• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Ion?

I like my standard driving grip on it when throwing; in fact love it and was really pestering a couple of less experience friends by driving it a good deal further than their drivers. Was trying to encourage them to use their putters for a while and one didnt even carry a putter....

Putting and approach, I use a fan grip with the index finger on the bottom of the nose.

BTW, I didnt realise they float and was suprised to see the creek pushing it down stream. I didnt just go in after the disc, I went running through the creek, tripped and just barely kept from falling to get my Ion. It WAS NOT getting away.

Ion Putter, Soft , Standard , 173 , Lt. Green

Have one for sale. $12 includes shipping. NO ink at all. Practiced twice with it. Has the black edge with the lime green interior.

Just bought one this weekend, and it appears that w/ a little more practice, the ION will find room in the bag.

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to reply here so I could introduce myself. I am Chad Richardson, designer and producer of the Ion putter. I have been following this thread for a bit and seen that it has really taken some interest and thought I should stop and answer any questions and make announcements here.

I figured I would throw in my post I put up on the PDGA boards that introduces what the Ion putter is, why it was designed, and the performance advantages that result from such enhancements. Here is my quote:

About the ION.

There were a handful of key concepts that I wanted to implement into designing the disc.

Primarily, create a putter that would enclose a strip of plastic made of a different material, around the outermost diameter of the disc.

The route we have chosen to execute this was to use a two stage injection molding process. We have our mold base and two sets of inserts that fit the mold. The first set of inserts produce what we call the 'core' part of the disc. The core is the central portion of the disc seen from the pictures. Then, we exchange out the first set of inserts with the second set. With the second set in place, we take a previously ran core and position it into the second set of inserts, which encase the core. With the core inside these inserts, we inject what we call the 'overmold' portion of the disc around the circumference. The overmold is the dense, grippy, rubber-like plastic on the leading outside edge of the disc.

Why a different plastic along the circumference of the disc?

The number one reason for this is that it would enable us to mold a VERY soft and grippy plastic along the leading edge of the disc to grab the chains. With the core in the middle of the disc, we can have any flexibility we choose without sacrificing the ability to stop the disc on the chains. With two plastics being used, there are a multitude of creative combinations we are brewing up that may be seen in the future.

Comfort. We want this disc to feel comfortable in your hands. A putter needs to feel perfect in order to have a clean release, allowing for an accurate shot. A concern that was taken into close consideration was joining the two different plastics together. We wanted to avoid any significant ridges/grooves/protrusions/channels/holes/etc where the two plastics meet that could affect performance and overall feel of the disc. We wanted the disc to feel as if it were just one piece. Doing so, we have attached the two parts together using both a mechanical and chemical bond. The mechanical bond, being the distinct 'puzzle piece' link between the two plastics lets the overmold lock onto and around the core. Along with this, the combination of plastics we use are chemically bonded to one another. When the overmold plastic is injected into the mold and around the core, it melts and bleeds onto and around the core for a solid union. These unique bonds can be seen from the cross section figure below. Another major factor that went into the design was the increased radius on the inside of the rim meeting the flight plate. With this feature, your fingers literally conform to the inside of the disc. You have to hold one to really appreciate how nice the smooth contours make these discs feel. With the smooth rounded edges, you will have a much cleaner release while putting, making approach shots, and even driving! We did not want to have any sharp corners or pressure points on this disc, just a putter that feels 'just right'.

2a65aae.jpg

With the designed profile of the disc, I was aiming for a stable to slightly understable flight. The rounded edge on the inside of the rim and dense rubber-like plastic on the overmold has made the disc very gyroscopic. With the added weight along the outside of the disc, it keeps the disc spinning longer, and holding the line at which you release the disc at. With the gyroscopic forces at work, this allows the disc to be released hyzer for slow gentle hyzer shots, long smooth straight shots, and reliably consistent anhyzers.

Here are some specifications of the ION:
Diameter: 21.0 cm
Height: 1.9 cm
Rim Depth: 1.6 cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 18.8 cm
Rim Thickness: 1.1 cm
Rim Depth/Rim Diameter: 7.6 cm

Currently, we are making our ION core with our Proton line of plastic, and our Electron line of plastic used for the overmold. We use polyurethane for our plastics, which is a polymer widely known for being one of the most durable plastics available in the disc golf market. The unique advantage about the polyurethane we have available to us, is we have a vast variety of flexibilities of polyurethane. We can produce our discs in a wide range of flexibilities to suit all needs of firmnesses. One of the great things about our available polyurethane is that we order the exact flexibility we want and it comes straight to our factory exactly how we want it. There is no mixing, no blending, and no guess work. This enables us to keep our runs extremely consistent. With our batches of polyurethane, we will be able to order that same batch at a later date, run more from the new batch, and have them turn out to be just like that of the previous batch(s). We have prototyped a variety of flexibilities of our polyurethane and will be determining which we will start to put on the market. So far all of our first runs and second runs have been in our Soft Proton plastic core. We have on our way, material for our Medium Proton plastic coming soon. Our Soft Protons are a semi flexible and pliable feeling disc for those who like a soft semi flexy putter. We are planning on having our mediums to compliment our soft ones in the near future.

Our Soft first runs. We have run one large batch for our Soft first run that is comprised of a blue Soft Proton core, and a red Electron overmold. These all weigh around 164-168 grams. We have less than two boxes left of our first runs left at the factory, as the rest have been sold to various retailers already.

21jrb6r.jpg

Our Soft second runs. Our goal was to bring the ION up to the max weight range and to try out a few different colors. We did, in fact, start producing them in heavier weights in a combination of 5 different colors. We have blue, green, red, yellow, and a peach/orange color all varying around 170-175 grams. We have already started shipping these to some of our retailers.

2n6djwl.jpg

2ise4nq.jpg

I would like to say thanks to everyone here and that I feel very welcomed to these boards! All of your support is much appreciated and very beneficial to us, and growing our sport!

Chad Richardson

Medium Ions...long story short, We just finished our first Medium Ion run a few days ago and are already being shipped to a few retailers right now! This was our first run of these and already have plans in making a larger production run in the short future!

Here is a pic of them:
wrcmfq.jpg

All I have to say is that these Mediums are absolutely astounding! I can assure that these babies are going to go along great with our softs. If you prefer a stiffer putter for your shot, this is precisely what you are going to love, they are the perfect rigidity. All of them are a light smooth blue color, and of course with our unique grippy black rubber overmold! and were weighing around 170-175.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to answering any questions and giving you heads up of any new developments. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I will gladly help.

Thanks,
~Chad

The Ion definetely absolutely definetely floats in water?

I don't believe it does. Did the disc perhaps land upside down in the water? I have had this happen with numerous other discs, but they technically don't float, just happen to land luckily upside down like a boat.

TBH I am not sure how it was laying. I saw it floating away and ran and grabbed it without a 2nd thought. I guess I could fill up a bath tub and drop it in and see what happens if I remember to.

A question for Discspeed or Chad:

How would you describe the rigidity/feel of the mediums? Are they stiff are do they flex a little bit?

I thought I saw earlier that Discspeed compared them to Gateway Soft plastic. Are they fairly hard like a Soft Wizard, or are they still fairly gummy/grippy?

How would you describe the rigidity/feel of the mediums? Are they stiff are do they flex a little bit?

I thought I saw earlier that Discspeed compared them to Gateway Soft plastic. Are they fairly hard like a Soft Wizard, or are they still fairly gummy/grippy?
Well, with the Ion plastic being a premium plastic, its sorta tricky to compare them to others. I would compare it to a semi stiff dx, or a stiffer soft S plastic when its compared to rigidity. As for overall texture, its the same as our soft Ion in grip.

