• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Problem with Worlds Final 9

I apologize - I meant to type "Largest field for a World Championship in disc golf history"

There were 435 competitors, I don't know about BG Ams but I will say if they ran a tournament bigger than that then props to them for pulling it off! That's no easy feat.

It's been over 700 at one point, 400+ this year

What about the combined Pro/Am World's? How many people did those have?

Well those are some huge fields, props to those TD's for sure - this year was the largest Pro Worlds field though :)

1. First 6-figure purse in disc golf history.

2. Highest payout to Open winners in disc golf history.

3. First Worlds to fill the entire field in disc golf history.

4. Largest tournament field in disc golf history.
1. If you compare that to the USDGC's $80,000-90,000 purse, per capita it's relatively weak. Also if you factor inflation to the $50,000 purse of the 1979 World's, it's nearly $150,000 adjusted to 2010.

2. Check the payout to the past USDGC winners. Past winners received either $12,000-15,000 compared to this World's $7,000.

3. I'm not sure on that stat, but I'm pretty sure next year will fill.

4. Already been corrected on that one.

I agree with you. The only final 9 that I have seen personally has been the hambrick and it is out in the open of course but they do add dog legs and use all the cliff/downslope baskets back and forth. Can't really remember the exact layout but they combine 7 and 8 and make it as hard as possible. I agree with ya though, but guess the final 9 is really just more of a parade lap anyways. Realy like to hear a TD's thoughts on this in all honesty!

Best thing I've ever seen is Feldberg throw a perfect roller that slowed down on the OB road half way to the pin of the 900' hole. It kept spinning in, out, in, out, until he landed in!

TD chooses.
Exactly my point. We can talk about it all day, but the bottom line is nobody has any control over this.

Chuck Kennedy is one of the few people on this board even qualified to evaluate a Pro World's course, and he said the '09 Worlds final 9 was weak. That echos everything I head about that final 9 at the time. The layout in general was criticized and the hole that shot over the road was mocked. '09 World's was put together by a solid group of guys with a lot of years in the sport. They had pulled off KCWO as an A tier and NT for a long time, so they knew how to set up courses for the big boys. There was no reason to suspect that they would whiff on their final 9 design, but by most accounts they did.

There isn't anything in place to keep that from happening again. It's up to the organizers to set it up, and you play what they set up. That's the bottom line.

09 worlds final nine was also for pro and am worlds. the first 3 holes were blue valley 1,2,3. then a temp hole over the pond. then 4 holes on the blue valley junior course i think 5,6,7,8- it was on the junior course that avery blew up- and the final island hole which was around 480 ish.

I agree to a point. At lemon lake's pro worlds, the final 9 wasn't completely on distance and open prairie shots. It was a mix of distance and obstacles and putts. Which is an area most average players and spectators wanna watch. Anybody can get snagged in the woods. The final 9 creates that "wow factor" for the masses. I personally think high winds would be a better factor than woods.

Last edited:
I just wanna stress that Im not picking on 2011 worlds or Nate Doss or Chuck or the PDGA. I titled it as my problem with the final 9. So it's my personal disdain for the more open fake crowd manufactured oob non permt course type of scenario we usually get where it's generally driving contest and a putting contest. Basically it co
es down to someone making a mistake to get movement in scores vs someone executing an impressive risky shot or hitting some amazing line through woods. Open fields are generally more forgiving especially for 1000 rated players.
I guess it resembles the duece or die golf that everyone hates in tourneys but on a much grander scale

I'm hopeful Stan mcdaniel really puts some thought and time into his layout so that spectating photos filming and fake crowdscan be accomodated but still provide some amazing high qualty disc golf holes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Charlottes final 9 to set the standard and be a groundreaker gamechanger.

With the number of disc golfers and the huge scene in nc it might actually not be a fake crowd. Lol. Fake crowd is harsh I should just say worlds disc golfers and a handful of enthusiasts

those of us who watched the coverage had a step back view of the event and we were able to see the obvious flaws. (soccer goal)

Yeah, that one goal ruined EVERYTHING ! How can DG ever be taken serious when we have such impossible obstacles on our courses !

/Sarcasm off

Yeah, that one goal ruined EVERYTHING ! How can DG ever be taken serious when we have such impossible obstacles on our courses !

/Sarcasm off

It's not the obstacles, it's the implication that even for the premier event of our sport, we have to wander across another sport's permanent facilities. What, we don't have our own permanent fairways, holes and courses? Hard to take the sport seriously.

There was an ironic counterplay with the ad they kept running for that portable disc golf target. Where's the next hole? Seafood!

Championship course designers should start factoring crowd management into their designs. Not sure how possible that is, as tight challenging holes don't accommodate large numbers of people very well. The alternative is the distance contest with lots of gold rope, which seems to be the finals standard.

I just wanna stress that Im not picking on 2011 worlds or Nate Doss or Chuck or the PDGA. I titled it as my problem with the final 9. So it's my personal disdain for the more open fake crowd manufactured oob non permt course type of scenario we usually get where it's generally driving contest and a putting contest. Basically it co
es down to someone making a mistake to get movement in scores vs someone executing an impressive risky shot or hitting some amazing line through woods. Open fields are generally more forgiving especially for 1000 rated players.
I guess it resembles the duece or die golf that everyone hates in tourneys but on a much grander scale

I'm hopeful Stan mcdaniel really puts some thought and time into his layout so that spectating photos filming and fake crowdscan be accomodated but still provide some amazing high qualty disc golf holes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Charlottes final 9 to set the standard and be a groundreaker gamechanger.

Don't get your hopes up too high. I generally just go with the first thing that pops into my head and let it ride. Seriously though, the final 9 action will play out within the confines of the front of the park, not in the dense woodsy back nine portion of Hornet's Nest. There will likely be 5 Web holes used, one Nest hole, one Nest par 3 altered to a par 4 and two temp holes in and around the ballfields.

Also, I am not the TD and although I have input, I will not have the final say. I do think that the longer holes will offer the opportunity for long throwers to gain an advantage, but there will be risk involved. The front of the Nest is not heavily wooded but there are sufficient mature trees to keep it interesting, along with fences and the park road and spritzing of yellow rope.

I have to agree with the OP, stinks that pitch and putt would determine a champ
It really doesn't. The final 9 holes don't count any more than all the holes that preceded them. The remainder of the field doesn't get to play in the Final 9 if they didn't do as well on those preceding holes as the Top 4 do.

I agree with the general point Opti is making that these holes aren't what they could be, but some of you make it sound like the Final 9 is akin to untying an extra innings baseball game with batting practice or a soccer game with a penalty kick shootout. (Oh wait, they actually do do that in soccer).

As long as there is a push by the TD's and the PDGA to have a showcase course so a gallery can assemble, and so a DVD can be filmed some degree of challenge is going to go by the wayside.

The finals at Pinto Lake only closed holes 1,2, 17 & 18 of the normal course.

I noticed at least three groups of non-World's players walking past the action on Hole 2 to go play the rest of the course instead of watching the finals. Why? Because playing disc golf is more fun than watching disc golf.:thmbup:

During the finals we drove to De La to play the course empty in the worlds setup. :thmbup:

What I am saying is that you need to get off the computer and go play more, you average 300 posts per month and you've been playing for 1 year. You're worrying about things that are minimal and nitpicky instead of seeing the overall picture.

Go run a weekly league or dubs, then come back and bitch about running a world championship tournament...

This... :hfive:

Latest posts