• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Ion?

The mediums are seriously awesome putters! Man, I can't wait until they get released and you guys get to throw them. I like getting protos to test, but its getting to the point where I'm excited for others to try them!

You say this as if I don't try to not hit trees. I'm gonna start aiming for them, that way I may miss some.

That honestly used to work for me. Key term is used to.

I haven't had any problems with roll aways yet, I've actually been surprised by how well it skips forward if I accidentally worm burn it.

I am not drinking the ION Kool Aid....maybe I just have not learned the disc but it doesnt have enough float for me to usa as a putter. I am a touch putter though..I would guess that for those who like to bang chains with authority this might be disc to have. Doesn t work for me...I am toying with it as an approach disc but have not figured it out yet

Sorry troll, the ION is the real deal. It's revolutionary.

Sorry but I think using "revolutionary" is just a bit of a stretch. The Declaration of Independence was revolutionary. With regards to our community, the invention of DG was revolutionary. Maybe it's your favorite disc and other's favorite disc, but what makes it revolutionary? How is it better than an Aviar? Plus, I've been hearing similar buzz about the Vibram…

yeah youre right. i havnt seen any real progression in disc design in the 20 years ive been throwing plastic. the valk, firebird, boss, destroyer, and katanas arent REALLY note-worthy advancements. :\

nobody said anything to the contrary. How is the Ion a note-worthy advancement besides its appearance? Is it so advancing that you think all of the up and coming pros will be using them?

I'm not hating on the Ion at all. I'm just trying to get a better understanding and justification of it being called revolutionary and a note-worthy advancement. If all of the top 10 pros picked one up today and started practicing and using it daily, would any of their scores improve in the future because of the Ion?

its the straightest, fastest putter out there. very easy to control which angle it locks in at and, when it hooks up, it holds that angle for the entire duration of the flight. its sexy to me because its extended my comfortable putter approach range by about 30'. putting with it took some getting used to, but im convinced its the straightest putter out of the box in the world. drops a little bit more than the wizards i was using, but the uber predictable flight path has quickly carved out a place in my bag.

I keep going back to my original Aviar.....Its like I'm married to Aviar but have these worthless flings with other putters.....Miss Ion is the flavor of the month

I am sure it works very well for some people but for me.....ahhhh pass...I'm holding onto it hoping that the first runs are worth some loot one day!

drops a little bit more than the wizards i was using

Why I hate it as a touch putter....I thought the Rhyno was bad...my Rhyno liked to kiss the cage and drop to earth...the ion likes to kiss the base of the pole!

Sorry but I think using "revolutionary" is just a bit of a stretch. The Declaration of Independence was revolutionary. With regards to our community, the invention of DG was revolutionary. Maybe it's your favorite disc and other's favorite disc, but what makes it revolutionary? How is it better than an Aviar? Plus, I've been hearing similar buzz about the Vibram…

nobody said anything to the contrary. How is the Ion a note-worthy advancement besides its appearance? Is it so advancing that you think all of the up and coming pros will be using them?

I'm not hating on the Ion at all. I'm just trying to get a better understanding and justification of it being called revolutionary and a note-worthy advancement. If all of the top 10 pros picked one up today and started practicing and using it daily, would any of their scores improve in the future because of the Ion?

The Ion's noteworthy advancement is the overmold process and how it allows them to manipulate weight distribution in the disc. The disc is made of two different plastics. The overmold plastic (the outside ring) is much denser and heavier than the core plastic. The result is more weight on the outside of the disc. This is magnified by the fact that the Ion mold already has most of its weight distributed on the outside. This makes the disc more gyroscopic and helps it spin longer. The overmold plastic also gets better action off the chains and other objects than regular premium plastic putters get.

There are a lot of other things that people like about the Ion, but those are individual preference. The above is what makes it different. And it does fly farther than almost any other putter I've thrown, and it flies straight at a wide range of speeds.

discspeed you always make me feel so dumb......so would you agree that its a better approach disc in the hands of a finesse putter like myself?

discspeed you always make me feel so dumb......so would you agree that its a better approach disc in the hands of a finesse putter like myself?

i was thinking the same thing. Spin is not always a good thing when it comes to putters (if the Ion is labeled as a putter). The push putters (Feldberg, Climo) put very minimal spin on their putts. what type of disc is MVP labeling the Ion as or are they?

and yes, discspeed is a plastic aficionado.