• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

Nice snag on the release, let me know how that fission envy pans out, I haven't tried one of those in a weight either than 155g.

I got a new pixel, buddy dropped it off with in a gift bag in the shop.. 2024-04-0518.48.306123010578491348545.jpg
The shoulder on the pixel is lower, feels even shallower. Excited to try it out since my friend got a hold of the SE.. briefly.
2024-04-0518.50.43417692343169468326.jpg
I knew he was in a mood, wish I'd tossed anything but an electron haha. I also left it in the yard for 2 days on uneven ground and it picked up a warp.

Nice snag on the release, let me know how that fission envy pans out, I haven't tried one of those in a weight either than 155g.

I got a new pixel, buddy dropped it off with in a gift bag in the shop.. View attachment 336888
The shoulder on the pixel is lower, feels even shallower. Excited to try it out since my friend got a hold of the SE.. briefly.
View attachment 336889
I knew he was in a mood, wish I'd tossed anything but an electron haha. I also left it in the yard for 2 days on uneven ground and it picked up a warp.
The Fission Envy is solid, resonated with me quickly just like the Fission Insanity and Crave did. Consistent on the practice field yesterday on full approaches and used it a few times on the course this morning in 20-25 mph wind holds up very well, nice turn with a fade coming back. Does best on headwind just like the Crave, Rhythm, and Insanity. Realized on the 35th hole hadn't thrown a standstill yet, so I threw one as a second disc behind the Eagle with headwind, about 15 feet short. It's a keeper! I now have some very solid approach putters Envy-Eagle, Plasma, and Fission, Electron Atom Medium, Plasma Entropy, and Plasma Tangent.

My C1 putt off is over. I'm going with the Cosmic Electron Atom Firm over the Pixel Firm. The Atom did very well in the strong wind just like the Pixel a few weeks ago, but the gripping is so much better with the Atom. Someone on a putting thread more than three years ago stated your putter should feel like you're reaching out to shake hands with the basket. With both Atoms that's how it feels for the first time with any putter that I've ever had since I started playing, and I now have found "The Putter". I'll Pick up a second Cosmic..Firm for practice putting, the Medium Atom for long-range putting to mix with my laser Plasma Envy strong wind and under canopy, and the Plasma Nomad fade putting in the woods. Plasma Entropy crosswind putting and approaches dropped a 40-footer today, and when the crosswind is really strong 30 mph plus, I adopt the Prism Plasma Pyro. I really like my putter lineup!

I think the Pitch might actually be better than the Glitch, I get better releases with the Pitch and it feels easier to range. Nice smooth rim and a very similar flight to the Glitch but with a bit more flip up. No wind the Pitch is better for me than a Zone for parking short drives and approaches. I didn't try to FH it but I was time constrainted and needed to figure out if it was going to make my glow bag for the Eclipse, which it does alongside the Glitch and Envy, the Proxy just didn't differentiate itself enough from the other 3 to warrant bagging it.

I picked up an Eclipse Crave solely because the rim was a beautiful pink/purple/blue swirly design, and it's been a mixed bag of results but it has potential, though I bet I'll be throwing my Teebirds over it, at least in a tournament setting, but it has the ability to potentially make my main bag if what I saw earlier is any indication of what it's supposed to do.

I also snagged a Pixel and it's a great driving putter, but that's about it, but I also only have ~10 throws on it. I somehow managed to find an Eagle Envy and it's the Envy I've always imagined y'all are raving about, but again I have even fewer throws with it, so I'll have to wait and see how both it and the Pixel fair given a more proper and longer shakedown test.

DFX Disc has had a restock. Perhaps you'll find something you've been looking for. I picked up a Fission Rhythm 161g, I'm transitioning from a three-step to a four-step and want to see if I can get more out of it compared to my 171g. My Fission Wave, Insanity, and Crave are at 161-163g should fit right in.

I had splashed my Neutron Reactor, but I'm loving my Electron Matrix, so Reactor can wait. I haven't had a Fission Photon since last summer, it's time for another for summer play, but that's coming as a freebie from elsewhere.

It's my second order from DFX Disc, quick delivery Plasma Wave. They know where I'm browsing and specifically targeted me, no other brands offered 😁.

