave experience is entirely newer runs, all Hokoms I think. Servos, and especially the Plasma, are shorter, and more overstable, but less finicky and prone to doing something unexpected. I recall that I also had a grip/release issue with the Crave, so my perspective may not be the best here.

I've been playing consistently for the first time in years and I'm trying to catch up on the newer overmolded stuff.

Nomad - Bought a soft that feels like regular. Flight is nice, pretty similar to Ions. Tried it out as a putting putter and while the flight is nice, I like the feel on my Ions better.

Ohm - Another nice mold that didn't make the bag. I like the flight a lot but I've already got so many Proxy's and it didn't do anything for me those don't. I do like the thin feel to it.

Reactor - Replaced the Vector for me. Need to grab a glow version.

Hex - Replaced the Axis. Need to buy another.

Uplink - Heard about it but haven't thrown it. Typically go for flicks instead of turnovers, particularly at putter and midrange distance, so not sure if I should try it.

What other molds do I need to consider trying? Heard the Flare is another new one sounded similar to Fireballs, which I'm very happy with and don't see leaving the bag.

What other molds do I need to consider trying? Heard the Flare is another new one sounded similar to Fireballs, which I'm very happy with and don't see leaving the bag.

Hey good to see ya buddy!

It's been awhile. The Terra might be up your alley.
I haven't thrown it but it sounds like something you might like.

The uplink probably isn't for you with a bag of proxy's. Unless you need something less stable at the end of flight. It's nice though for backhand turnovers and touch shots, it's two steps down from the hex for stability

Uplink - Heard about it but haven't thrown it. Typically go for flicks instead of turnovers, particularly at putter and midrange distance, so not sure if I should try it.

I bag the Flare and have the Uplink as a guest in my bag atm as well.

The Flare is a great disc and even though I haven't thrown a Fireball I imagine it will be a clear notch up in stability from that. This is the most overstable disc I've ever thrown, even compared to my FAF Firebirds and Splices.

The Uplink is a very understable and glidey finesse disc. I have a decent arm (about 450 golf distance) and I can't even think about putting any sort of power behind this disc unless on a very steep hyzer. Obviously the same would most likely apply to you. With that said it powers down beautifully and I've found most use for it when I think of it as an understable putter. I can throw it softly on a hyzer and have it flip up and ride straight for maybe 300. Or I can throw it softly with a flat release and have it turn over. Fun disc to throw but only useful in very few occasions, at least for me.

I've heard that in terms of stability Flare > Motion > Fireball. I don't really have a sdearm game so the speed 9 super OS stuff doesn't get thrown much for me so I don't have much experience here.

I love the terra/volt combo and it has honestly pushed a lot of my speed 9 discs out of the bag. I was rocking the fireball/wrath/insanity as well in the speed 9 but the Terra feels more workable than the fireball ever did and the volts give a nice straight flight with smaller fade, sometimes flexing especially in headwinds. I still bag craves and the insanity though.

Several discs have come out with Fission plastic available and the new Fission feels great. Reactor's just came out with it, Crave's are coming soon, Waves, Photons, etc. Octanes are coming soon as well.

As others have said, MVP focused big on the midrange lineup and we got the Reactor, Hex, Uplink and Paradox. I've liked all of them but with the fission reactors it seems like it should be easy enough to get a rotation going of eclipse, neutron, fission, and beat in fission for most mid range shots.

I love the terra/volt combo and it has honestly pushed a lot of my speed 9 discs out of the bag. I was rocking the fireball/wrath/insanity as well in the speed 9 but the Terra feels more workable than the fireball ever did and the volts give a nice straight flight with smaller fade, sometimes flexing especially in headwinds. I still bag craves and the insanity though.

Have you thrown a cn Volt? I was curious how they compared to the Terra. Obviously different hand feel, but if they're similar flight, I like the Volt in the hand bettet (I've held a Terra but not thrown it).

Have you thrown a cn Volt? I was curious how they compared to the Terra. Obviously different hand feel, but if they're similar flight, I like the Volt in the hand bettet (I've held a Terra but not thrown it).

I bagged Volts for a bit. The cosmic neutron one I had was noticeably beefier compared to my other Volts. In fact, I would often opt to throw it in situations where I would normally reach for a Felon because the flight was similar. Mine had a decent dome to it so I don't know for sure if it was the plastic or the way it molded up or a combination of the two that made it unusually overstable.

My Volts with the most dome are definitely the most overstable regardless of plastic.

I recently put a Terra in the bag and it has a different flight than my Volts. It might be a touch more HSS than most of my Volts but it's glide means it goes farther and carries a ton of lateral distance at the end. My beefy Volts want to get to the ground quickly once the fade kicks in.

My Volts with the most dome are definitely the most overstable regardless of plastic.

I recently put a Terra in the bag and it has a different flight than my Volts. It might be a touch more HSS than most of my Volts but it's glide means it goes farther and carries a ton of lateral distance at the end. My beefy Volts want to get to the ground quickly once the fade kicks in.

That's really good to know-- I'll check out a Terra then! I have a few discs to trade in to my local brick and mortar store, so I may as well give it a shot even if I don't love the hand feel

That's really good to know-- I'll check out a Terra then! I have a few discs to trade in to my local brick and mortar store, so I may as well give it a shot even if I don't love the hand feel

I've not thrown a CN Volt...I had a lab 2nd from the mystery box (neutron) that I really wish I would've kept, in hindsight. It was very straight with a mild fade and had some good stability. I am working on beating in a fission volt right now. I also have a second run bendy James and that thing mirrors the stability of the Terra's but does not glide as much. The terra is a touch deeper of a disc which is possibly what gives it the better glide but I really love how it doesn't dump hard when fading.

I have two Terra's where I am trying to get one to beat in a bit straighter. I have the bendy james volt and the fission. I've heard once the bendy james gets beat up a bit, it starts to fly nice so that is what I am working on. The craves are just perfectly neutral and nearly as far as the volt/terra so they all seem to have their place.

I have an absolute clone of that runway. I love that disc. It's everything a beefy beefy mid should be.

That one's new to me (yesterday) as a second. I have a Neutron Runway at 174 and now this one at 168. I haven't quite found the handle yet, but it feels like this may have more glide. Absolutely agreed on the love though. The Reactors anchor my midrange (one more Fission on the way as mine went swimming this week: darned thing hooked up beautifully straight at exactly the wrong moment), but the Runway's a key complementary disc and probably my primary approach disc (at least the other one is).

That one's new to me (yesterday) as a second. I have a Neutron Runway at 174 and now this one at 168. I haven't quite found the handle yet, but it feels like this may have more glide. Absolutely agreed on the love though. The Reactors anchor my midrange (one more Fission on the way as mine went swimming this week: darned thing hooked up beautifully straight at exactly the wrong moment), but the Runway's a key complementary disc and probably my primary approach disc (at least the other one is).

How's the 168 compare to the heavy one?

How's the 168 compare to the heavy one?

Throwing them together a bit today, I'm slotting the heavier one as an approach desk (paired with an Entropy) and the lighter one as a different flavor of mid (with the Reactor) if that makes sense. The differences are subtle and unsubtle at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts