• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NE IN Hope u got a boat 'cause what's DG

WindyCityROCer

Par Member
for 30+ years, I've been spending summer holiday's at my uncle's lakehouse in Angola, IN...

after taking a few years off from vacationing there, and in the meantime, getting addicted to DG, I was shocked to find out that there aren't really any local courses (ie 30 min drive)... Well, my cousin's boyfriend and I are both avid DGer's, but due to scheduling and our locations (we live about 250 miles apart) the summer holidays (Memorial, Labor, and 4th of July) are about the only times we really get to hang out....

Can anyone PLEASE give me advise on where the heck to go play... when it comes to family, fam time is IMPORTANT, and we can't really sacrifice a whole day/overnight to dg.... so what are the options for a "half day trip" (wake up at butt crack of dawn, go to Tom's Doughnuts...MMMM.. spend an hour driving, get in 2-3 rounds, drive back in time for late dinner with the fam???)

I know there's a few courses in Ft Wayne (Shoaff, Swinney) one in Elkhart, and a few in OH that pop up in the "hour-ish drive radar"

so what's really worth playing????

...and yes, I have had dreams of a course at Pokageon State Park

Um, if you are considering elkhart...I would go to Ox Bow in goshen (right next to elkhart) for another half hour drive on US20 you can hit south bend/mishawaka Which will have Rum Village and George Wilson Park....you can also hit Baugo in there if you want....I have 4 courses within a 10m radius of my house....

Rum Village is a fun course. I play there pretty often in the warmer months. Also, I highly recommend Bertrand Park in Niles, Michigan (only a 10-15 minute drive north of Rum Village). A real nice wooded course, whereas Rum Village has huge trees but is fairly open.

You can always browse the courses on this site (map feature works well).

Delt Church park was fun, but a little too open and long for me. It's my only course played near Angola.
Carter, Vienna, Parmalee, and Ottawa parks near Toledo should only be about 1 1/2 hours or so away, and I could easily be a guide on those.

Peru courses!

I know it's farther south, but if you can meet with him and his family,Go camping/DG for the weekend/week? If so I Highly recommend the Peru area! Great courses and you have your choice on camping. France,Mississenwa,Honey bear all have camping.honeybear will be central of all the courses,with a lot of other things for the family to do while DGing. They are great people with, I believe Saturday night DG doubles. One GREAT pro shop! and the 1st DG course in Indiana, installed in 1978. Which means Ed Headrick was the designer. A great wooded little course!

I'd go to Rum Village in South Bend along with Wilson Pk in Mishawaka, both courses are literally on the same road (different street names in different towns). Getting there wouldn't take much more than one hour I'd guess and aren't far from the highway exit.

I really like Rum Village since it was extended a few years back, (the tee signs need much improvement). Both courses have great elevation changes and a lot of funs holes. Nothing too tight in the woods.

I dislike Oxbox myself. I started playing at Bertrand in Niles in 1986 and play Rum and Wilson at least once a year now when back in my hometown.

Latest posts