Attachments

• 20240410_120514.jpg
    20240410_120514.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Targeted ads aren't all bad.. haha, kind of funny since I paid for DGCR I haven't had as many pop ups from my local disc shop. I kinda miss it.

Working the new pixel, boy I took a lot more stability off the purple one than I thought. Wow. New one is still good but I gotta thump it pretty hard to get it to spin straight without fading, the purple one is wandering a little but almost no fade.

Getting a real good feel for them with a tilted spiral downhill... something is connecting, can't quite translate it to a flat plain yet but there's some easy distance and very solid snap.

Targeted ads aren't all bad.. haha, kind of funny since I paid for DGCR I haven't had as many pop ups from my local disc shop. I kinda miss it.

Working the new pixel, boy I took a lot more stability off the purple one than I thought. Wow. New one is still good but I gotta thump it pretty hard to get it to spin straight without fading, the purple one is wandering a little but almost no fade.

Getting a real good feel for them with a tilted spiral downhill... something is connecting, can't quite translate it to a flat plain yet but there's some easy distance and very solid snap.
I've really enjoyed the Pixels for putting but I was very surprised by their ability to throw well too. I guess maybe I shouldn't have been given this is Simon we are talking about. But I am looking forward to getting a premium plastic Pixel. The envy isn't going anywhere and I love the watt too...but if I could have just roll with the envy and the pixel that would be a solid throwing putter set up...especially with a beat up understable pixel.

I got the Pixel a bit ago and have had it in my cart for a few rounds. I like it much more than the Watt as a 'max weight' Glitch. The Pixel just seems to go right where I point it.

I'm yet again reminded why I don't like most baseline plastic. I chose Electron Soft (because I like softer putters) and it after a few rounds is already chewed up with rock hits and pavement skips. Like sharp edges on the bead. It's probable that more regular and firm Electron will hold up better, but I don't like the stiffness for some reason. (probably all the years I was spoiled by Vibram Medium)

So I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to stand the chewed up plastic, but as a throwing/putting disc the Pixel is pretty nice!

I hear you on the max weight point and shoot glitch, the pixel is absolutely the next step up for me and it's stealing a lot of glitch shots. It started out taking beat envy shots, it's fairly reliable in that it's straight flying and slow to respond to angles or spin rate. Something near flat will end up with a mostly straight flight path.

It has also helped that I have a patch of gravel or two that I'm concerned about hitting with my soft pixel 😄 It helps me throw extra hard because i don't want to stable out.

The candy store has about a hundred new arrivals.

I brought home a Neutron Reactor 176g to replace the one I lost early last month. I enjoyed throwing standstills with it.

And a Speckled Proton Insanity 166g, first time seeing a Speckled Proton anything. Grip feels great. Will join my Plasma Insanity lefty left Center Fairway. My Fission Insanity down the. Middle with fade, and a good headwind disc. Look forward to seeing how the Proton works out.

I was in the store for about 45 mins, first time seeing a Neutron Impulse, Resistor, and a Cataylist. Also that Cosmic Crave in the photo was a first.

Attachments

• 20240413_113012.jpg
    20240413_113012.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240413_130050.jpg
    20240413_130050.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It seems like I'm the only one struggling with Pixels. but the guy at the Play It Again Sports counter had told me the same thing for himself the gripping. On any type of throw, I can feel the disc coming loose during my swing and I only threw a decent standstill with it. I did drop in a 120 footer, but it's on a second throw after an eagle Envy. The Putting was good enough and it was real solid in 25 mph wind. but had picked up two electron atoms one of them a cosmic firm. the gripping which is so much better and after yesterday's rounds of 30 mph wind solid putting but still some misses as always that kind of wind. so it's pretty easy today to decide to trade in that pixel for the two pickups today and I trade it in both soft and firm pixels.

For the first time I feel like I found my putters both in medium and firm Atom when they hit chains they pop and they're straight in whether I'm from C1 or out to a 92 ft drop about a week ago. I'll pick up a second firm for practice and will be used for C2 and in. the medium will be for long distance putting and approaches.

@lee76007 Glad to hear the atom is that awesome! I really like them, I just like the envy a touch more haha.

