• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Problem with Worlds Final 9

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I know the final 4 and the final 9 holes are supposed to be played on a wide open course so that the sport can showcase the best players with a gallery of other competitors..not fans (we don't have many) and this open course is supposed to enhance the ability to film it with not as many obstructions to block the view of the flying discs traveling 400+ feet and then wide open greens again so everyone can see and filming can be done.

The problem is typically the leader just has to play safe and without any wild holes or woods or tricky greens (the best aspects of DG though tough to film properly and tough to allow for spectating) you are left with a boring round where not much can happen unless someone misses a putt.

I find the final 9 in an open course (I know its a prerequisite of Worlds) to be a poor representation of our sport and makes for a boring finish to what really should be an amazing disc golf experience.

I'd rather see the top pros battle Nevin for the final 9 than waltz around the open holes at Eastway next year in Charlotte :thmbdown:

I doubt anyone else cares but it just bothers me.

PDGA Website pisses me off.

I'm just wondering if anyone else cares about the lack of interesting holes to finish up World's....theres really no chance for the non leaders to catch up unless the leader starts missing putts....I'd rather see an amazing shot in the woods or the leader hit an early tree..it would be so much more exciting than wide open pitch n putt...albeit it on 500 footers lol.

I'm just wondering if anyone else cares about the lack of interesting holes to finish up World's....theres really no chance for the non leaders to catch up unless the leader starts missing putts....I'd rather see an amazing shot in the woods or the leader hit an early tree..it would be so much more exciting than wide open pitch n putt...albeit it on 500 footers lol.

I agree with you. The only final 9 that I have seen personally has been the hambrick and it is out in the open of course but they do add dog legs and use all the cliff/downslope baskets back and forth. Can't really remember the exact layout but they combine 7 and 8 and make it as hard as possible. I agree with ya though, but guess the final 9 is really just more of a parade lap anyways. Realy like to hear a TD's thoughts on this in all honesty!

I agree with you. The only final 9 that I have seen personally has been the hambrick and it is out in the open of course but they do add dog legs and use all the cliff/downslope baskets back and forth. Can't really remember the exact layout but they combine 7 and 8 and make it as hard as possible. I agree with ya though, but guess the final 9 is really just more of a parade lap anyways. Realy like to hear a TD's thoughts on this in all honesty!

exactly its a parade lap and instead of trying to make disc golf shots it seems like everyone is forced to play pitch-n-putt

I know in the past they combined holes and add oob etc. but it's just not really disc golf to me...well at least not the kind of DG I want to see the top players in the world play to determine the World's Championship

What if they tried adding a bunch of artificial OB (ala Winthrop) to an open course? The leader might still be playing safe, but the others might try to unleash a few bombs and hope they land inbounds.

What if they tried adding a bunch of artificial OB (ala Winthrop) to an open course? The leader might still be playing safe, but the others might try to unleash a few bombs and hope they land inbounds.

Probably the only thing that can be done but I don't like it

So we gimmick up the showcase of disc golf :doh:

I would be curious where the final 9 in Charlotte will be held

Renny Gold final 9 at least has some true risk/reward chances and putting is an adventure and is semi open so a gallery and filming could occur.

I'd prefer a true mix of great tighter woods elevation open shots and water but I dont know how you'd accomodate the filming...oh wait maybe have more than 1 camera :doh:

Eh, the main points have been hit. You want it open so it looks like bolf in the pictures with the gallery and such. Open disc golf is boring. Either you play some challenging holes and have your gallery hidden behind trees in the pictures, or you play boring golf and get your pretend spectators in the frame.

Final 9's traditionally are contrived photo-ops where competition really isn't the idea. Back in the day we didn't have final 9's. They stared having them at World's to get pictures where it looked like they had a crowd and everybody copied it. Now you have final 9's at events where nobody is even taking pictures. Because of that people now think final 9's are about the competition, but at the big events it's still about the photo op.

I'd rather see fans behind trees, hell in the trees, or behind the tee, and have watched the nine holes at DeLaVega and finish with the on top of the world shot than what we get every year with the fake gallery and boring course

i said it yesterday and i'm saying it again... move the damn soccer goal.

What do you mean they dont have a chance to catch up? By the time they start the finals they have allready played 108 holes, if thats not enough to make a move then quit playing. On top of that you have a aditional 18 to make ground just to make the final 9 holes. There were several strokes lost in previous rounds that cost non-winners. Congrats Nate, you earned this win.

What do you mean they dont have a chance to catch up? By the time they start the finals they have allready played 108 holes, if thats not enough to make a move then quit playing. On top of that you have a aditional 18 to make ground just to make the final 9 holes. There were several strokes lost in previous rounds that cost non-winners. Congrats Nate, you earned this win.

I'm not dissing Nate

I just think the final 9 should be something more than a victory parade on a soccer field....it should be competitive and have some drama

Imagine the 4 x100 relay in olympics with the final 100 just a stroll to the finish and smile for the camera

The Daytona 500 just everyone go 35 mph please we dont want blurry pics of the racecars

Championship Game 7 hey lets all just go through the motions so the camera guys can get good pics

Only in Disc Golf do we get a farce of a finish...typically (I'm sure there have been tighter finishes but it shouldnt come down to a driving and putting contest...there are other elements to our sport

It's not that I disagree, but there are shots like the last one they played that would take some production to present. I'm not sure I get what that hole was like because there was no overhead or graphic to show you the hole, and after the players drove you just watched them stare into the woods. It provided the kind of golf you want to see (evidenced by the error of Val hitting the tree on her second shot and essentially ending the Women's side) but it was bad viewing off the tee without more production. I'm not sure we have the money for that kind of production.

That's assuming you care about televising the event. Certainly if you don't care about photo ops or DVD coverage, wide open golf is just boring golf.

Id agree the final nine doesn't represent the sport very well. Problem is most courses that are true challenges don't offer great ops for cameras or many spectators. One of ways to see spectator friendly courses that offer a great challenge is on some private course where the owner is able and willing to spend some money. We just aren't to that point yet.

Last edited:
Only in Disc Golf do we get a farce of a finish...typically (I'm sure there have been tighter finishes but it shouldnt come down to a driving and putting contest...there are other elements to our sport
I wouldn't really call it a farce. It's just a certain type of golf. Guys from Oklahoma will see this thread and wonder WTF we are bitching about because wide-open long disc golf is their game.

I wouldn't really call it a farce. It's just a certain type of golf. Guys from Oklahoma will see this thread and wonder WTF we are bitching about because wide-open long disc golf is their game.

yeah farce is a bit of a strong word...but then the OKIES would have an advantage in most final 9s. LOL

For the record I do think Renny could accomodate a spectacular final 9...next year in Charlotte. Although I've heard many pros bitch about the baskets and oob ditches..but it would be a very fun final 9 to watch..definetely enough room and places for cameras and gallery...but at the same time great placement challenges, crazy putting scenarios, and woods to make me happy watching pros actually compete.