• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Ion?

Yeah Frank, the bead is a lot bigger. All the M Ions I checked at Gotta Go Gotta Throw molded up with bigger beads.

I just got back from driving my Ions in the practice field and lemme just say I couldn't be happier.

We are currently experiencing 23-29 mph winds here in the Twin Cities and the M Ion performed beautifully. The bigger bead on the M Ion does add some stability. I tested my two soft 174gs against my Medium 175g into headwinds and the Medium showed a definite advantage. Normally into a headwind my softs will flip up from hyzer to straight or sometimes flip into a slight anny. The M held its line and only flipped into the strongest of headwinds.

There are a few things I am predicting the Soft will execute better though. I presume that the softs will be better on tight wooded holes where you need a disc to drop dead on a hit. I also am guessing that the softs will be better for holding annies compared to the Ms.

More testing is needed, however with the Ms excelling at putting and driving .....my new M Ion easily pushed my second soft out of the bag.

Why would they change the disc, and add the bead? The Softs are a big hit. Why mess with success? I was going to get a few Mediums, but if they all have that bead I don't think it's for me. Bummer. I hope this is just a blip, and an error with the batch. Otherwise we have another Innova that has discs with the same name, molded differently, and flying differently.

Slap a different name on the Mediums and give us an Ion like the original but with the firmer plastic.

My first run soft Ions all have a pretty decent sized bead, and they're a little sharp, the only reason I don't really drive with them....but I toss the hell out of some Ions.

\/\/

I like the idea of the bigger bead on the mediums. Now I can carry 2 Ions and have each specialize in things just a little different.

Been using my Core on putter length shots where I need a harder fade; do the mediums fade harder?

I received my Ion "M" on Saturday, and after seeing WH's post I went to review if either of mine had that much of a difference in the beads....

For my discs, there isn't hardly any difference between the bead size of my soft and medium Ions. I received the medium directly from MVP, so I know for a fact it's a true medium (plus, it's marked "M" on the bottom of the flight plate). Plus, its is stiffer than the soft. My soft and medium Ions have a bead more similar to WH's medium Ion than his soft.

The medium is more stable than the soft, but not overwhelmingly so. It flies very nicely, and as stated previously, due to it's weight being mainly peripherally located it requires more snap than the average putter to attain the maximum glide inherent to the disc.

Why would they change the disc, and add the bead? The Softs are a big hit. Why mess with success? I was going to get a few Mediums, but if they all have that bead I don't think it's for me. Bummer. I hope this is just a blip, and an error with the batch. Otherwise we have another Innova that has discs with the same name, molded differently, and flying differently.

Slap a different name on the Mediums and give us an Ion like the original but with the firmer plastic.

They didn't change the disc, don't worry. They didn't add a bead, it is only more exposed on the mediums.The mold isn't any different. The black ring seems to just sit a bit higher on the mediums, revealing more of the bead that is slightly hidden on the softs.

Good news!

They didn't change the disc, don't worry. They didn't add a bead, it is only more exposed on the mediums.The mold isn't any different. The black ring seems to just sit a bit higher on the mediums, revealing more of the bead that is slightly hidden on the softs.

Very cool. That was my next question now that I had a few beers at dinner and can think clearly. So it looks like I'll have to grab a couple mediums to try out. thanks.

Anyone know where I can still buy the soft Ions? I have one that I love for putting and would like to pick up a backup for practice and in case something happens to my number one.

Do all the retailers know there is a difference in the mediums and the softs?

Edit: Never mind, I just found them on Disc Golf Center. They have them separated by Soft and Medium.

Last edited:
Seems some of the retailers are slow to catch up on their web sites. Better call to make sure they have them in stock before ordering.

I'm pretty sure they did this on purpose. MVP sent me the proto mediums a while ago and they have the overmold obscuring the bead in places and they fly much less stable. I discussed this issue with them and I know they were working on a way to mold the overmold more consistently symmetrical.