Overall, if you like our Soft Ions, but want something with less flex, closer to stiff, this is exactly what you are going to want!

This is what I've been waiting for!

Can't wait to head to Marshall St. and compare the two.

Will you begin hot stamping on the next run? How big will the stamp be, I really did the plain look.

This is what I've been waiting for!

Can't wait to head to Marshall St. and compare the two.

Will you begin hot stamping on the next run? How big will the stamp be, I really did the plain look.

We do plan on trying to hotstamp them on the next run. The stamp will be a nice balanced size, nothing thats going to cover an extremely large area of the disc, but not tiny. As for the plain look, we can totally relate to that, we know many love to dye them and prefer no stamp. This is not an issue as we can always pull out any for anyone that wants blank Ions. So, if anyone prefers a nonstamped Ion, we can do that for you, just shoot me an email on what flexibility, color, weight you prefer and I can get you what you would like.

We do plan on trying to hotstamp them on the next run. The stamp will be a nice balanced size, nothing thats going to cover an extremely large area of the disc, but not tiny. As for the plain look, we can totally relate to that, we know many love to dye them and prefer no stamp. This is not an issue as we can always pull out any for anyone that wants blank Ions. So, if anyone prefers a nonstamped Ion, we can do that for you, just shoot me an email on what flexibility, color, weight you prefer and I can get you what you would like.

Now this is a great offer.

I've got some of the new mediums coming to me to test. Word is that they are flatter than the protos I've been testing, so I'm excited to compare. I'll let you guys know how they fly as soon as physically possible.

For those of you that have been holding out for the Medium Ions, I think you will not be disapointed. I picked one up today and I am very satisfied.

I went through a stack of say 25-30 at the store today to check consistency in the molding and differences compared to the softs. All of the mediums have share some certain differences compared to the softs, namely three things. The bead on the bottom is much more pronounced than the softs. I would say the beads are slightly larger than say a Challenger, yet not near as big as a wizard or focus. The shoulder of the mediums are up higher and finally the flight plates are super flat w/o seeing any of them slightly sunken like some softs. This leads to the medium feeling slightly larger/ more "deep dish"-esque, not extremely so, but there is a difference.

The firmness is spot on in my opinion. I can still grip into the disc while it doesn't feel floppy at all. When it comes to putting, I think the M Ion will dominate. I have yet to fully test driving with them, so I will reserve my judgment on that till later.

Here are so me pictures:

175g M Ion:
302b8lw.jpg

S Ion (left) M Ion (right) showing difference in beads:
1z5j2bm.jpg

For those of you that have been holding out for the Medium Ions, I think you will not be disapointed. I picked one up today and I am very satisfied.

I went through a stack of say 25-30 at the store today to check consistency in the molding and differences compared to the softs. All of the mediums have share some certain differences compared to the softs, namely three things. The bead on the bottom is much more pronounced than the softs. I would say the beads are slightly larger than say a Challenger, yet not near as big as a wizard or focus. The shoulder of the mediums are up higher and finally the flight plates are super flat w/o seeing any of them slightly sunken like some softs. This leads to the medium feeling slightly larger/ more "deep dish"-esque, not extremely so, but there is a difference.

The firmness is spot on in my opinion. I can still grip into the disc while it doesn't feel floppy at all. When it comes to putting, I think the M Ion will dominate. I have yet to fully test driving with them, so I will reserve my judgment on that till later.

Here are so me pictures:

175g M Ion:
302b8lw.jpg

S Ion (left) M Ion (right) showing difference in beads:
1z5j2bm.jpg

olddood.JPG

Mmmmmmm

got a chance to throw an ion down a hill yesterday. hole 16 at casitas. a REAL downhill shot...maybe 100' elevation drop. threw low with hyzer at about 60%. oh...my...ion....i thought it would hook up and fade at some point, but nope. straight as an arrow, coming to rest pin high and about 20' right. there isnt a better driving putter for downhill shots.:clap: