• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Wave

not really inconsistent like blizzard anything outside of the FRs. MVP doesn't make crazy domed discs or the same mold with a PLH which fits under the other etc. Sure some have their faults and MVP isn't perfect but ive never found a MVP disc to be weirdly domey or out of shape like many, many other brands.

Again, they have their faults im not saying perfection but IMO they do the best in the game right now when it comes down to controlling runs, plastics, weights, colors whateverrrr they kill it.

Man I ordered a 168 sure hope it's not too US. If so I'll just get a max weight.

Got my 153g Wave in the mail today... ... good disc, but unexpectedly, shockingly understable.

I use a 155 Crave as a hyzer flip laser/tail wind driver where my 168 Watermelon is straight stable. I have a 166 P Insanity that is a long turning stable/understable control driver where my buddies 150s N Insanity is just understable for me. I think the Fission is the exception to the norm, but typical 150 class gyro is a different beast. The advantage of this is having the same disc in a variety of weights for different shots. I'd try a heavy wave before something else, if I were you, just to see.

I'd try a heavy wave before something else, if I were you, just to see.

I'll probably eventually do something like that. The disc I have is great, especially when I throw it right. I'm going to work with it some more, and later on might try a Wave in the 160s...

So I had a Wave with the duality stamp pre-ordered, just got to throw it yesterday @ the field.

It's marked 168, and comparing it to the 175 I had in the bag this past weekend, it's pretty fliptastic, and seems even more nose angle sensitive. Quite noticeably more US than the max wt. I know some Gyro molds show less stability when you drop 7-8 grams, but this is the biggest difference I've experienced so far.

To be honest, I'm not sure I have the precision w/r/t nose/release angle and arm plane to control this 168. I don't throw hard enough to really get the most out of it on high all out D lines, and I struggle to keep it from flipping all the way over on low hyzer-flip type lines, even with a solid tailwind. I get more D on a consistent basis from the 175, even though it seems to have a little less glide, and drops quickly as it slows down.

I did get a couple of decent rollers out of it, which I'm not very good at, so it gets down into good roller angles pretty easily.

So I had a Wave with the duality stamp pre-ordered, just got to throw it yesterday @ the field.

It's marked 168, and comparing it to the 175 I had in the bag this past weekend, it's pretty fliptastic, and seems even more nose angle sensitive. Quite noticeably more US than the max wt. I know some Gyro molds show less stability when you drop 7-8 grams, but this is the biggest difference I've experienced so far.

To be honest, I'm not sure I have the precision w/r/t nose/release angle and arm plane to control this 168. I don't throw hard enough to really get the most out of it on high all out D lines, and I struggle to keep it from flipping all the way over on low hyzer-flip type lines, even with a solid tailwind. I get more D on a consistent basis from the 175, even though it seems to have a little less glide, and drops quickly as it slows down.

I did get a couple of decent rollers out of it, which I'm not very good at, so it gets down into good roller angles pretty easily.

For reference, how far are you throwing these, Toro?

My 166g is a little more understable but i wouldn't call it flippy. The wave in general surprised me how much HS turn it has.

For reference, how far are you throwing these, Toro?

Oh, good point. Say, about 375. With a few pushing 400, I can't get there easily, but I hit it some. The lighter one had a wider margin, like 350-400, because I was struggling to control it. I hadn't done field work in maybe 2 weeks, and it showed, form was clearly sloppy. I really had a hard time getting the ideal nose angle dialed in, especially with the 168. The 175 just felt a little more controllable, but with a more aggressive (D reducing) fade.

It was fairly windy, nothing nuts, but gusty/swirly. Probably also affected things.

Oh, good point. Say, about 375. With a few pushing 400, I can't get there easily, but I hit it some. The lighter one had a wider margin, like 350-400, because I was struggling to control it. I hadn't done field work in maybe 2 weeks, and it showed, form was clearly sloppy. I really had a hard time getting the ideal nose angle dialed in, especially with the 168. The 175 just felt a little more controllable, but with a more aggressive (D reducing) fade.

It was fairly windy, nothing nuts, but gusty/swirly. Probably also affected things.