In my opinion MVP is getting better at molding and will continue to do so. This new medium run represents the most polished product they have put out to date. I think the next big run of stamped Ions are going to be awesome (I hope they are just like these blues).

Jax11, all mediums ,as of this time, are labeled with the letter M. All softs are just labeled with only the weight. I don't know if future runs of softs will carry the letter S or not.

Mediums are marked as so:
2uogwn7.jpg

I'm pretty sure they did this on purpose. MVP sent me the proto mediums a while ago and they have the overmold obscuring the bead in places and they fly much less stable. I discussed this issue with them and I know they were working on a way to mold the overmold more consistently symmetrical.

In my opinion MVP is getting better at molding and will continue to do so. This new medium run represents the most polished product they have put out to date. I think the next big run of stamped Ions are going to be awesome (I hope they are just like these blues).

I think that when they did their testing of the softs at Gotta Go, they must have been testing Ions with the hidden bead. This would explain the -1.5 high speed stability rating on Joe's Flight Chart. I think if they were to test the new mediums with the exposed bead they would get a much more stable rating.

I think that when they did their testing of the softs at Gotta Go, they must have been testing Ions with the hidden bead. This would explain the -1.5 high speed stability rating on Joe's Flight Chart. I think if they were to test the new mediums with the exposed bead they would get a much more stable rating.

I agree 100%. I have thrown all incarnations of the Ion, and I would rate them at -.5/1/1. I think the first runs are lighter and molded up to be flippier, but the softs with nice beads and the new mediums are much more HSS.

Hello all, just stopping in to see how everyone that has received the Mediums are liking them. We sold out on this first run within a few short days, and we are making plans for making our large production run in the near future! This time, with some of the same colors of the softs, and a few more other colors we have ordered.

This is correct. With our Mediums, we were keeping a very close eye on how we ran them. We wanted to be sure to eliminate any flashing or overmolding quirks. We were striving to maintain quality, and maximizing our consistency. When comparing the softs to the mediums they are almost identical, with the mediums having a slightly cleaner looking bead. I am not sure why Waddly Hobbins pic comparing the two seems as if the mediums bead is that much larger, as the beads are generally quite similar, with the mediums bead being just a tick larger with the cleaner overmold.

I am anxious to hear how everyone likes the Mediums, so please feel free to throw out your experiences/reviews.

If you have any questions about the mediums, new runs, or anything, feel free to shout.

Thanks,
~Chad

Last edited:
Jax11, all mediums ,as of this time, are labeled with the letter M. All softs are just labeled with only the weight. I don't know if future runs of softs will carry the letter S or not.

Mediums are marked as so:
2uogwn7.jpg

Yep, all mediums will have the 'M' and as for the softs... the later half of our production run did have an 'S' on them. All softs and mediums will be marked this way from now on.

I really like that we get this kind of communication direct from the manufacturer. Thanks, Chad!

I really like that we get this kind of communication direct from the manufacturer. Thanks, Chad!
Not a problem! I am just as involved in the sport as much as anyone here, so its my pleasure to be able to talk to the players. Its wonderful to receive your feedback as it only helps us when it comes to creating and supplying everyone with our products. I really couldn't be any happier to ask/answer any questions. I am not just the manufacturer, I am a player too! :D

~Chad

I am not sure why Waddly Hobbins pic comparing the two seems as if the mediums bead is that much larger, as the beads are generally quite similar, with the mediums bead being just a tick larger with the cleaner overmold.

I think what happened is that WH had one of the softs with the bead partly obscured/flashed over on one side and compared that side to the new medium. So in other words, that is one of the worst examples of the low overmold in the soft Ions compared to the improved mediums. Most softs I've seen are exactly halfway between the two pictured.

I've only played one round with my blues, but I'll be throwing them some more tonight and I will be posting later describing the flights.

Once again, thanks to Chad and MVP for proving that quality control and injection molding are not mutually exclusive (pretty much the line given by most the other DG companies when someone calls them out on shoddy QC).