• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Naming of divisions

Smigles

* Ace Member *
Well the thread about transgender players got me thinking about how we named our divisions...

Mpo isnt really "M", women can play there too. FPO isnt really "O", cause men can not play there.

MPO should be "PO"
FPO should be "FP"
MP40 should be "O40"
FP40 is fine
MP50 should be "O50"
FP50 is ifne

etc.

Thoughts?

The "M" in "MPO," "MA1," etc. stands for "mixed," not "men." As in, women can play there if they want to.

Generally we don't, though, because it's more fun to play with other women, we don't much care for getting our asses relentlessly kicked, and if we go by ratings, I play either FPO with committed pro women who are courteous, know the rules, act like pros, etc., or I can play MA3, where it's a complete clown show, and I have to do all the emotional labor of enforcing the rules on a bunch of guys, any one of whom could suddenly turn out to be a cry-bully who is so thin-skinned that he can't stand a woman telling him anything, and now my whole afternoon is spent coddling the hurt feelings of a grown-ass adult man.

(This is not made-up. I have played a LOT of tourneys as the only FPO player, and the TD looked at ratings and threw me on a card with three or four rec dudes. Almost every time, one of them was a problem man-child like I described above.)

Well the thread about transgender players got me thinking about how we named our divisions...

Mpo isnt really "M", women can play there too. FPO isnt really "O", cause men can not play there.

MPO should be "PO"
FPO should be "FP"
MP40 should be "O40"
FP40 is fine
MP50 should be "O50"
FP50 is ifne

etc.

Thoughts?

Well for starters, the M stands for Mixed.

Last edited:
The "M" in "MPO," "MA1," etc. stands for "mixed," not "men." As in, women can play there if they want to.

if we go by ratings, I play either FPO with committed pro women who are courteous, know the rules, act like pros, etc., or I can play MA3, where it's a complete clown show

Well so much for where i went wrong haha :doh:

And I can absolutely understand the FPO vs MA3 shinanigans.

It literally makes no sense that a 850 rated guy can compete with a 950 rated guy in the age protected divisions. Instead of having ma50, ma55 they should have had ma50rec, ma50adv and put a rating cap on ma50rec. HUGE mistake imop. Still would be playing other old guys, just better competition giving others a chance to climb off the bottom once in a while.

It literally makes no sense that a 850 rated guy can compete with a 950 rated guy in the age protected divisions. Instead of having ma50, ma55 they should have had ma50rec, ma50adv and put a rating cap on ma50rec. HUGE mistake imop. Still would be playing other old guys, just better competition giving others a chance to climb off the bottom once in a while.

Cool, a bunch of divisions with one person in it.
You continually ignore the fact that not everyone is motivated to play tournaments to win.

It is not a HUGE mistake.

Do some people like to 'play up' in a higher-rated division, to get better and learn? Are they allowed to do that?

Honestly, I support nothing that constitutes adding MORE divisions, not less.

Do some people like to 'play up' in a higher-rated division, to get better and learn? Are they allowed to do that?

Yes they do, but keep in mind that after the first round you'll be grouped by score. So someone who really doesn't belong in the division will be playing with the lowest scoring players for the remaining rounds anyways.

Nope.
You take your penis and your rating and sit in your box.

Yes they do, but keep in mind that after the first round you'll be grouped by score. So someone who really doesn't belong in the division will be playing with the lowest scoring players for the remaining rounds anyways.

Okay, so which is it? :confused:

Just to clarify, I was asking to get a better understanding in relation to how chess tournaments are run. Nothing to do with male anatomy or egos...

Add a "Old Fart Oasis" division for Three Putt. Also, no age restriction...because I'm 29 and play like I'm 50+

Really?

Do you have a Zuca cart but only 9 discs, enjoy complaining and hearing complaints non-stop, list your replacement parts and most recent surgeries before every round, refuse to acknowledge any rules created after 1994, take two minutes to catch your breath after climbing 20 feet, use a 142g driver to get a max-distance throw of 220 feet, have absolutely no interest in the standings, try to stretch out rounds to kill more time, and get most of your calories from the corn starch in Ibuprofen tablets?

Be careful who you wish to play with.

How about bracket divisions, you know, sorta like drag racing. Once you break out of your bracket, you are forced to move up.

Require a pro card to play in any of the bracket classes. This could even improve the game as perhaps a qualifier for the pro card would be an annual rule refresher course. Maybe then we could get pros on lead card to quit breaking the rules.

IMO, the problem isn't with pros not knowing the rules. Anyone playing an NT has to be a certified official.

The trouble is with getting people to ENFORCE the rules. Or at least paying attention when others are throwing.

Latest posts