This may not've been clear, but this class is seriously at the outer edge of my power limit, if not slightly beyond it. I'm not seeing much D difference really between the 163 F Photon and my baby broken in 168 P Tesla. Like MAYBE 10-20 ft average, mostly due to the muted fade I get from the F Pho's I'm thinking.

So if that requires a grain of salt for anyone, so be it.

Last edited:
I threw a 174 Wave and a I can't remember Photon yesterday. They were similar for me, with the Wave being slightly longer and fading later. I could not actually turn the Wave like I thought I would. Best comparison would be somewhere between Gstar and Champ Tern. Very fun discs. I could see me covering all my DD needs with 1 photon and a couple Waves. No hurry though as my courses will likely remain underwater until mid August.

I've had a 164 Fission Photon for some time now, and I just got a 165 Neutron Wave in today. I went out to a field on my lunch break to practice a new backhand grip (I'm a forehand chucker and always had minimal power throwing backhand, no matter how I adjusted my form). The Photon has consistently been my longest driver, and I've had great control with it throwing it forehand. Using the new grip for backhand, I was actually able to outdistance my fore-handed Photon with the Wave, a minor miracle for me!! It also held a nice straight line with a minor fade at the end. I need to work on some accuracy with my backhand throws, but I've found a nice 1-2 combo with the Photon and Wave.

Got a 165 wave. After throwing it a lot today it's basically going to fill a longer inertia role for me. I thought it held anny angles really well. Held anny lines even better than an inertia I thought. Maybe a longer underworld is a good comparison. I could see it being a good roller disc, although I don't throw them. So far so good though, love the disc, can't wait to get some more practice with it.

Got a 165 wave. After throwing it a lot today it's basically going to fill a longer inertia role for me. I thought it held anny angles really well. Held anny lines even better than an inertia I thought. Maybe a longer underworld is a good comparison. I could see it being a good roller disc, although I don't throw them. So far so good though, love the disc, can't wait to get some more practice with it.

:thmbup:

Got a 176 and a 166 Wave in the mail today and got some time in with them this evening.

I agree with those who have seen significant differences in stability depending on weight. One thing I've noticed about this speed class in general is that there's much more variance in stability across the weight spectrum than other MVP/Axiom molds. Not a bad thing by any means, just something new.

With that in mind, the 166 I have is very, very understable at my 375' power. It's basically unthrowable for distance; I'd have to really tone it down to aim for D with it. Maybe in a monster tail wind, but nothing more. This one will be making it up on the Marketplace soon.

The 176 is very intriguing to me. It has a very smooth and easy turn at my distance without wanting to not come back. I have to throw it on a sizable hyzer release, but given that it is very controllable. I had a few throws with it that were perhaps my farthest ever, in the 400' range, and even more ordinary throws flew nice turn-and-fade distance lines that were really predictable. It doesn't require monster room to work and net distance, which is very nice. There's something about the balance between turn and fade that seems to have a lot of potential for reproduceability in hitting the "sweet spot" release, and working those laterally sweeping distance lines. Like I said, I'm very intrigued, and eager to spend more time with it.

I would say that, for me anyway, it's very much a niche max D disc. But it has some of the most predictable turn I've ever seen from a disc in that category. The glide isn't mondo, but it's good; lots of distance potential here.

The main thing I'm wondering is, do I need this and a light Fission Photon? The heavier weight is reassuring and makes me feel comfortable laying into it, but at the same time as I gain comfort with my 140 class Photon I can get similar lines and D. They're clearly different discs given the dramatically different weights needed to fly similar lines, but I'm just wondering what the Wave adds given the flexibility that Photons have given their availability across such a spectrum of weights.

Just throwing that thought out there, as it will be my main consideration as I shake out my distance drivers this summer. The Wave is definitely an intriguing disc; I think the longer Inertia description is spot on.

Throwing the Wave also has me curious for the eventual release that falls between it and the Photon.

The Wave and Photon are next to each other in stability. The Phase is the most OS of the 21.5mm class, and the Orbital the most US. Axiom will probably fill the gap though, eventually.

The Wave and Photon are next to each other in stability. The Phase is the most OS of the 21.5mm class, and the Orbital the most US. Axiom will probably fill the gap though, eventually.

Yes, I was referring to the presumed Axiom releases.

Got a 176 and a 166 Wave in the mail today and got some time in with them this evening.

I agree with those who have seen significant differences in stability depending on weight. One thing I've noticed about this speed class in general is that there's much more variance in stability across the weight spectrum than other MVP/Axiom molds. Not a bad thing by any means, just something new.

With that in mind, the 166 I have is very, very understable at my 375' power. It's basically unthrowable for distance; I'd have to really tone it down to aim for D with it. Maybe in a monster tail wind, but nothing more. This one will be making it up on the Marketplace soon.

The 176 is very intriguing to me. It has a very smooth and easy turn at my distance without wanting to not come back. I have to throw it on a sizable hyzer release, but given that it is very controllable. I had a few throws with it that were perhaps my farthest ever, in the 400' range, and even more ordinary throws flew nice turn-and-fade distance lines that were really predictable. It doesn't require monster room to work and net distance, which is very nice. There's something about the balance between turn and fade that seems to have a lot of potential for reproduceability in hitting the "sweet spot" release, and working those laterally sweeping distance lines. Like I said, I'm very intrigued, and eager to spend more time with it.

I would say that, for me anyway, it's very much a niche max D disc. But it has some of the most predictable turn I've ever seen from a disc in that category. The glide isn't mondo, but it's good; lots of distance potential here.

The main thing I'm wondering is, do I need this and a light Fission Photon? The heavier weight is reassuring and makes me feel comfortable laying into it, but at the same time as I gain comfort with my 140 class Photon I can get similar lines and D. They're clearly different discs given the dramatically different weights needed to fly similar lines, but I'm just wondering what the Wave adds given the flexibility that Photons have given their availability across such a spectrum of weights.

Just throwing that thought out there, as it will be my main consideration as I shake out my distance drivers this summer. The Wave is definitely an intriguing disc; I think the longer Inertia description is spot on.

Throwing the Wave also has me curious for the eventual release that falls between it and the Photon.

niche distance disc feels pretty accurate for me as well.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed in the wave at this point but I haven't spent enough time to form a really solid conclusion.

niche distance disc feels pretty accurate for me as well.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed in the wave at this point but I haven't spent enough time to form a really solid conclusion.

I think we're also getting to the point in the MVP releases where we might be getting spoiled a little.

For so long, there were only one or two drivers to subsist upon, and now we have our choice of who knows how many. I think, with the Insanity being such a smash and the Fission Photon being popular, the expectations for every mold are sky high now.

That said, I love the Wave. It really gives me the extra distance over my fairways and control drivers that the Insanity only did some of the time. It's a big jump up, but I am thinking of going FDs only for fairways/control and then Waves for max D. Maybe it is because the FD is so long, but I feel like I see more of a gap between these two than I did with the FD and Insanity, and I don't sacrifice much control with the Wave. Still waiting on my 166 to show up to see how flippy it is, or if it is just easier to throw. Hoping for the latter.

I have to give the wave more of a chance before I make any real claims but it's not looking great. That could change though.

It makes sense that expectations are high but I'm not much of a fan of the photon either. That one may be due to the fission plastic. I should probably try a N photon but I'm not too excited about the chance having multiple photons and waves in the junk disc pile.

I guess I'm surprised at how unimpressive I've found MVP's distance drivers. I'm not giving up on these yet, but at some point I'll have to cut bait if I can't figure things out (due to the discs or my inability to click with them).

I have to give the wave more of a chance before I make any real claims but it's not looking great. That could change though.

It makes sense that expectations are high but I'm not much of a fan of the photon either. That one may be due to the fission plastic. I should probably try a N photon but I'm not too excited about the chance having multiple photons and waves in the junk disc pile.

I guess I'm surprised at how unimpressive I've found MVP's distance drivers. I'm not giving up on these yet, but at some point I'll have to cut bait if I can't figure things out (due to the discs or my inability to click with them).

I know you mentioned the Wave being pushed around in the wind compared to the Tern. Is that the biggest turn off, or is it distance potential in general?

I never clicked with the Tern, mostly because I couldn't control the nose angle. The Wave is a bit more forgiving for me, but still plenty touchy. Such is life at high speed.