If you are absolutely convinced that you are ready to settle down then it is time to commit. Buy 10 of them, put your money where your mouth is, you will thank me later. If you currently own two and purchase another 10 then it is six times the putting with the same amount of walking

My plan all along was to find a favorite putter, then get ten of it. But, settling on a favorite has been much harder than I expected. I got up to 6 Judges when I found a Soft Magnet I liked much better. Got 2 of them, then 3 Pures. Next was about 7 Fierces. Currently, I am wavering between 5 Jawbreaker Banger GTs and 6 Pixels. So, thing is I am now finding the putters I like are all similar - very straight, 2-3 speed, 3-4 glide. But, using the Fierce as an example, the variations even among them is so much that my favorite Fierces fly more like my favorite Bangers and Pixels, than like another Fierce that is wildly under stable. So, kind of thinking any 10 putters that meet my guidelines of flying very straight, 2-3 speed, 3-4 glide, and feel good in my hand, work as being part of my ten putters for practice. I mean, it feels like I am better off mixing up the putters, rather than using 10 Fierces, when I really only like about 5 of them, and love 1 of them. So, currently, I bag 4 putters: my favorite Pixel and favorite Jawbreaker Banger GT, both battling for main putter duties, my favorite Fierce for go right shots, and a Proxy because it recently overtook the Pure for go left duties. Convoluted, but that is where I am at right now. Normally I practice with the 4 in my bag, plus 6 more of mostly Bangers and Pixels right now. Then, every now and then I break out all of my probably 75 putters, and have a putter competition day. Everybody gets a chance to try to fight their way up to making the top ten, or the 4 that go in my bag. The last shakeup I had was when the Proxy overtook the Pure for go left duties. The recent major surprise was the Pixel jumping right into my main putter mix when I thought Jawbreaker Banger GT had finally locked that down for good. Fun stuff!

Yeah you know I think it's one of those things that when you know you know. I can't remember who said that but they were in a disc golf shop and the guy said " just find a putter that you like the feel of and marry it". That is about the quickest way to sum it up, any disc will work and if you like the feel of it you will stick with it. Best thing I ever did for my putting was settle in on the 10 envy (+ haha) for 10yrs.

The pixel was a surprise threat to my bag lineup as well, it started to crawl its way in the like the glitch... i noticed when I didn't have it and missed it. Took it out for a casual competitive round and had a very good day... it's now in the bag. I also really like the ohm, fantastic disc and flight but it feels a touch wide. The pixel feels better and flies similar to my broken in ohm, the electron adds some glide and softness and I can throw it confidently. I'm going to be curious what the wear cycle is for two of em by the end of summer.... I wouldn't mind buying one a season but if I need two or more it's gotta be lowering my scores a lot.

Last edited:
My plan all along was to find a favorite putter, then get ten of it. But, settling on a favorite has been much harder than I expected.

I have had a very similar struggle. I had a realization late 2022 that plenty of pros have switched from one brand to another (Without having a custom putter made) and are still successful putters. At that point I realized that I kept blaming not having that magical unicorn putter instead of just working hard at putting. Like Throwa said above this post, I went to a store and felt a bunch of putters that had flight numbers like what I knew I would like and settled on the Anode. I swore I would use it for a year since that would be the longest run of the same putter since 2020 for me. It went really well but I was waiting for the Pixel and made the switch to that. No looking back now for me.

I think there is this theory propagating that everyone just has this magical experience when the right putter is in their hand and until that day you must spend hundreds of dollars finding the right one. Looking back at the inordinate amount of money I spent on putters over the last five years I am jealous of Throwa who found one that felt good, bought ten (perhaps a few more) and just stuck with it and moved on in life.

tl;dr don't waffle too much longer, pick one and stick to it and your game will benefit far more than a 'theoretically' better putting disc will.

I think there is this theory propagating that everyone just has this magical experience when the right putter is in their hand and until that day you must spend hundreds of dollars finding the right one. Looking back at the inordinate amount of money I spent on putters over the last five years I am jealous of Throwa who found one that felt good, bought ten (perhaps a few more) and just stuck with it and moved on in life.

tl;dr don't waffle too much longer, pick one and stick to it and your game will benefit far more than a 'theoretically' better putting disc will.
Haha I went through a lot of putters before finding some DGCR advice that basically said "Get a stack of em". I used to pack 4 or 5 different molds, bunch of flippy stuff that didn't do it in the wind...I was a bit wrong when I said "you will know", you might know.. the thing I knew is that it didn't feel annoying in any way and it was comfortable... the rest was a lot of work and basically telling myself there is no going back and that there will be no more test driving. The pixel has been problematic haha.

Ok, you people win. Or more accurately, the course won this morning. I have an Envy sized hole in the bag. Adore the Proxy for floaty and/or anhyzer approaches. The Tempo has legs but seems to need a bit of power to do good things. Same with the Entropy if I need some positive, stable movement. So the straight/stable counterpart to the Proxy is what we're after. That might still be a Proton Atom, but I'm kind of keeping the Atom for circle one putting. Thoughts on which Envies are more likely to be stable and which are more likely to be a bit twitchy and turn over?

@mas30066 almost share the same disc's. Same with me on the Plasma/Eclipse Proxy i have, and Plasma Entropy. Waiting for the Proton Tempo release. I now putt C1 Electron Atom Firm the past few weeks.

Your asking about the Envys. I've spent the past few weeks transitioning from a three-step to a four-step. In the photos I was throwing left to right measuring distance. I'm LHBH. The orange disc ahead Eagle Proton Envy turns and fades back in. Yellow disc short left Fission Envy turns with ending fade. Not shown a Plasma Envy and Eclipse long turn sometimes ending fade. I can take either the Eagle or Fission to keep it straight, just a distance separation.

The pink disc on the right, flies dead straight, my best putter approach to counter the Proxy, an Electron Medium Atom.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20240408_105558.jpg
    20240408_105558.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240408_104830.jpg
    20240408_104830.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ooh ooh me me!!! Haha

I dont know if theres a turnover twitchy one, personally i would stay away from: neutron soft and prism plasma. My only fission is a 155g and its below grade for an envy as well 165g in other plastics are nice, the light one didn't do what I thought.

That said pick an electron up in your desired firmness (its cheap and you get to see the cycle faster) and pick up a premium one. Something in plasma, neutron or proton and give it a go. Neutron seasons to be the straightest, eclipse glow is a stable one, the new Eagle Proton develops turn quickly but has more slow speed stability. I always liked plasma.

"Twitchy" came from the Prism Plasma which I had for a while. Absolutely gorgeous but not a help on the course, necessarily. When I've thrown Electron, they behave like my Proxy. Obviously, operator error is always going to be a potential culprit in either scenario. Maybe I'll start with the Eclipse and see if I need to back down from there.

@Moose33 will appreciate the specific scenario: Oregon Park 3 Gold is a relatively short par 4 (maybe 400?) with a constricted tee shot and a steady rise in elevation. My standard play is a Motion FH off the tee for position to access the right/lower fairway, chew up distance on the second, and then approach on the third (playing for a steady par). I've tried everything in the bag on that approach shot, FH and BH, and I can go long of the pin (steep drop off) and down toward the tennis courts in every conceivable way.

"Twitchy" came from the Prism Plasma which I had for a while. Absolutely gorgeous but not a help on the course, necessarily. When I've thrown Electron, they behave like my Proxy. Obviously, operator error is always going to be a potential culprit in either scenario. Maybe I'll start with the Eclipse and see if I need to back down from there.

@Moose33 will appreciate the specific scenario: Oregon Park 3 Gold is a relatively short par 4 (maybe 400?) with a constricted tee shot and a steady rise in elevation. My standard play is a Motion FH off the tee for position to access the right/lower fairway, chew up distance on the second, and then approach on the third (playing for a steady par). I've tried everything in the bag on that approach shot, FH and BH, and I can go long of the pin (steep drop off) and down toward the tennis courts in every conceivable way.
Yeah that prism one just ain't right, I lost it for a few weeks when it turned (and held) unlike any envy I'd ever thrown straight out of the box... anything is better than that prism plasma. You are right an electron envy is pretty similar to a proxy....

Eclipse is always handy, good luck!